84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Nothingbetters 85 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothingbetters 85 pickup build thread.

First post is stupid long FYI. (just so you get caught up on its story)

So, where to start. The info in the theard might be kinda mixed up as I'm going to type it down as I remember it. My 88 ford ranger was dying a slow death and I needed to replace it...with something older of course. Looked way too long online, and being picky It took a while. I wanted a Toyota, had to be a pickup. solid axle. I'm 6'1" so an extra cab was needed. Not a rust bucket. Preferably already tastefully modded. Not 37s under 2 inches of lift with a welded rear end and call it good. (plenty of those out there, waste of perfectly good trucks if you ask me). My price was quite open and I was willing to pay for what I got if I deemed it worthy of the cost. And I eventually found it. A project a guy ran out of funds on (for obvious reasons) and was tired of looking at it. So here comes the long list of stuff done to it when I bought it for $6500.

85 pickup
extra cab
new windshield
no crack dash
Fresh paint (garage job)
Fibreglass boxsides
6 inch Marlin Crawler (MC) lift (comes as kit with everything needed and all supporting mods such as longer braided steel brake lines, shock hoops, bilstein shocks ect)
35x12.5.15 Micky T Baja mtz with little stubbies still, on Dick cepek rims
35x12.5.15 bfg at (brand new, with stickers) on boring chev rims
7mgte from an 87 supra swapped and running with enough supporting mods to leave black patches across intersections (no/low compression on cylinders 1 and 6 when I bought it)
Box full of spare engine electronic bits and other peices.
spare turbo.
MC high steer
MC driveline parking brake
MC front bumper with stinger
MC rear bumper
MC Rock sliders
ARB in front diff
Downey locker in rear
5.29 gears
Factory w56 tranny
superwinch 8500
NO NOTICEABLE RUST (except for tailgate but it was wrecked anyways)
A bunch of other stuff not worth mentioning

The underside of the cab in boxlinered, same with all the body armour, engine bay, under the box, inside the box and other places I'm sure. The previous owner did it as a frame off build so he covered the frame in boxliner too. Essentially, the only thing left stock in this truck is the interior, body and the drive train except the engine. Everything else was modded, changed, rebuilt ect. Some exceptions apply of course. And it had only been driven about 500km since the build up then the engine died.

So this is where the fun begins. I'm 19, just spent more money than I ever have on a truck that needs an engine rebuild. Woo. Thankfully my old man used to work in an engine shop and has a passion for Toyotas as well, so the engine gets rebuilt in the driveway/garage. Turns out the PO managed to crack pistons 1 and 6 in the 500km he had it on the road. He said he was a heavy duty mechanic, but apparently he is a terrible one. My guess is he didn't tune the fuel curve properly using the little computer (safc) and killed it with a lean spot at a high rpm. Either way. Its toast. So engine is built and installed and running, turbo rebuilt as it was leaking oil like a seive. Yay.

So over the past 2 years of owning it (im now 21, duh) I've learn't more about engines and electronics than I ever thought possible. Good thing there was a box of spare engine electronics. It stays behind the seat at all times. Not to say it isn't reliable, but com'on, its 27years old, stuff happens. I've learn't that everything in life is a compromise. EVERYTHING!!! And I've learn't to buy it once, buy it right, install it YOURSELF and then you don't have second thoughts about quality of products or workmanship. Since owning, I've done plenty of engine tuning, modding to try many different setups and figure out which adjustments cause what results. Installed an ARB locker in the rear axle as a race with a cummins ate my downey. It was locked solid for a week while the arb came in but I won the race so it was worth it. I used a spare hood and a scoop from an 06 tacoma, and made myself a cowl hood to reduce under hood temps and make room for the blow off valve. I added/fixed/maintained this that and the other thing several times over. Went through countless tubes of grease. But that not why I started this tread.

I happen to be a bodyman so that makes this whole re-paint much easier and cheaper. Paint, labour and shop space is free. I just pay for stuff like body filler, sandpaper ect. Being as it was painted in his garage the paint is dirty, all the panals are wavy, its obvious he had no idea what he was doing and used lots of filler to do it. The fibreglass box sides have started cracking off and are now flapping in the wind. The fenders are dented a bit ect. I always get asked "did you do the body youeself?" HELL NO! I did the hood. I take credit for that. So I've been on the hunt for another box since the day I bought it. 2 years later. Finally found one. A guy who started a restoration but called it off. Fiberglass box, tailgate, fenders, fuel filler door and all hardware, new in shipping crate from ToyotaFiberglass.ca/com for $2000. Price on site is $2900 for all before shipping. Sold. Bought some new aftermarket doors for $200 each. So I'm only re-using the cab and hood. The rest is for sale if you want it.

And this is where I'm at right now. Road tripping to Calgary to pick up all the fibreglass stuff tomorrow. Hopefully get this finished in the next few weeks. Plenty of pics to come.

And before some of you start jumping to conclusions. My parents don't have a penny into this. They've never given me money. Not even a quarter for the gumball machine. From that I've learn't to not waste money and have had full time employment from the day I graduated high school.

Last edited by nothingbetter; 06-11-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet. Glad to hear another supra swap. Im running a 7mge in mine but have a built gte in an 82 supra

Last edited by 7m4x4dude; 03-12-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 PM

Just got home from picking up my box and other stuff. Figured I'd be in bed but that coffee I drank to stay awake for the drive is still working. Barely needed to use to turbo (2-3psi) to make it up most hills pulling the trailer with the box on it. I love this engine. The only time I had to down shift was when 5th gear started making some bad sounding grinding noises while pulling a good hill. So I drove the rest of the way home in 4th. Reckon its time I put in my spare tranny. Its been making funny noises since the day I bought it anyways.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:01 PM

My wonderful tow rig. Not the best handling as the trailer is a bit longer than the truck but hey, it works! Metal filings havn't taken out tranny seals yet! *thumbs up* Maybe I should see how long it lasts?

Old 03-24-2012, 03:56 PM

Bodywork has been stalled for a few months. I bought a long box expecting to be able to bob it to short box length. But after closer inspection doesn't seem like the best idea. Talked to "slacker" at Toyotafiberglass.com so I'm on the waiting list. Sounds like around September is when my turn comes up. Hoping to get a high clerance box, but he doesn't have the mold for it yet. Crossing my fingers it will be done by the time mine gets made. Made some rocker panels the other day after work so I'll probally change those. as theres a bit of rust creeping put from under them. But thats next weekend.

Changed out my tranny and t-case today from a parts truck I had a while back. I have 5 gears again! Had to "modify" the floor board a bit as the shifters were 3 inches farther forward on this tranny. But hey, it fits!
Old 03-25-2012, 03:55 PM

More pics please. Sounds like a nicely put together truck.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:54 PM

Old 03-25-2012, 08:58 PM

We can call these the "before" pictures. They were all taken about a year ago. No major cosmetic changes since then.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shout out to a fellow canuck awsome truck dude hope mine comes out as nice. lol great site for yota goodies btw....but sadly my wallet is soooo small
Old 05-23-2012, 07:08 PM

i want to see the motor
Old 05-25-2012, 04:33 AM

I cleaned up the engine bay a bit now. Got rid of some wires/hoses ect. I'll try and do more when the engine is out.

So for an update. I have one week of school left, then I'm off to costa rica for a week. My 6 cylinder engine has been running as a 5 cylinder for the past 2 weeks. I have 20psi compression in cylinder #6. There have been numerous small issues, with this engine since I built it. They all added up to another rebuild. Rats.

All the parts are ordered and should be in the mail box when I get back from the beaches. So I'll start on the engine rebuild asap. I have dreams to paint it and make it nice and pretty again. I regret not doing it last time so may as well take advantage of the situation. I'll take a few pics during the rebuild process.

If all goes well, I figure it should be done in a week. one evening to pull it, one to tear it down, one to clean/prep the block/head, one to paint, one to put the block together. And a weekend to slide it back in the engine bay and for finishing touches. But as I'm well aware, something is going to pop up and I'm going to run across a problem so it will probally take closer 2 weeks to finish.

Rememebr that fiberglass box I bought? Its conditionally sold, the guy is going to come pick it up for $1700 as soon as I'm home again. Now I play the waiting game for the other one to be ready.

Last edited by nothingbetter; 05-25-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:05 PM

Back home from school now. Started tearing stuff off the engine tonight. A bit more trouble shooting shows that its not the rings that are causing my low compression, its one of the valves giving me grief. I know all the troubles this engine has been through since the last build and I have all the parts sitting here for a complete, so I'll do it all again anyways. I'd hate to only do the head and realize I'm still 10psi low on one cylinder. Peace of mind is worth a lot.

Hoping to get it pulled tomorrow if I don't drink as much as I did tonight. Due to my camera getting stolen while is costa rica you will only get crappy ipod pics...unless I get another one soon. But I spent all my $ on truck parts and beer...
Old 07-19-2012, 09:05 PM

long due progess report. I called it WAY wrong. 2 pistons had cracked ring lands. Had some extras sitting around from the last rebuild. Had the head machined flat, Decided to go against the mhg as I wasn't convinced the mating surfaces were smooth enough. Either way, I got it running again about a month ago. No problems so far. Change the fuel map a bit and its good to drive! Sorry for not taking pictures, but it drives me crazy stopping all the time to snap a shot. plus, as above, stolen camera. I'm a head down and get it done kinda guy. But I did manage to get some with a friends camera after it was fully built. Not everyone can appreciate engines, but everyone can appreciate shiny!

Called Slacker today, and we're hoping for early sept to get my greedy hands on a box. Possibly do the rest of the truck before then and do the box seperate. ANyone know where I can get some full length rockers? The ones I bent up are only 3 feet long as thats the longest length my break will hold. Cab corners too?

Last edited by nothingbetter; 07-19-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 PM

Great looking yota! That engine all painted up looks nice!! I'm thinking its about time I go get me another 7mge to build up and paint lol you gave me inspirations! So what's the word on your fiberglass box? Did it go through? How's the toyota treatin you??
Old 10-03-2012, 09:44 PM

Trucks looking good. That motor is sexy as hell.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:14 PM

Thanks! Its not very often the engine is all apart so I figured I may as well paint it...even if the engine bay is too full to see anything.

Naturally tehre were issues on the fiberglass end of busy super busy, so I'm looking at my box being ready about now. But Since I'm out of town for the next 4 weeks it will have to wait untill I get back. Sounds like I'll have to have the box shipped to me though. Too bad as I was looking forward to the 10 hour road trip. Nothing like some quality truck time to sooth the soul.

At this rate I'm crossing my fingers I can get it done by christmas. Which works out as our body shop slows down around then so I'll have lots of time to work on it.

These things always take longer than expected. Heck...I'm already about a year behind where I wanted to be!

Last edited by nothingbetter; 10-14-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:01 PM

Have you read from the beginning? Pictures to come. Camera is still at the shop (oops)

big progess report. This has been done in the last week. I put in 22 hours this weekend on it. I got my box and tailgate from slacker. It came out to came to $2900 give or take for the box, tailgate, mounting hardware, shipping crate, shipping. That was a week ago. So I instantly started work on it. Box came first.

Our shop sprays "bulldog" boxliner. Its chemically the same as line-x. So flipped the box over and sprayed the underside of it with the boxliner. I also sprayed up to the first body line on the lowers and a centimeter up around the wheel wells. The purpose being it will seal off all the exposed fiberglass edges so they don't have a chance to absorb moisture as well as stop the majority of rock damage.

So with the box flipped over again. Time to start body work. Being fiberglass, its wavy. Theres no way around it. So I tried to start blocking but came to the realization that the epoxy primer clogs my sand paper really fast. It balls up when you sand it. Be prepared to go through lots of sand paper. So I ended up sanding most of that primer off and starting from scratch as it was easier and gave me a solid idea what was underneath it. So I put some filler on the major areas I knew would need it, prepped the whole thing in 180, masked and then sprayed on high build primer. The HB primer has a decent mil thickness on it and works well to take out the waves in the boxsides. So I started blocking that with my long board and 120 grit once dried. It made a HUGE difference in the apperance. A few other areas had some defect I missed originally so a small amount of filler was used for those and with pin holes...which there are lots of in fiberglass. So after my blocking and then prepping the whole thing in 180, It was primed again. This time in the booth so it came out a bit smoother and I didn't get as high on fumes. The sides look MUCH better this time around. I figure its acceptable for fiberglas so this is where the box is at right now. In its second coat of primer.

I was not impressed with the "hook" portion on the top of the box sides. One side was nicely done and the other side looks a fair bit wavy-er than the first. Its looks like a bunch of c clamps were used to hold the boxside on. The good side has lots of small waves from the pressure points for the legnth of the box side. The not so good side must have used less clamps and more pressure because there are waves That I will not be able to remove by just blocking and some filler will be needed.

I did some small repairs on the outside of my new doors, primed them. Then prepped the inside of the doors, seam sealed the bejesus out of them, then painted the inside of my doors the grey colour of the two tone paint scheme I am going for (which will be discussed later) They're now all shiny and pretty. My goal is to make these doors as rust proof as possible so the bottoms don't rot away like my current doors. We have a few products that will be used on the inside of the door after its painted that will seep between the skin and shell to help resist moisture ect. More of that when I get to it.

I also got the fenders done today. Same process as the box. Noticeable filler work, primed, blocked, pinholes, prime again. The gap between the door and the fender is cut to long when the fenders are made so you can "make your own gap" which is a good idea. But at the same time its a real pain. It took me 2 hours to fit each fender and get the gaps so they were acceptable. I had to drill all the holes as well. This was very difficult to get these fenders right. If your holes were drilled in the wrong spot you were screwed. Some of the curves on the fenders arn't correct so I'm going to need to "shim" one of them out at the mid door body line so it matches the line on the door. I plan on spraying boxliner on the inside of the fenders and around the wheel well lip as well.

The tailgate is a bit more wavy than the last one I did. Same process as the other stuff. filler and prime. I'll block it tomorrow and hopefully re-prime to smooth it out. I'd like to get it painted before the week is over as it takes a REALLY long time to two tone the letters. I had aboout 6 hours into paint for the last one. That is some tricky masking for those letters.

So I painted the inside of my hood, new hood hinges (last ones were bent) and the inside of my doors.

My plan right now is to get the box mounting figured out this week along with the tailgate latch mounting. along with my final blocking and prepping of box, gate, fenders and doors. Then *fingers crossed* get all of it painted except the cab and hood this weekend. Then it can sit there while I get the rest done the following week. I still need to change my rockers and fix the damage on the cab. The hood has one small dent and will take very little time. Naturally, in order to get access to my rockers I need to cut off my rock sliders. Not looking forward to that.

Please ask questions and leave your comments!

Last edited by nothingbetter; 12-13-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 PM

I'll try and post more often as things get done. These long posts take a long time to type and to read. Sorry!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:18 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
you have a PM

Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 PM

I've neglected this thread. oops. Picture time.

Under side of box after its been boxlinered.

wheel well lips

3 half filled holes on each box side

after the holes were feathered out, ready for filling.

In first coat of high build primer

Last edited by nothingbetter; 12-13-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Nothingbetters 85 pickup