84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

85 Extra Cab Saved from Crusher

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Another part I worked on was the air conditioner pump. Just getting all of the gunk off of it was a job in itself. I wrap the openings with electric tape for cleaning and then storing. It will be awhile before I get the AC but since it will I wrapped the threads of the bolts with electric tape to keep them from getting lost.

I watched alot of car shows and they show them tagging and bagging every nut and bolt. The first time I did that while working on a Chevy truck, I thought it was a really good idea. Figured if the pros did that way, it had to be good. It wasnt. When I went to put it all back together, I had so many bolts that were similar that it took along time to get it all figured out. Wont do it that way again.

Since this truck is my third parts truck restore I have learned some tricks that make it so much easier and thought I would pass them on along. I still have to tag and bag some nuts and bolts but not nearly as many as I used to. Unless the part is going to the machine shop, I put the bolts right back in their place. When at machine shop I sometimes do have to bag them.

Also I keep the engine all in one piece on an engine stand. Keep the old spark plugs in to keep cylinders dry. The PO on the motor I was going to use pulled them and now this block will need to be bored. I am just going to post it on Craigslist.

If you do tear a motor down, you will be surprised at what all you can keep in tote bins. I can keep a block with out the head on it and the tote bins are strong enough to pick up if you get a good quality one. If it is going to be stored for a long time, I coat the cylinder with wheel bearing grease, and spray everything down with WD40.

The head will fit into another tote bin with the fuel assembly. This also keeps nuts and bolts from getting lost. Then I use another tote bin for the accessories and what ever else I want to keep seperate. This also works for alot of interior parts or other projects.

When I am at the boneyard, I get all the nuts and bolts I can find. Alot of people will remove a part and leave them nearby. I have several coffee cans full of nuts and bolts that I need to put into storage bins. I have seperate bins for interior, engine, body bolts and such. Cant have enough and you still need one that you wont have but it makes doing these projects so much easier.

Head getting ready for storage. I will coat it with WD40. Have the intake bolts in. AC Commpressor with bolts taped and hose connections taped up.
Name:  storing1_zps7752564f.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  76.7 KB

Storage bin for whatever assembly I am working on and my Harbor Freight storge bins for bolts. The big one can get heavy for the common bolts. The smaller ones work great for specialty bolts like crank shaft, intake bolt that is an allen head, exterior parts...
Name:  storing3_zps4fbfb869.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  39.1 KB
Old 02-27-2013, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

This system works great even for normal repairs. When putting everything back together, there are no more lost bolts and makes it alot quicker to reassemble as you just drag up the next part bin you need and start installing it. Just something I learned and hope it helps someone who might want to try a complete tear down or everyday repair. They can be stored in the bed or stacked in a corner with some good planning. I have seen some projects not get completed cause someone get lost on where they were at on a project.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got tired of the truck taking up some wasted space and to make it a little easier to get to from all different sides, I finally broke down and bought 4 dollies. It is still cold outside but I might get ambitious enough to go get the truck put on top of them. Wont be doing much else today due to the weather. So will be scanning different sites for some deals.

A guy parted out a Turbo runner that was wrecked and wants to get rid of what he has left of it. Has a whole box for $35 that if our schedules work out I will be going to get those parts off of him tomorrow.

Dollies, been wanting a set for awhile and was out in the shop yesterday and couldnt get to the other side and swore I would get some next time I was at HF.
Name:  dollies_zpsf6e24b8a.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  118.3 KB
Old 02-27-2013, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if youve got a smooth concrete floor those dollys can be a blessing ours is 50 yr old farmer concrete spalled an rough as dirt lol ive found in breaking out a useless bit of sidewalk old cans horse shoes an even a 1940's coke bottle

an i will take pictures an notes on the injector rebuild want the ebay link to the place i got um terry?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got a laugh out of the old side walk. I use to help a farmer and when it came to pouring concrete, what ever was in the trash can was what he used for filler. That 40s coke bottle might be worth something. When my brother,sister and me were kids we had A&W Root Beer Mugs. Still have mine somewhere and I went for years not liking root beer and now I am on a root beer kick. Just bought a bottle not even 30 minutes ago. Got my kids a set of A&W Mugs a few weeks ago and now I want to start collecting A&W items.

We have a restuarant in town that collects Coke memorbilia and they have old stuff. Since I like restoring things, I would like to restore an old Coke bottle dispenser or something like that. Have you seen the prices on things like that? I just want one but they are out of my price range and what I might could afford, I could never restore for the condition they are in.

Since I am talking about restoring old things, you remember the Honda 50cc motorcycles that were made in the early 70s? That is something else I would like to get ahold of. I seen them on ebay. Had a blast on them when I was young. Surprised I didnt kill myself on one of them as I just held the throttle wide open. Never knew of consequences at that age. I was lucky.

I would like that link to the injectors stuff on ebay.

Last edited by Terrys87; 02-27-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Great thread Terry, LOVE all the pics and info and pics!
My 96 4Runner came with 16" tri-spokes, 6 bolt, if that helps any.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:44 PM

helps me habanaro i like the look of them an might have better luck with finding them in the part yards here

terry heres the kit i got for mine the seller has a lot of injector types an kits for them
2.4ltr red injectors kit
white 2.4ltr injectors

they have v6 kits as well
Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks habanero... I am trying to make this thread where if someone is new to these trucks that they could use it to get them thru their build and pass on some information that I had to learn the hard way or somehow found some other way that works better.

Does Toyota still do the 5 lug on 2wd and 6 on the 4wd on 3rd Gens, and what determines a 15 inch wheel over a 16 inch wheel? It may be that from one year they switched to the 16 inch wheel. I always liked the Tri spoke on a first gen runner.

Thanks Cyberhorn.. I was actually going to go get the injector seals in the morning but for about a dollar more, I can get the screens with the seals then what I could get them at the parts store. I ordered the kit that you posted and it wont be here until March 5th.

I will be out in town all day tomorrow and this weekend I have guard drill so I wont be getting anything done for a few days anyway. I am going to pull the head off of the motor and start installing my fuel system on the head and by the time the seals get here is about the time that I can start on that project. Thanks link. Once I get the seals here and see how they work is probably going to be where I start getting my seals.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

It was to cold to do anything today and I knew where a bargain was on parts so went after it. These parts came off of an 86 Turbo pickup and it has some parts that I need. Didnt have the injector harness but it had alot of other parts.

The guy cut the main harness but other wise it looks all there. I will splice it back together and keep it as Im sure a turbo harness is next to impossible to find. It did come with electric locks, just dont know if it will plug into my harness. If it does I might just add them to have something different. I got an electric antenna and hoping that I can get it to working. A ton of other things that I havent looked at yet.
Name:  turbo1_zps03202f0c.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  137.1 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 02-28-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey you got the turbo ECU and those are rare...
Old 02-28-2013, 05:04 PM

dang terry all ya need now is the turbo an you can do a full upgrade
Old 02-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello aviator..The cluster says Turbo on it as well. Just to bad it isnt the digital guage. I told the guy I was buying it from that alot of the parts was worth quite a bit. He sold everything to me for $35. I think his wife was giving him some " words of encouragement" to get rid of some of his hobbies. He has 3 Toyota trucks and 2 of them are really nice little trucks. Then he has several Ford diesel trucks in various stages. He even said he had to many irons in the fire.

I posted an add for a tranny and he called and said he had one awhile back. When I got there he had other things and I asked why he didnt post them on Craigslist and he had the same feelings as I do about it that it can be a headache.

Hello Cyberhorn.. I know where a turbo truck is, what is left of it. A neighbor of mine that I go to church with has/had one of the most fully loaded SR5 Turbo extra cabs I have ever seen. He has helped me quite a bit in the past so I will give him a big jump in his project.

I tried to get a hold of this truck for sometime when it was broken but the he got the engine, turbo, and tranny rebuilt. He bought it new and really loves the little truck. Then one day the drivers electric window switch area caught fire and nearly burnt down his garage. He is determined to get it back on the road and has the funds to do it but finding the parts has been his biggest hold up. He has asked me several times about my extra cab for his truck. I will just let him have the guage,harness and ECU.

I always thought that I wanted a Turbo truck, but a friend of mine took a wrecked Turbo and put it in an 84 Extra cab truck. He is starting to get frustrated with the turbo and he knows alot more about Toyotas then I do so that has taken the excitement out of a turbo for me.

Was fully one fully loaded truck. I know where a couple of extra cabs are so this one might see the road again as he is determined to get it going again.
Name:  burnt.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  99.1 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 06-24-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got alot of different things that I can do when I get some descent weather and I have guard drill this weekend. It always comes around when I really want to do something and this weekend is supposed to be nice. Grrr... I still need to get rings and bearings on order in the next day or so. The only big hold up I see is getting my injector harness and I have atleast one bucket seat to get it moving. I am really hoping to have this thing moving under its own power in a month or so.

I will be jumping around from the motor, to the interior, to other systems just to get a change of pace. I have been in this positon before and do actually have a system that works for me. Just waiting for the weather to get better and this build will take off soon.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:51 PM

damn shame to see a truck and a rare one at that all burnt up you are the picture of generosity terry
Old 03-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn.. That was one rare truck and it was a shame to see something like that happen to it. If he gets a body for it is it one that will be able to get back on the road. I dont think it will be as loaded as it was. It nearly every option that you could imagine.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I had drill weekend and then our anniversary and now I have to go to some classes for my job on my day off that is coming up. Urghhh!! I have so much things that I can and want to do if I can just get the time to do it.

I did get my rebuild kit on order. I am hoping to maybe start tearing the motor down this weekend.

Got a my lights all ready to install. Should be a nice weekend and the weather is starting to warm up so might get out and get them installed. I cleaned the contacts, bulbs, and sockets and have all the electrical connections coated with dielectric grease.

Clear coated lenses and working on AC Pump. Clutch Master Cylinder seems to be good and wanting a clean look under the hood.
Name:  morepartsprepped1_zps85cbfe2c.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  67.4 KB
Old 03-05-2013, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea that extra cab is.. was somethin!! Thats too bad especially bein a loaded sr5. As for your build keep up the good work.I agree on the turbo motors, they are awesome dont get me wrong but they require a little more attention than a n.a. 22re. Those things werent made to hop 5 blocks acrost town. gotta warm them up gradually, they were ahead of there time in my opinion.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was'nt so much the warming up as the cool down after a highway run... but you def. could'nt just hop out of the driveway and hammer down either.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:14 PM

still it could be rebuilt into a nice sr5 but id definitely do some improvements to the turbos oil system possibly an electric circulation pump to cool the bearings down keep the oil from being cooked to carbon on the hot shaft
Old 03-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello kornhuskerwizard.... That was the most loaded SR5 truck I had ever seen. An old man owns it and hopefully I can help him get it back on the road some day. Unless he can find a truck as loaded as that one was, I can get on the road for him again, just dont know if it will ever be as nice as it was.

Hello aviator.. I always thought I wanted one and that is the thing with turbo is that you have to let them spin down. A friend of mine took a rolled turbo truck and combined it with a solid axle 84. He been working on Toyotas for 30 years and know them well. Seems like it is one quirk after another that is all turbo related.

Hello cyberhorn.. I believe you are right on the circulation. I like seeing Toyota think outside the box and making different trucks, but probably should of done some more engineering on the turbos.

Quick Reply: 85 Extra Cab Saved from Crusher