Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

dirtdobberoffroad's 1982 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtdobberoffroad's 1982 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Title says what I have been working on it for a little while which reminds me haven't sent the title off yet "DANG" Ok back to the build I bought with the engine tore apart the guy that had it before me replaced a head gasket and got it out of time and fired it up at full throttle needless to say it didn't run any more the pistons looked good but the valves didn't I got a 20R block and head with the truck so the 22r block and the 20r head are at the machine shop.

I have all the running gear out of an 84/85 4runner (axles, trans and t-case, drive shafts) that I plan to put under it I was thinking TG 5" all the way around but then I started researching and think I will go with 4" front and chevys in the rear I plan to do dual cases ( I have to buy another on any ways seeing as the case is busted behind the front output?) 4.7 gears in the rear case, 5.29 axle gears, aussie lockers front and back and 35-37" tires. I know what you are thinking another nice yota sacrificed to the Rock gods ( notice little g) but where Im at there are not rocks just flat fields and some hills and trees. This will be my DD and fishing/hunting/camping truck..

I will get some pics up.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 AM

Trying to figure out where to get fender flares I figure I will have to cut out the 2wd fenders to make 35s stuff. I have been thinking samurai fender flares (stock)... or 97-03 F150 flare they are all flat on the fender side and will fit a 35. I like the looks of the bushwackers flares for this year of truck but I have never received an email back from them about those flares, I don't know if they even make them anymore. Does any one have a set of stock flares off of something else mounted on there 1st gen toy that I could see?

Thanks for the help

Dirt.

Last edited by dirtdobberoffroad; 09-06-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use photobucket or something you can post em up using be [img] code, some of us don't have Facebook and most of us are just lazy
Old 09-06-2011, 07:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We cant see your pics because we're not your friends or something, try using photobucket or image shack, after uploading a pic it should have a code called "forum code" or something of that sort, copy and paste into your post

Edit: Dangit SCToy you beat me to it!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:34 AM

sorry guys Im trying........

Last edited by dirtdobberoffroad; 09-06-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:40 AM

all my parts with some missing from the picture..
Old 09-06-2011, 07:46 AM

Nice truck! looks in good shape body wise! You should keep the color too.

As for the flares, I'm pretty sure (correct me if im wrong someone) 4wd fenders will bolt right up. Check craigslist often for 1st gen flares, theres some on my local one for like $200 or so.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:02 AM

I had a pull on an a pair I went down to pick them up and they where so rusted out that I could have ripped them into with my hands.......cancer is pretty bad in SEMO do to high humidity, farm chemicals in the summer and salted roads in the winter... and they are darn hard to find around here also....lots of 86+'s but hardly any older than that a couple of years ago the price of scrap went threw the roof and junk yards crushed every thing.....
Old 09-06-2011, 08:31 AM

Yeah I'm pretty lucky up here, hardly snows and when it does we use sand. Well if your really interested heres the CL ad for some flares: http://skagit.craigslist.org/pts/2554964430.html

If your willing to pay that and if hes not willing to send I could always send them to you if you want.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have one bed flare for a 82 4x4 that your welcome to if you pay for shipping
Old 09-06-2011, 08:36 AM

Check out slacker's website, google Toyota fiberglass, he makes fenders for first gens with a built in flare, so no ugly cutting and I think the price is pretty reasonable too.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:40 AM

I checked out toyotafiberglass.com that is the ticket thanks.....I will hopefully order a set I could probably sell my mint 2wd fenders to pay for those........
Old 09-06-2011, 10:43 AM

Yea, they're awesome, I have my eye on a set.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1986yota4x4
i have one bed flare for a 82 4x4 that your welcome to if you pay for shipping
thanks for the offer. when the rear flare is off the wheel well is still the same size right.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:05 AM

OK it has been a while since I posted some bad news the machine shop told me my 20r head was crap so I sent them my 22r head, the engine has to be bored .75mm or 0.030" over and the pistons where no problem to get but the rings where a little harder to find so the local parts guy and I got on the phone to federal mogul in STL and they told me they would have me a set in about a week. They ground the crank .25mm or .010" under or over I think it is under? Still no news on my 22r head with all the bent valves. I couldn't order the pistion and rings threw engine builder like I had planned so that made my cost go up even more and with the cost of rebuilding the 22r I should have dropped a 350 in it.......so I guess the 4x4 SAS conversion is gonna be put off for a while.

I am almost done with the interior I have all the door panels cut out and padded and the new head liner cut out and padded (to go around the sunroof I installed) the kick panels are cut out and padded now I just have to get the money to buy the vynle to wrap it all in I think I am gonna change the color from blue to tan with all the plastic pc. and dash pad black which I still have to buy a cover for I will be pulling the factory steering wheel and installing a grant 3 spoke, the arm rest and OH Crap handles I plan on staining black, I pulled the metal part of the dash out and sanded it and started painting it only to find out that there is something wicked on the dash that made the factory paint peal, and the new paint will not stick it fish eyes so bad I dont know what to do. I guess I will sand it all the way down to the metal and use some self etching primer.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:19 AM

I will post up some pictures as soon as I get somewhere I can, my work blocked photo bucked and face book so I cant go that route!
The seat I will give it a go my self I have an retired upholstery shop owner that is gonna step me threw it, time will tell

Last edited by dirtdobberoffroad; 10-06-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:05 PM

well the machine shop called and said the other head I sent in was bad too....errrrr...... I need one cheap if any one has close to Southeast Missouri?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:40 AM

Well I went ahead and ordered the ready to go head................ and my funding source wasn't happy.....

Last edited by dirtdobberoffroad; 10-06-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello dirtdobberoffroad..Just found your thread. I got hung up in the 86-95 group and there are some good builds in the 79-83 and 84-85. I need to get my blinders off.

Just got done going through your thread. I hear you about this part of the country. Scrap going up sure made it harder to find stuff around here. I am alway looking on C-list and check in your area occassionally, so if you are needing something let me know. A while back someone about halfway between me and you had three 79-83 trucks.

I have always heard that the 2 wheel and 4 wheel fenders interchange but I cant say for sure. Seen some on ebay, but they are expensive. At least they are available.

A friend of mine has an 83 that he is working on and the only difference is the flares. I personally like the factory flares over the Bushwackers.

Been having a tough time finding upholstry for my 88. Well.. I can find it, just dont like their prices. I will be following along about your upholstry project.

I have been wondering, since I have some ripped seats in the shed about taking them apart and using the old pattern for a new seat cover.

Did you part out a 84-85 runner? If so I might be intrested in some pieces.

Subscribed.

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-06-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:22 AM

Oh the 4runner was trashed I mean bad it ran cattle in South Dakota for years and I put it threw two summers of mud pits and trail rides it was bad.... I do the same thing with c-list and parts for this model truck is very hard to find not rusted out.

Quick Reply: dirtdobberoffroad's 1982 Pickup Build-Up Thread