84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1984 4runner - build up

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I had never worked on cars before i got the runner so its been a good learning experience. But i still curse the PO everytime I fix poor/lazy work.

I am pretty damn excited to get all the new parts, hoping to have the diff and XCases back by the weekend of the 8th.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by rustED
Nice build! Sucks that you had to fix all the PO's mistakes, but at least you know its done right now! Seen a lot of people slide a large size nut inside the steering stop and weld them up to make them stronger. Keep up the good work!

Thanks. I have seen the nut in the steering stops as well but unfortunately mine are already collapsed. I want to cut them off and weld new ones on but i hear you need to disassemble your axle and clean it because you can catch the gear oil on fire. So another project for another day. in the mean time i am just welding some ghetto chunks of angle iron to the collasped steering stop.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:19 AM

Got a bunch of stuff done.

New turbo rock crawler clutch from marlin crawler installed.
New Shifter seat and bushing installed in the transmission (anyone with a sloppy tranny should do this, really easy and cheap and it makes a huge difference)
Tranny installed as well.

Now all i am waiting on is the new parts (4.7's and full spool), hope they get here this weekend.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
nice work, that will be sweet having 4.7 gears and a spool! keep up the good work!
Old 08-08-2014, 02:46 PM

Wont get my diff and xcases back until the 19th

Cutting it pretty close to get everything in by the 23rd for the competition. Think ill just do a shake down run instead.....
Old 09-03-2014, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1984RunnerCrawler
Wont get my diff and xcases back until the 19th

Cutting it pretty close to get everything in by the 23rd for the competition. Think ill just do a shake down run instead.....

did you get your parts yet? Look forward to seeing some pics from your shake down run!
Old 09-03-2014, 11:19 PM

did you get your parts yet? Look forward to seeing some pics from your shake down run!
The ring and pinion was in bad shape in my third so I got new ones ordered and installed at the same time as my spool. Got it back today so now I have all the parts that I need. Hoping to go out this Sunday, I'll be sure to get some pics.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice runner that you have here. I love being able to buy new parts for a build. Makes things that much easier to work on.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:27 PM

4Runner is back together!

Initial impressions:
Twin sticks are really nice, my xcases were hard to shift sometimes (which i hear is common with duals) and the twin sticks solved this.

4.7's crawl nicer and give better control. I was lucky to get the gears and the install in a trade. That all being said i dont know if i would spend the money and time installing them (the instruction manual has around 115 steps =/). Dual's with 2.28's really crawl nice. Dont get me wrong, i really like 4.7 but it is a big spendy project to do the 4.7 and i dont know if the ROI is there...... Just my opinion.

Spool as one would expect there is tons of traction.

Going to an off road park tomorrow to do some light wheeling to break in the new ring and pinion.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by liveoffroad
very cool build, i love the 22ret's! sometimes i wish i had gone that route instead of my 7m! keep up the good work

Any regrets with the 7m? there is a complete swap on Craigslist close to where I live and am thinking about snagging it. from I read these motors put out about 200hp and 200 labs of torque. great numbers (just above a jeep 4.0 lol ). anything that I should look for? motor is still in truck so I can hear it run (I know I gotta look at the head gasket). thx in advance
Old 09-18-2014, 08:31 PM

I chickend out on the 7m swap, really didnt want to be down for the fall wheeling season. maybe next year.

Update on performance mods:
I have taken the 4runner out several times now and played around extensively on my rock garden. The spool in the rear, detroit up front, 4.7s in the rear case and twin sticks make everything i have tried stupid easy! i havent gone big yet because i am still breaking in my ring and pinion but i gotta say i dont know if there is much locally (spokane wa) that would be difficult. The 4.7s really make crawling a piece of cake and no clutch is needed (i no longer agree with my previous statement about the ROI of the 4.7s).

I am going to run mack and king in north eastern washington on Oct 4th but dont expect it will be much of a challenge with the new setup.

Had a friend "try" to play follow the leader threw my rock garden in his Wrangler YJ on 35's with 4.88's, locked in the front, clutch LSD in the rear with a stock transfer case. He BOUNCED threw many lines and made it work but i just crawled threw with a beer (8.5%) in hand like i was leaving my drive way (no vids sorry)
Old 09-20-2014, 07:39 AM

Glad your liking your new setup! I'd like to see some pics of it in your rock garden!

Where abouts are you located, around Seattle area, or closer to Spokane?
Old 09-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spokane....I noticed it in the middle of the post.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:37 PM

Glad your liking your new setup! I'd like to see some pics of it in your rock garden!

Where abouts are you located, around Seattle area, or closer to Spokane?
I use to live in seattle but was able to escape about 1.5 years ago and move to spokane =)

Here are a few shots of the runner in my rock garden.

[IMG]https://www.yotatech.com/<a href=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/1984RunnerCrawler/media/IMG_0048_zpsddfddff2.jpg.html target=_blank>Name:  IMG_0048_zpsddfddff2.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  286.0 KBName:  IMG_3522_zps3ed63391.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  102.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0048_zpsddfddff2.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  286.0 KB
Old 09-26-2014, 05:37 PM

Nice pics, I wish I had my own rock garden to play on, lol. I live about 70 miles north of you in Colville. We moved up here about 2 years ago from Yakima and are liking it here. Man, I want to do dual cases someday, but probably should do lockers first!
Old 09-26-2014, 07:07 PM

Nice pics, I wish I had my own rock garden to play on, lol. I live about 70 miles north of you in Colville. We moved up here about 2 years ago from Yakima and are liking it here. Man, I want to do dual cases someday, but probably should do lockers first!

I grew up in Colville! I left about 10 years ago but my parents still live there and I go up there several times a year. I was actually thinking about running Mack and King up past Kettle Falls Oct 4th but my friend who was suppose to be the guide has to go to a wedding instead.

Having my own rock garden is pretty neat, though there is a lot of temptation to go out and smash around after a few beers =).
Old 09-29-2014, 01:47 PM

A friend bought a project yota (80% done) a few months back and brought it down to my shop. Pretty neat truck!

70's single cab, dual cases, 4.7 gears in the rear case, twin sticks, supposedly rebuilt 20R, webber carb, 4" rough country lift springs, brand new 35", spartan locker in the rear, open front.

We need to wire it up, lengthen drive lines, lengthen brake lines, and tighten everything up and probably a ton of other little things but should be a fun truck when done.

Name:  IMG_83901_zps54ac67ff.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  91.8 KB
Old 09-29-2014, 04:44 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
I like the back window on your runner!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 1984RunnerCrawler
I grew up in Colville! I left about 10 years ago but my parents still live there and I go up there several times a year. I was actually thinking about running Mack and King up past Kettle Falls Oct 4th but my friend who was suppose to be the guide has to go to a wedding instead.

Having my own rock garden is pretty neat, though there is a lot of temptation to go out and smash around after a few beers =).
Small world! I really like it up here, still haven't done any real wheelin yet, I need to get my new radiator installed, powered steering hooked up, and a few other odds & ends. I'd like to find out where those trails are located that out mentioned.

I like your buddies truck, they look tuff with flat beds on them!

Last edited by rustED; 09-30-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:09 PM

Small world! I really like it up here, still haven't done any real wheelin yet, I need to get my new radiator installed, powered steering hooked up, and a few other odds & ends. I'd like to find out where those trails are located that out mentioned.

I like your buddies truck, they look tuff with flat beds on them!
When you get it all hooked up there is a little ORV park called 7 mile on the north side of spokane. it is pretty much an open area you can do whatever in. It is a great place to experiment around to figure out your capabilities. I try to go there once a month or so.

Quick Reply: 1984 4runner - build up