Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Pope's 1981 Hilux Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pope's 1981 Hilux Build Thread

So I'm brand new to the forum, been lurking for a while before finally creating an account and buying myself a Hilux! I owned a 2008 Tacoma AC 4x4 Auto. Sold that, because reasons. I then found myself driving around a 92' W250 (First Gen Cummins). That was an awesome truck but just did not suit my needs. Growing up I knew a couple of guys with old, rusted out, beautiful Hilux's. They were great trucks and I got to ride around in them from time to time. So! I decided that I would find myself one. I wanted something that I could DD, but take out on the weekends for camping trips and what not. I live and work on an Air Force base, so I'm not too concerned about using it as my DD as I only drive maybe 7-10 miles a day. Then it's used on the weekends some, like I said, for trips out of the city. That's if we don't use my wife's CR-V. So a little bit about the truck. From what I know it's a California truck, bought three years ago by a guy in Ohio. He's in New York now, is a firefighter and a mechanical engineer. He bought it with 112k original miles. He went ahead and rebuilt the 22R, all new Toyota seals, gaskets, pistons and rings along with replacing the crappy plastic timing chains guided with steel ones. New cam and rockers, headers, exhaust (sounds great, may be switching the muffler), and a Weber 32/36 double barrel carb. I'm contemplating getting a different air cleaner for the top of the carb. As far as suspension goes, she's got Dakar packs in all four corners paired up with OME shocks. This truck has been taken care of meticulously by the previous owner. I could not be any happier with her. I plan on doing a little work. Like I said, upgrade the air cleaner to something a bit bigger, switch out the muffler, add a couple PIAA lights on the front bumper. Speaking of bumpers! I need to get a bit more weight on this OME suspension. She's stiff. I had a few hundred pounds in the bed over the weekend and it rode like a dream. I'd like to add a rear tube bumper that wraps around the corners. Also, wouldn't be opposed to some sliders. My only issue, is up front. Most of the bumpers I've seen involve cutting into the body, up to right below the grill. Nah. Don't want to do that. Either way, I will think of something. Other than that, I'd like to add a soft topper some how. It has what I was told is the "Japanese" bed. So the lip of the bed goes outwards with hooks on the outside. Not sure how easy it will be to get any sort of topper mounted. Hopefully I will be adding to this build thread soon. Here she is:

Pope's 1981 Hilux Build Thread-image-4277124920.jpg