Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotantn's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
I was going to say the same thing as Gmack. The apples really do work. Just don't procrastinate and forget to remove them after a few days. You have to clean the truck as much as possible first.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My son and I gave her a good washing just sitting in the barn. Check out that beautiful blue I remember that was under all that grime.
Originally Posted by gmack192
- Clean it real good, wipe down the seats, doors, flroors with clorox wipes....Kills te mildew.. Cut up some apples, throw them inside and shut it up fpr a few days.. The apples will absorb the musty mildew odor.
Originally Posted by Nervo19
I was going to say the same thing as Gmack. The apples really do work. Just don't procrastinate and forget to remove them after a few days. You have to clean the truck as much as possible first.
Awesome, Thanks. I'll try that. I did just giver a real good vaccuum and opened the windows and sunroof. And, set and open jar of some scented oil in there. Now, it's just sorta flavored musky smell. :/
That Lysol should fix her up. Her vinyl headliner is really nasty. This is just sort of to get in and out of it. Much easier to work on a clean truck.

Now, anybody got any ideas why the clutch pedal is all play?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome thread! I love that you're the original owner & have a timeline of pics from when it was new. Good luck with the resto & there is a wealth of knowledge on this site. I'll be watching your build.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:17 PM

Master Clutch cylinder full? there is a bleeder valve on the slave cylinder.. Bleed it out till you have good clean fluid.. There is supposed to be some free play at the pedal, about half an inch..
There are some adjustments for the free play..
Old 05-20-2012, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by dougstoys
Awesome thread! I love that you're the original owner & have a timeline of pics from when it was new. Good luck with the resto & there is a wealth of knowledge on this site. I'll be watching your build.
dood I checked out your 81. Wow.....I'm amazed and jealous about the power steering. I have to admit that I woke up thinking about that this morning. Lol. But I'm not that mechanically inclined. Never know though. One thing at a time. When I drove her and I was 19 it didn't really matter. But at 50.....it'd be nice.
good job on that body work too. Those single lined beds are notorious for rust outs. Good to see another like mine here.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:10 AM

Master Clutch cylinder full? there is a bleeder valve on the slave cylinder.. Bleed it out till you have good clean fluid.. There is supposed to be some free play at the pedal, about half an inch..
we're out of town right now but ima check that as soon as we get back. As I've said I'm not overly mechanically inclined but if I have a few pointers I can do anything.
thanks bud.

Last edited by yotantn; 05-21-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:18 AM

Get a Chilton's or something like it....These trucks are easy and FUN to work on...I've had 7.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54083.0

I finished this one about 3 years ago....then I let my 17yr old son use it for 18 months or so. Needless to say, I'm redoiing it AGAIN...

Not sure where Jackson Tn. is, but I'm about 45 miles west of Knoxville....If your'e close and need help, let me know. Mack
Old 05-23-2012, 05:38 PM

Master cylinder is totally full. There is a LOT of play..It's not totally loose and swinging..but really slack, hardly any resistance. Nothing like it used to be. Before I got bleeding a valve, any other thoughts?
Speaking of valve..is this it? The yellow is a broomhandle so I could trace where it went after I got under it. I'm not a mechanic, but I don't give up easy either.

Get a Chilton's or something like it....These trucks are easy and FUN to work on...I've had 7.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54083.0

I finished this one about 3 years ago....then I let my 17yr old son use it for 18 months or so. Needless to say, I'm redoiing it AGAIN...
Me n that boy'd have to have a sit down.

Not sure where Jackson Tn. is, but I'm about 45 miles west of Knoxville....If your'e close and need help, let me know. Mack

Jackson is between Memphis and Nashville. I was up your way at Gatlinhell this past weekend. Good news..if you've lost someone you can find them in Gatlinburg..EVERYBODY in the WORLD goes there. Jeez.
Got the Chiltons dood. I noticed I wrote 1993 in the front. book nerd. LOL. I think I bought it when I was gonna repack the bearings.

Got some air in the tires. They're actually holding a little air. I was impressed since I still had the paperwork from buying them...in 1990. lol.

To the carb...I'm thinking I'm gonna have to let someone who knows what they're doing with it work on that thing. My buddy and I COULD do it, but it would take a long time and prolly, we'd botch that up and have to take it off again. I've got some leads on some good guys to rebuild it.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ha nice your in Jackson! I live outside Memphis off of exit 35 in Oakland. I go through Jackson a lot for work heading to McKenzie, Martin, and Paris. Look what I got into in Memphis this past Sunday

Not trying to hi-jack your thread or anything sorry lol nice to see folks close to me on here.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:13 PM

That is the bleeder valve you are looking for..
Old 05-24-2012, 02:43 AM

That is the bleeder valve you are looking for..
Thanks, I thought so. So, just open it and let it drain some? pump the clutch some while it's open? Is this because setting up a few years could have caused this? It's never done this before and I don't see anything on the ground underneath anywhere like it had dripped and as I said, the master is full.You mentioned some other adjustments that are possible. What would those be?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:04 AM

I had to bleed the clutch a few times on my truck when I replaced the Master. You'll want to open the valve, press the clutch pedal to the floor, close the valve, then release the clutch pedal. If you do this a few times it will start to get more pressure built up, you'll see the fluid squirt out of the valve in a steady stream when it's good. Then top off the Master as needed.

Air just gets into the lines after sitting for a while, or even just from regular use. It will start to feel 'spongey' when it needs bled.
Bleeding the brakes is pretty much the same way too.

Good luck, hope this helps!

And I think it's awesome that you are the original owner of the truck. You just dont see that very often. Very cool
Old 05-24-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Cedge208
I had to bleed the clutch a few times on my truck when I replaced the Master. You'll want to open the valve, press the clutch pedal to the floor, close the valve, then release the clutch pedal. If you do this a few times it will start to get more pressure built up, you'll see the fluid squirt out of the valve in a steady stream when it's good. Then top off the Master as needed.
Air just gets into the lines after sitting for a while, or even just from regular use. It will start to feel 'spongey' when it needs bled.
Bleeding the brakes is pretty much the same way too.
Good luck, hope this helps!
And I think it's awesome that you are the original owner of the truck. You just dont see that very often. Very cool

Just what I needed to know. Thanks bud.
What size wrench loosens that bleeder valve?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by yotantn

Just what I needed to know. Thanks bud.
What size wrench loosens that bleeder valve?
Not exactly sure. My roommate had a bleeder wrench I used. I think it's a 5/8 or 9/16, or 7mm, 8mm, or 10mm. haha in that general size

You'll need an assistant with this too. Someone wrenching the valve while the other presses the pedal.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cedge208
Not exactly sure. My roommate had a bleeder wrench I used. I think it's a 5/8 or 9/16, or 7mm, 8mm, or 10mm. haha in that general size.You'll need an assistant with this too. Someone wrenching the valve while the other presses the pedal.
Awe man, I got a 15 year old son that's pretty helpful AND my daughters BF is chomping at the bits to get his hands dirty on this truck. LOL.
I'll just have to play around with that wrench size it sounds like.
Thanks.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:01 PM

I just let mine gravity bleed....You want to replace the old fluid....It goes bad, same as brake fluid..
Old 05-24-2012, 04:19 PM

edited

Last edited by yotantn; 05-29-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:25 PM

edited

Last edited by yotantn; 05-29-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by yotantn
yea, makes sense I guess. just open the valve and let it all drain out? Then close the valve and refill the master?
Keep fluid in the master cyl. don't let it go dry.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:47 PM

Do you have custom door panels on it? Maybe a better pic?

Quick Reply: yotantn's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread