84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Bugzman's 1985 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some Rancho 5000's would look and feel sweet on that truck
im looking into some bilsteins. but i cant figure out what valving to get. I guess i have lots of research ahead of me.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blisteins are nice while your doing your reasearch you ought to look at BDS springs they are a nice setup.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:57 PM

Flex Pics. Finally

Sorry for it being night, but i dont really know if i can get in trouble for being here. but here are some before and after chevys pictures.

Before.

After

The Springs have more to give, but my shocks maxed out on both sides. so I def. need longer shocks.

PLus My buddys Xterra
Old 03-11-2011, 09:07 PM

Lookin good Bugz. That Xterra is pretty cool too
Old 04-04-2011, 02:05 PM

just an update, started to get a weird clicking sound from my drive train. turned out the sound was a u joint going bad. while diagnosing the sound, I found that my pinion nut was kind of loose. so i'm fixing both problems with upgrades. new u joints on the way from trail gear. and an E Locker was just bought for $551 shipped to my door. I wanted one cheaper but they are quite hard to find in California.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:07 PM

it may be hard to see but there are small ribs all the way around the joint. new ones went in today, problem fixed

E locker should be here tomorrow. Cant freakin wait!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 PM

When my buddy does the U joints o his 84 they always look like that. He does them like 3-4 times a year cuz his pinion angle is way outta wakk. I can't wait to see the E-locker install!!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 PM

yeah i know i'm a little late to the party but i was just wondering if and how you pinned the yota shackles down so they don't unload on the pavement? and have you noticed any wierd spring movment if they are not pinned. every search i've done has come back that it's an unstable set up on a street driven rig.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:31 PM

yeah i know i'm a little late to the party but i was just wondering if and how you pinned the yota shackles down so they don't unload on the pavement? and have you noticed any wierd spring movment if they are not pinned. every search i've done has come back that it's an unstable set up on a street driven rig.
I dont have anything holding them from unloading. so far i have put about 1500 miles on this set up and at first i started to go a little shaking in the bed around 65mph, but then I want back and made sure everything was tight and found a little bit on looseness on the chevy shackle to the spring. tightend it up and no more shakes, so far had it up the 90mph and had no difference in feeling from before i did the swap.

then again I replaced the bushings in the springs and shackles, so that helps limit play. i wonder is the guys that have had issues stuck with warn out bushings.

only thing i worried about is a steep decline. I have heard they can unload and send you end over end. so i may make some short little straps for those cases.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:55 AM

"only thing i worried about is a steep decline. I have heard they can unload and send you end over end. so i may make some short little straps for those cases."

that's what i read and that they unload during the imfamose so cal holly sh!# cut off by another driver stop and make the truck unstable.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:22 PM

Twin Stick install in single tcase

finally got some time to pull out the transfer case and install my twin stick i got back at Christmas.

everything went super smooth. the instrustions from trail gear were probably the best in instructions ever. even giving you the solutions to commen mistakes made.

got the T case out in about 45 min.

had the pin removed in about 10 mins. and was ready to put it back in.

once i got it back in place i checked for clearance and everything was fine except that when in low range the trans shifter would hit in 4th gear.

so i pulled the trans shifter and with help of a little cheater bar bent it just enough to clear.
I didnt even need to clear the tranny tunnel which was nice.

i wanted to keep the stock look and keep my little concel thing, so i put the right stick into the existing hole on the leather boot thing and then just made a small cut in the leather so the left stick could poke through.

I think it came out very clean. and works great. so now i wont have to have it 4wd to get low range which will help with having the aussie in the front axle.

Update: i have had 4 sales on the Elocker fall through on the 5th now. hopefully if all goes well with this one. I will have it in about a week and a half. I pay the man tomorrow. I cant help but be excited!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:04 PM

Elocker shows up on Thursday. I feel like a little tot waiting for Christmas morning.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:12 PM

I could only imagine your anticipation. That E locker is gonna rock!!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:24 PM

elocker is gonna be sweet goodluck bugz
Old 04-25-2011, 09:43 PM

Elocker Retro Fit

Electric Locker showed up and was a great start to my week. I came out of a 1996 4runner manual. between Class and work i was able to pull the rear end out and start the retro fit. this is what i got done in 8 hours.

I first checked the thing out to make sure there wasnt any weird play, and that the motor worked properly. I was told by the guy i bought it from that there was a slight gear noise when he pulled it, which i could see on the wear pattern on the gears. im not going to deal with this now cause im going to regear both axles coming up here pretty soon. Ill go through the thing then.

I bought everything i need from low range offroad. they where the only ones that i found who had everything in one place. plus I really liked there switch.

I decided to make my own wiring harness, first because of money and second because I think i can so a cleaner job.

everything went very smooth except you end up putting and pulling that dang 60 lbs diff like 100 times and its doing a number on my back.

my biggest bump in the road was after i did the fill weld to make the gasket surface i seemed to kind of warp two studs but after a slight tapping, it fits like a glove.

made a switch plate and mounted the switch because the one thing my truck didnt come with was cruise control. so it makes for a great spot for the switch.

if homework permits, I should have it back under the truck and running by tommorrow. but definitly but the week end cause i'm going camping.

Plus, I got a Go pro camera so I should come back with some sweet wide angle shoots.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:27 PM

Installed, Locked and rolling!. super smooth install. and works great. hitting the trail this weekend to test it all out. with the chevys and the e locker, I may be able to stay in 2 wheel drive the whole time. but we will see.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:29 PM

Looks good. I am jealous of the E locker. Let us know how it works if you use it!!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:15 PM

just a teaser, more to come plus a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpnrj...el_video_title
Old 05-01-2011, 04:03 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Good one. I was going to ask if you aired down, but I heard your comment.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:13 PM

Good one. I was going to ask if you aired down, but I heard your comment.
I was going to but it wasnt worth it. I wasnt running the whole trail so i didnt want to air down just to air back up. but I would have made that section a little easier.

Quick Reply: Bugzman's 1985 Pickup Build-Up Thread