Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Hurley's 1982 Toyota Trailblazer Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about using the linkage and cable from a pickup of similar year. Should be exactly the same. The trekkers/trailblazers all started as chassis cabs. So logically any parts off a 1st gen 4x4 should work
Old 04-05-2012, 04:03 PM

Alrighty,

I've got an accelerator cable coming in the mail. Finally.

The only thing holding me up now is the three sensors on the intake manifold. I'm out of town right now, but I'll post a picture when I get back. Does anyone know the exact purpose of these? I know one (or two) would be temp sending units, but not sure about the third... and where to source these is a bigger question.

Thanks in advance guys. And girls.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:16 PM

Me sensors

Alrighty kids. My dilemma:

These are the sensors in question. I imagine two maybe even all three are temp sending units, but I'm not sure. I also am not sure where to find them. I'm striking out everywhere. And I need this B running by Friday so I can move with it up to Charlotte!!!

I got hooked up on the accelerator linkage for the carburetor by ACC Toyota (If you're in Atlanta-or anywhere remotely close to it- check these guys out. They're straight bosses. Tell 'em Zach sent ya!) But alas, I'm all out of ideas for these sensors. I've called every auto salvage place in a hundred miles and then some, and they're mostly all like, "yea boy ima tell yew wut- yew can come own down hur and see if we got it yerself but I ain't walkin the 200 feet out to the yard to go see fer ya" But at the same time I'm not going to drive three hours into BFE to find out that there's not even a motor in that B. Nawmsayin?

I should also mention that Toyota basically told me I'd have better luck trying to poop them out than to go through them. Maybe it was just the parts guy at this particular dealer, but he said Toyota discontinued those sensors. I find this hard to believe, solely for the fact that there were carburetors in Toyota trucks until 1995. Regardless- they were of no help.

Ideas?

-Zach

Last edited by Hurley; 04-09-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Deleted info...it's in your sensor thread.

Last edited by rworegon; 04-09-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:13 AM

Try Yoda Jim in Denver. He is a yota only yard. He has a website and ships parts
Old 04-14-2012, 03:47 PM

Runs, drives, and lives again. So much happy. Now I need to either find a way to wire up my singular thermo sensor so it works with my gauge in the cab, or find another water temp sender. I haven't let it run for more than a couple minutes at a time due to not having a gauge.

SO.

MUCH.

ANTICIPATION.

Thanks YT'ers for all of your clinch help!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:04 PM

love the truck man great job!!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:23 PM

Thanks man!

Mini update, wired up the temp gauge before I left for Charlotte, and drove it the 4 1/2 hours up with no issues whatsoever. Got right around 24 miles to the gallon!

Funny story-I thought my gas gauge was broken half way there and began to get worried as before the swap I was getting something awful (12 mpg) and am used to filling the truck up at somewhere around the 110-120 mile mark. I didn't stop once in my 257 mile trek up 85. Stopped to get gas less than a mile from the new place. So much happy on my face. Especially with this sweet $3.94 a gallon price tag on the dinosaur blood these days. Makes me happy pants!

Anyways, got up here, got moved in. Drove the truck for a day, and the starter went out. FML. One of the few things I didn't replace and as soon as I get out on my own, in a town with no friends, and no back up ride, the B dies. Figures. So, I used the beat on it method for a day, and then last night it wouldn't crank-even after a solid flogging.

Today I pulled it off and gave it a once over, and one of the connections for the points on the starter is broken, so I bent them together which will have to do until I get me tax money or my last paycheck- whichever comes first! Come on USPS! Good thing I've got some walking shoes, no job (yet-it's only been a couple days), and a LOT of time to kill. On another note, I've been here 2 days and had two people ask me if I would sell the truck. Man, if they only knew the blood, sweat and tears that have gone into this thing.

Oh the adventures of Zach in the bachelor life he leads. Sometimes I think my truck is half the reason I'm single lol. Just a man and his truck.

Til next time kiddos!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:03 AM

24mpg!!!!!!!! Wow! That's awesome! Hope I can get my 86 up to that. What size tire you running?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:26 PM

I know man, it blew my mind! Granted I had a pretty good draft from a friendly 18 wheeler for almost the whole ride up, which I'm sure helped- but still! I'm impressed!

I'm running 33x12.5x15's with the rebuilt stock carb (that's still not 100% right, some hesitation engaging the 2nd barrel and has some funky idle issues from time to time) and a severely cracked exhaust manifold. I don't know if it's the cam, the carb, the new motor, or the combo of everything, but it's awesome knowing I can pull that kind of mileage on the highway! Trailblazer lives on!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:18 AM

Beautiful truck, I love the 1st gens- the trekker/trailblazers were really cool. the truck is looking good.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:55 AM

Swap Pickies!

These have been long overdue, but I'm finally getting around to uploading them...

Old 05-29-2012, 09:59 AM

More Pickies...

Old 05-29-2012, 10:04 AM

And moar...

^ this is at the 500 mile valve adjustment, which actually only two valves needed VERY MINOR adjustment, everything was still factory tight and in perfect spec. Way to go, Sunwest. Super impressed so far.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:09 AM

So who wants to buy it? :/
Old 05-29-2012, 12:32 PM

ME ME ME.....but I dont need a D-vorce....LOL
Old 05-29-2012, 12:48 PM

Ha, yea dude- nobody needs any of that happening over a truck!
Old 05-30-2012, 05:10 AM

So just being curious. How much?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:50 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Hurley
So who wants to buy it? :/

Sounds like there is a hint of sarcasm but if you decide to sell please do the selling in the classifieds
Old 07-14-2012, 07:43 PM

I know this threads a little old, but Ive been looking into these trekkers and trailblazers, I live here in Jacksonville Florida where the trailblazers and alot of the old wolverine pickups were converted, Ive got an old hotrodding buddy that helped build a bunch of the wolverine pickups and helped with a few of the trailblazers, he didnt work for griffith but the shop he did work for helped out on both projects, hes got some great stories and pictures. He was at huguenot beach here in jacksonville when they first tested their first wolverine with 4wheeler magazine, he said that thing was insane. Also I came close to getting a trailblazer right here in jax, a guy had it listed for 300 bucks, complete, just needed a motor and tranny, he never got back with me though, maybe he realized what he had. Great looking truck man!!

Quick Reply: Hurley's 1982 Toyota Trailblazer Build Thread