Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

My 1980 RN47 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The cloth line reel looks like a great idea for brake lines. Sometimes it is handy just coming up with a tool you are only going to need once in a great while. I have seen some trucks that were painted and with some effort you can get to the original paint and it still be in great shape. Other times some of that paint can clog up a ton of sanding paper. Paint looks to be good on it so far considering its age.

I worked on a truck that would rev up until it was under a load but same thing as you are having that it would cut out. Those can be a bear to find. Usually I start with a complete tune up and then start working on the fuel system. My 2 wheel has an Aisin on it but when it gets down in the 30 degree temperture, it is really difficult to start. You being in Florida probably are not dealing with cold tempertures. Aisins are good but can be a pain to figure out.

I sometime think the frames getting packed full of dry dirt is what saves them from rusting out. I have seen some loaded frames and were in great shape.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There never seems to be enough time in the day. I got some por15 on the rear of the frame today. I hit the frame with a flap disc and wire wheel prior. Nothing too serious. There are a couple spots I may patch in but for the most part it is solid. I just wanted it to look a little better so my wife doesn't freak out too much. She usually lets me do my thing but since I have a few trucks in various stages she gets a bit concerned haha.

Terry I think I will have to do the full time up. I pulled the plugs today and they looked rich. I have a new cap and rotor button here and I'll grab some new wires. My old Craftsman timing light died so I have to add that to the list as well. So much to do and so little time. Can't wait til summer when it gets dark at 9pm. Unfortunately there's no room at my shop for any other projects at the moment.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed! It's coming together nicely. Did I read it right? you live near Okeechobee? I grew up not far from there at all, just on the other side of Indian Town. I moved up to Georgia 7 years ago. I miss it down there so much.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by K91776
Subscribed! It's coming together nicely. Did I read it right? you live near Okeechobee? I grew up not far from there at all, just on the other side of Indian Town. I moved up to Georgia 7 years ago. I miss it down there so much.

Just north of there. I've spent most of my life in Orlando and have recently moved to the country. Georgia is great! My brother lives in Gainesville on family land. I'm there a few times a year for gobblers and bucks. Thanks for checking in.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:35 PM

Today I adjusted the valves on the truck from cold. #2&#4 exhaust valves had quite a bit of lash. She runs dead quiet now.

I also had an issue with it bogging down under a load. I rechecked the timing by light and by ear. It was within specs. I rechecked my Weber settings, changed fuel filter, drainer the tank, and put 5 gallons of good gas in it. Still fell on its face at RPms above 2k.

I moved the coil wire to reroute it and the miss went away. I changed out the coil wire but still ran poorly. I had an NOS dist cap in my box of junk, changed it out and took her for a run. Damn what a difference! No hesitation, no stumbling and pulled hard through all four gears. That LCE head seems to have made a dramatic improvement as all the 22r's and 22re's I've had never seemed to have this much power. I'll need a new exhaust from head to bumper but I think I will try my hand at replicating a Thorley tri-y that's on our 86 4Runner.

Next is to rig up tail lights, and she'll be ready for a proper test drive.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flg8r22
Just north of there. I've spent most of my life in Orlando and have recently moved to the country. Georgia is great! My brother lives in Gainesville on family land. I'm there a few times a year for gobblers and bucks. Thanks for checking in.

Thats awesome! Well next time you're up here if you get the chance hit me up and we can go wheeling or hunting!
Old 03-05-2017, 03:06 PM

10-4 !
Old 03-05-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If this thing gives you trouble I think I know why: it has a "W" sticker on it, which means it may be a Chinese Weber. Also is that thing on there backwards??? The fuel inlet is supposed to face the front of the truck... This is weird to me
Old 03-05-2017, 04:16 PM

That explains a lot. I just figured since it was a fake that the throttle cable went to the front. Thanks for catching it. I'll switch it around tomorrow so my throttle cable doesn't have to lay acrossed the valve cover.

This thing has been the most rigged truck I have ever had. The wiring is so chopped up I'm going to have to put another harness in it. How's thing in AL ?
Old 03-06-2017, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am having difficulty with Photobucket but here is how I have my cable for the Webber. Really pay attention that it lines up well with the cable holder where my hand is as it can cause idle problems. I will get another picture for how I have my fuel lines routed as soon as I Photobucket straightened out.
Name:  2017030695101213%203_zpsun1qbzwm.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  69.6 KB

Fuel Supply Line

Name:  20170306_101126_zpsemzfq5yg.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  321.0 KB

I have another picture but PB is giving me problems. I had to create a whole new Photobucket account as the old was giving me problems.

Here hopefully you can see how the cable is mounted to the Valve Cover and how it should run to the carb.
Name:  20170306_101152_zpso67aynae.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  223.7 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-06-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:40 AM

Thanks Terry that's perfect. Thanks for the pics. I had a photobucket problem too. I lost everything on there. Now I just load pics from device directly to the forum.

I wish i was was working on anything today but my daughter is in town and she and my wife have me shopping.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:37 AM

Drained and filled both axles today. I was concerned the most with the rear as it had a hollow sound when I was replacing the rear brakes. All was good there just dirty. Now the front end was a different story. I got about a pint of sludge out of there along with a few shavings. I refilled the diff and put it on stands to roll the tires for ten minutes or so. Then redrained and refilled. I'll drive it for a bit then do both front and rear again with synthetic. Here's a pic. Not sure if the metal shavings from the front end will show in photos.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:40 PM

During an archaeological dig in the Georgia clay, I was able to find a 1980 4x4.
I'm almost afraid to chisel it all off, thinking the drivetrain might fall on my head

The clay did preserve everything nicely. This is the left inner frame rail. I was unable to see it just a short time ago.
Looking up at some more broken wires. I'm guessing at it may be the 4wd light for my dash?
Now that's a zero tolerance u joint
Old 03-09-2017, 06:04 PM

Changed the oil today along with tcase and tranny drain and fill. Drove it to my shop which is only about five miles away. It ran pretty good, still a little carb tuning to do though. I checked the inside of the fuel tank to see if that needed to be drained as well but the inside of the tank looks like new. I'm thinking the PO had replaced the tank at some point.

I stopped on the way to the shop and put a few gallons of ethanol free gas in the truck. I noticed it sputtering a couple times in the next mile or so. Got some work done on the 73 Pontiac and headed back home. I only got a few blocks and noticed the truck missing again. The clear fuel filter was very low on fuel. I took the prefilter off the pump and blew some junk out of it. Tried to restart and it wouldn't. Towed her home, and flushed the fuel line and changed the fuel filters and took her for another run. It ran OK. I'm not sure if the electric fuel pump is crapping out when it gets hot, or if I had some trash in the line restricting flow. Guess I'll keep my tools in the front seat and find out tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have a clear fuel filter on mine and it only stays half full. You would think that it would starve for fuel but it does not. That part I dont understand but it is working. I have seen some gunk in those U-Joints, Some of that build up is some tough stuff to get off.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:41 PM

Measured 100 times and cut none. The floor pans in my 87 parts truck are the same size as the 1980 from firewall to seat rail with the contour being nearly identical. From the seat rail to back of cab is 2-3" longer on the 87, and it's also an inch wider. Looks like I've got myself some rust free floors for this project if I need them. I may just take them as one piece with the tunnel included if I decide to go that route.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I hit a yard sale today and got myself some cup holders and a console for a couple bucks
Old 03-10-2017, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I have a clear fuel filter on mine and it only stays half full. You would think that it would starve for fuel but it does not. That part I dont understand but it is working. I have seen some gunk in those U-Joints, Some of that build up is some tough stuff to get off.
I was wondering about that Terry. Sometimes I look at that filter and there is only a small air bubble at the top and other times it half full.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@Old87, if your an Aisin carb guru, let me know. I've got several I'd like to have rebuilt.
ah there is nothing to them, when I built the 20/22r that in my little truck I wanted to use the 22r carb and desmog it. Every one I talked to about it just kept telling me to put a weber on it and forget about it. People say you need to match the #'s on the carb to the rebuild kit, nah I just went to NAPA bought the all inclusive rebuild kit tore it apart and put it back together. I did end up swapping Jets out in it, seems to me the the secondary jet in the 20R carb was larger than the 22R secondary but the primary was opposite, so I have the larger secondary jet in my 22r carb.

Oh yeah following thread now!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:12 AM

Thanks man. Maybe I'll give it a try. I have several laying around here. And thanks for the follow. I'm trying to get some things done on it this week, but lots going on at work
Old 03-17-2017, 06:37 PM

Today I was able to make some room in my carport to work on the rig. For tomorrow, Ive got two things on my list. R&R front and rear springs and continue with the paint removal. Hopefully both can get done. The weather is supposed to be perfect tomorrow.

Work has been a bear this week. It seems like I have half of a 73 Pontiac at home. I have also been dilligently shopping the interweb for another first gen 4runner. My youngest son is coming over tomorrow to detail our 86. It still looks good changing hands of three teenagers and now late 20's kids.