84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

85 Extra Cab Saved from Crusher

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive seen it happen when theres a ridge at the top an the ring gets just into it gets in a bind PING snaps the ring then it digs in breaks the piston and or galls the cylinder wall old engine an the rings are dry or hasnt been run in awhile

an thank ya terry for having a friend who can pull the parts an go HEY that might work! lol
Old 03-29-2013, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tagged for interest in the 120 amp alternator. If it bolts right up, that would be a dream come true.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello Cyberhorn...To bad it just didnt ruin the piston but the block as well. I dont scrap anything that is good. I will scrap two blocks and save the other for someone who may need it. I did some parts swapping witha friend of mine and he is giving me a good block.

I will post what I have found out so far on the 94 alternators in WD 40s.

Hello WD 40.. Welcome to my thread. It is starting a little slow but will eventually get completed. I talked to both guys and for the experinece that they have over me, I really thought they would know. One said they are the same alternators but the plugs are different. I asked if the plugs could be swapped and he didnt know.

The other guy never thought of it. I was at the bone yard today and they didnt have any 94 or even the newer ones. If it is possible to swap with a 94 and maybe a newer one, I would prefer that over a GM swap. I will see about trying to find a 94 alternator and seeing why it cant be done. I might ask if one of the parts stores will order me one just so as I can look at it and see.

If I can get some pictures of it and the wiring diagram, Rad4Runner really understands electric and could give some info into this. I will see what I can find and PM him or ask him on his thread and he would be able to give some info.

I talked to 2 guys today that should know more then me on it. Both said they were the same alternator but the plugs are different.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I went to the bone yard and they have an 86 camper in there. I got one of the wiring harnesses that was going to be a big hold up on this build. Also got to talk to Driedel and he has come across one and am planning on doing some part swapping and get that one as well. It is either none or a hundred. Just glad I got one. Jason in tn has one for me as well, but suggested he see if it will fix his runner.

The fuel injector harness is one that runs thru the firewall on the passenger side and is fairly easily removed. I have swapped a couple of harnesses and always get confused on which connects where when someone has asked me so am just making a note for myself to refer to.

Also got the harness to hook up my radio, lighter, and clock.

Fuel injector harness has TPS,CSI,CSI Time Switch,Thermos Switch, Starter connector (brown connector), and the ones that run to tranny area.
Name:  salvage2_zpsd5aba900.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  56.5 KB
Old 03-29-2013, 12:53 PM

if all it is, is cutting a connector off an wiring it into the harness look out junk yards
Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet Terry... know what you mean about feast or famine... thats the way it is with everything... when you need it can't find one to save your life... when you've found one (finally) 10 show up... [and you lack the $ to get any of them - Sod's Law]
Old 03-31-2013, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn...I have two junk yards in my area and there might be 8 trucks in both of them and no 94s. It is something I really want to look into when I hopefully do find one. The yards here are used to seeing me that they wont charge me a whole lot if and when the get one. Really hope it works.

Hello aviator...That is the way it does go. So far I have been getting everything at about the right time and have been on a lucky streak lately.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Seems like no matter how fast or hard I try, I am not making much progress. But working on the 86 Extra cab, my 85 extra cab, chasing parts and working on the shop, I do feel like I am making some progress.

A friend of mine did some part swapping and I got a tailgate for a runner that was involved in a roll over and it had several parts I have been needing. I also got a great block from him with pistons. I have the rest of the other parts that I need to get it back together. So this will be a full blown rebuild of the motor. That is going to take a little time as I need to get the funds up for the machine work. Yeah!! the money thing. It is always the hold up.grrr..

New Block in the middle shelf and the parts block on the lower shelf of my awesome wood working skills. When it comes to wood working, I do have to turn in my man card as carpentry is not my strongest point. But I have been getting alot of the wood for free as a friend of mines barn got torn down by a storm and it is just a matter of me and going and getting the materials. Still got some more to do to the shop, but getting sheets of plywood cuts into my build funds, then I have to get everything reorganized when I get a section completed.
Name:  block5_zps4d57d819.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  92.8 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-04-2014 at 03:15 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Seems like no matter how fast or hard I try, I am not making much progress. But working on the 86 Extra cab, my 85 extra cab, chasing parts and working on the shop, I do feel like I am making some progress.

A friend of mine did some part swapping and I got a tailgate for a runner that was involved in a roll over and it had several parts I have been needing. I also got a great block from him with pistons. I have the rest of the other parts that I need to get it back together. So this will be a full blown rebuild of the motor. That is going to take a little time as I need to get the funds up for the machine work. Yeah!! the money thing. It is always the hold up.grrr..

New Block in the middle shelf and the parts block on the lower shelf of my awesome wood working skills. When it comes to wood working, I do have to turn in my man card as carpentry is not my strongest point. But I have been getting alot of the wood for free as a friend of mines barn got torn down by a storm and it is just a matter of me and going and getting the materials. Still got some more to do to the shop, but getting sheets of plywood cuts into my build funds, then I have to get everything reorganized when I get a section completed.
Hello Terry,

I feel you man,
My other project is starting to become a storage facility

Name:  IMG00290_zps56b06fca.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  44.4 KB

Just when I think I have time, something else comes up.
Luckily, I'm working in the trunk right now.

I don't know how you keep track of your many projects.
Keep up the great job Terry.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Cyberhorn...I have two junk yards in my area and there might be 8 trucks in both of them and no 94s. It is something I really want to look into when I hopefully do find one. The yards here are used to seeing me that they wont charge me a whole lot if and when the get one. Really hope it works.
i did find on fleaybay a replacement plug for the 94 it has 3 wires like the older ones its oval not round again its looking like maybe all it is changing out the plug an upgrading the primary http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTERNATOR-LEAD-REPAIR-3-Wire-Plug-for-Denso-Regulator-Harness-Toyota-Suzuki-/330698903655?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1994%7CMake%3AToyota&hash=item4cff30d067&vxp=mtr
Old 04-07-2013, 05:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alternator is a alternator as long as the one you have is internally regulated and the one your replacing it with is as well (which they are).When you say a 120 off a 94, are you saying 94 and up?? 4 or 6 cylinder?? I would assume the 3.0 or 3.4 would be a 120amp. I will look at the ol ladys 97 limited today and take a look at the harness and compare it to the 2.4 harness on my 4runner.
This would be a great upgrade!!

I like your shelving you made, i would like to do something similar to hold all my trannys i have lying around.

As for the seats its up to you what you want... buckets w console....bench....split bench... supra buckets!!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

94 with 3.0 was only 80A stock... the 3.0 in the Camry got a 100A version of the same alt but with diff. drive pulley. I got a rewind on my stock to give me 90A... there is a firm in Dallas that has 170A Alt. to fit 3.0 mount/belt for $179.00.

Last edited by aviator; 04-07-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
170a!! what did that come off of??!!
Old 04-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
170a!! what did that come off of??!!
Nothing... custom wound amp in 3.0 case...
Old 04-08-2013, 05:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
Nothing... custom wound amp in 3.0 case...
Yea, that's neat, but I like the ported AFM
Old 04-08-2013, 05:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I would also like to know about the 120 amp alt. would be a great upgrade.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello ksti...I have had that problem in the past where a project becomes storage. I can happen easily. I am slowly making the shop where I can keep the projects separated easily. The bottom two shelves are set to where they hold tote bins. I normally have my motors in tote bins where the block is in one, the head in another one and a third one for the intake and exhaust parts. Then I also use tote bins to keep interior parts together. This really keeps things from getting lost and easily found.

Im slowly working my way up to getting things completed and want to show how I keep things organized and how I do it. I have seen professional shows and they tag and bag everything. I think I have some tips to show some better ways of doing this that I have learned along the way. I will explain below, but this is going to be a full frame off build to show how to tear one of these trucks down to the frame and back up so I want to make this build a good reference on how to do this and to actually be able to find the parts you need when putting it back together.lol

Hello Cyberhorn...We are 34 degrees here the past few days. I want to hit the yards and see what the other models have and what it would be possible to swap or the differences. We are getting some flood warnings and the yards here are muddy and have standing water in them. If this winter would ever move out of here I might get the chance to see what is out there.

Thanks kornhuskerwizard..There has to be some possibilities out there for the alternator. I almost had to dive in to the alternator problem sooner then later. The 88s brake and alternator lights started blinking. It turned out to be that the clip on the alternator plug is not getting a good hold on the alternator. I just reseated it but it still is acting like it isnt locking the way it should. It is working for now, but soon as it warms up, it is somethings else I need to look at soon.

The shelves work great as I have done this in the past. I want everything off of the floor so when I paint and have the floor wet to trap dust and clean under as well for painting. Bottom is for heavy parts and the top is for storing extra parts. I do have some more shelves added that arent showing but I hope to show how to do a major tear down and keep things organized.

Hello aviator..Do you feel the extra amp and expense was worth it in the long run? Do you know much about the Camrys? I have seen a ton of Camrys in the yards and most arent wrecks. At first this had me concerned that maybe they are a bad car, but talking to Chef, he says it is just because of so many are bought that some are going to make their way to the yards.

Most are in great shape and am wondering if they have head gasket issues or something fairly simple. I am debating on learning these cars and fix and sell them to help fund my projects. For as many that are in the yards, they should be found for cheap and turned around easily for a profit. I just cant believe how many is in the yards that are in great shape and I am talking about newer models.

Hello ksti.. I missed out on a black 89 4Runner with the 3.0 in it. I wanted to try my hand at the 3.0 and try to ope up other options. You are going to be my go to guy for the 3.0. You seem to know them really well. It was a sweet runner with a bad head gasket. I wanted to fix it and sell it. Something else will come along eventually.

Hello Gizler00..I am not going to give up if there is some possibilities of staying stock over the GM swap.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

A month ago I was told to go take a physical and that if I passed I was going to Afghanistan. I passed and was on the list to go with a unit that I am not assigned to. This past Friday, they cut the numbers in half and since I am not a part of that unit and they have plenty of people to go with, I was told that I am staying home. Which is fine by me. I have been to the sand box 6 times so missing out on this go around is kind of nice. I dont care for being gone and since the kiddos are getting older, they were glad to hear that I am not going as well.

Since deploying was changing how this build was to get a truck for the wife to use while I was gone, and now that I am staying home, it changes to how I want to do this build. I all along have wanted to do a frame off restore. I have done some in the past and since this truck is going to be one that I will keep, it is back to pulling the body off.

I was always intimidated by doing a frame off restore until I had to swap frames on a truck and have done a couple of others as well, I want to pull the body off of this truck and use this thread as a "How To" for others that may need to do a frame/cab swap. It really isnt as intimidating as it may sound. I also want to show how I keep things organized as well.

I tried to make my 88Runner thread as useful as possible on what comes along on these trucks and alot of the fixes and common problems I have found while working on these trucks. I want this thread to show how to do a frame off restore. On my 86 Runner, it doesnt really show, but I did lift the body and paint the frame and clear coated it and looks real well under there. Really happy with how it turned out.

The wifey wants to be involved in this build as well and I told her that if she puts some serious effort into to it that I would let her pick some direction of how this build will go. I really dont think she knows what all is involved so time will tell and have to wait and see how that part goes.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Today it is 34 degrees and I wanted to get something done. That lasted for a whole hour before I froze out and came inside the house. I have tried to mention on my Runner builds about how bad the tanks can get on these trucks and I want to pull the tank on this truck just to see what kind of condition it is like.

I suggest pulling the bed off of a pick up to replace the fuel pump. It can be dropped down, but there isnt a whole lot of line and is hard to disconnect the fuel line while dropping it straight down. On a runner you have an access hole under the passenger rear seat. Since I am doing a frame off on this truck, the tank needs to come out any ways.

No surprise, some one has already pulled the tank and caused a fix that I need to go and deal with. They used a wrong bolt and put some kind of putty to keep it from leaking at the drain plug.
Name:  cleaning13_zps9d3643cf.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  31.3 KB

I did start soaking all of the body bolts with some Aerokroil that my dad says is some great stuff. I have never used it so will give it a try and see if it is as good as he says it is. He got it on line somewhere. We are to get some good weather here in the next few days and will let yo know what I think of it.
Name:  crash2_zpsa6d9c12b.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  13.8 KB

Here is the skid pan that protects the fuel tank. 6 bolts hold it on. I already soaked them with the Aerokroil and all came out without any problems. All were rusted and I have in the past broken these bolts off. So far it seems to work great. You can see with the clutter, I was cleaning up the 3rd gen runners carpet from this past winter, doing some more shelves in the shop and pulling the bumper off of the 86 Extra cab I am doing for a friend. I am planning on taking a few days off of work soon as the weather gets nice to get some of the projects completed.
Name:  cleaning11_zps422ead88.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  76.1 KB
Old 04-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here is some info from my 88Runner build that I have found/used in the past.

Copied....
I got a tank out of my parts truck and it was loaded with rust and so was the pump. I surprised the truck even ran. Filter was all plugged up. I spent quite a bit of time cleaning the tank out. First I drained it and tapped the outside with a rubber hammer to break the thick rust loose. Put a little water in to avoid sparks and put some chain and rocked it back and forth to get more loose and then I let it soak with some vinegar in it. I found this on the web. It actually came pretty clean. Have heard of using The Works toilet bowl cleaner from K Mart.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Removi...rom_a_gas_tank Several products you can use.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4540637_remo...-gas-tank.html

http://www.vjmog.com/ftopict-3687.html

I have a friend that works in a parts store and he suggested Red Kote to coat the tank. I have coated it and am waiting for my new fuel pump to come in. I ready to get the tank in and see if this thing fires up.

I dont mess with tanks in the summer. The fumes are what are dangerous.

I bought the fuel pump off of ebay from "carpartswholesale" for $27.85 plus cheap shipping. Parts store wanted $150
Name:  cleanedtank.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  28.6 KB

This "J" line likes to get clogged. Check all of them, but most likely this one will be clogged.
Name:  Jline.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  81.9 KB

New $25 dollar fuel pump. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Pump-Gas-Truck-4-Runner-Toyota-Celica-89-88-87-86-Camry-91-90-85-MR2-/230691053648?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35b6422050Name:  NewFuelpump.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  70.9 KB

Name:  RedCoat.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  37.7 KB

Here I am checking to see if one of the fuel return lines is clear. I pop the gas cap off and you will hear air or bubbles in the tank. I have seen these return lines clogged.
Name:  transmission3.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  116.2 KB

Checking the other line.
Name:  transmission2.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  108.8 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-16-2016 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 85 Extra Cab Saved from Crusher