Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1983 Griffith trailblazer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok got it home. although on its first 15 mile trip in my possession it broke the water pump.(basically the only part i didnt pull and inspect.) too be fair it works just sounds bad.

pulled most of the aftermarket wires out of the dash.

water pump will be another days project.

Fixed the loose steering wheel.

finally home. sure the mechanic is happy to have it off the lot.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:48 AM

key stuck in ignition lock button won't depress.

Okay so I got that trailblazer back to my house the other day but found out the key locking mech seems to be messed up. It won't turn all the way back to lock and the button on the column you need to push to remove the key will not push down. Everything seems to be lined up, anything obvious I am missing?
Old 08-22-2014, 03:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the steering wheel in the locked position?, if so try to move the steering wheel while pressing down on the button as you try and remove the key.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:17 AM

Okay so I got this figured out. I had to remove the key mechinism. I thought it was broken but when I got it out the key came out no problem. So I put it back in got stuck again.
What it needed was lubed up real well inside the steering column. It was just causing friction and sticking up in there. I got both the key mech and housing all clean up and lubed well now it works great.
To get the key mech out you just have to push a little button behind the windshield wiper lever. While the key is in the acc position.
Anyway I can get this added to my trailblazer thread now?
Old 08-24-2014, 07:07 AM

Okay went down and picked up a shifter bushing set. My top one was totally gone. and the bottom one looked like a mushroom. lol Anyhow worked like a charm now I have nice smooth shifts and I can actually tell when I am in gear! lol 18$ at the stealership.
Fixed a key issue so now that works correctly.
Put in a new thermostat, the one in it was stuck half way between open and closed.
Tightened down the bolts in the steering column so now that is nice and snug.
Its drivable now for sure. Maybe its time for a fishing trip up a dirt road somewhere.
looks like I need both of these boots but one fell apart upon touching it. lol
by Schnayke, on Flickr

Last edited by Schnayke; 08-24-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats and enjoy!
Old 08-25-2014, 12:11 AM

Nice!
It's amazing how much those bushings improve driveability.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Per your request, I merged your ignition lock post to your Trailblazer thread. I also moved this Trailblazer thread to the Pre 84 Buildup section for you.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:27 AM

well I got the rotors on and the new break pads installed yesterday. First one took like 5 or 6 hours. second one took like 45 minutes. lol today will be the steering stabilizer/dampener, or shimmy dampener(chiltens manual calls it that.) I got stopped by sundown last night.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:13 AM

Well finished last night but I had to use flash lights and buy a tool. Had to use a two jaw puller to get the old steering dampener out. Then thought I installed the wrong hardware, then did install the wrong hardware, then got it right. lol Took awhile and screwing down the cap nut was a pain in the butt. I ended up just using a pipe wrench to hold onto the shock with a rag around it to protect it.
After all that it is relaxing to drive. I took it for a good long drive around my area's back roads and it just cruised along and didn't drive it's self around on the road at all. The breaks are nice and smooth and fixed the shuttering problem completely.
Next up is probably those boot's on the trans. I feel those need to be fixed asap.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:27 AM

So the clutch fan is bad. So I am going to pull that and the radiator. Take the rad too the shop and have it flow tested, and if it pass's cleaned and fixed up.
The thermostatic clutch I think I may rebuild myself, but I am going too just buy one at autozone or something for the mean time. When it gets hot the darn thing almost stops spinning. With the engine off you can give it a bit of a shove and it will spin more then a full revolution. I knock things off the list but it keeps growing.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:35 PM

wow, truly great job
Old 09-04-2014, 08:35 AM

Well got that fan clutch in. Having some issues with my throttle linkage, I am getting binding. I must have put that thing on in 100 different configurations yesterday and all of them didn't work. So now to study lots of pictures and what not to figure out my issue. I plan to go too a you pull it kinda' junk yard today. Maybe I will pick up a stock linkage and see if I can get all that to work better.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:24 AM

Okay went too the junk yard and got the "J" hooks for the wiper blades so now I have windshield wipers.
Also figured out the problem with the linkage. Turns out on 4wd's there is a couple spacers that go under the throttle pulley. I had one and just didn't know what it went too, I used a stack of washers to make the other. Works great now.
Small victories.
Odd note I found that spacer pic and info on a totally different thread about another subject. Also in the same thread found out my hubs are not likely installed right. Those large nuts are just finger tight. So I gota' pick up a torque wrench and large socket to work on those.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:56 AM

So had some time to mess around with the truck again. I decided to do some stuff that didn't cost me anything because I didn't really have anything to spend. So I tackled the fuse box it was a mess. Here is a pic of before.
Untitled by Schnayke, on Flickr

This is what it looked like after. So many wrong fuse's.

So then I pulled up the carpet in font of the seats. (floor pans.) It was so dirty found just about anything to can think of including 22 bullets.(not just shells.) Passengers side floor pan. I didn't relize when I took this pick but the body mount has some rust in it. you can see it in the upper right hand corner.

Here is that body mount.

Here are some pics of the debris.

The body mount after some pb blaster and wiping off.

That body mount was a bummer, but I found out the transmission hump(don't know what that is called.) is dented in and ripped on the transfer case end. I'm not even sure what to do about this yet, any suggestions? Just leave it? doesn't seem to be messing with anything.
image by Schnayke, on Flickr

Lastly after digging deeper into this truck I have determined it was likely that off white color these came in originally. Well that is it for this weekend. Its nice and derivable now, I can just sit back and cruise down the road.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:44 PM

Man that is a awesome ride! Love it and it is definitely the first one of them I think I have ever seen!
Old 09-14-2014, 02:58 PM

Yeah I never seen one before this one either. I had seen a trekker or two. I'm thinking I probably had seen one of these and just thought it was a first gen with a topper.
Its a really fun rig and I am not totally sure if I am in the going to build it up to be really clean and nice or just fix broken stuff and keep it going that way yet. So far I am still just fixing the broken stuff, stage and kinda' feel like I won't ever make it out. In the tunnel but no light at the end yet. lol
The whole dash is a mess. I think I may just have to buy a new one even the metal has been bent and cut and drilled. none of the plastic trim is in good shape and most of it is gone, no vents. Just going through and fixing it up is a project in it's self and then at that point I may do a full frame off rebuild. I currently have no shop or inside place to work on it though.
If this wasn't a first gen I would probably be looking for a donor truck but all the cheap blown motor or no motor first gens in the area are broken in all the same ways this one is.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:17 PM

Hey man you definitely got a gem there I know may not seem like you are making a lot of progress but just keep thinking forward and plug away at the little things one at a time and keep us updated! I think all of us need a little shot in the arm of encouragement sometimes LOL just going outside looking at my truck I cringe sometimes but then I get on here and look at some of these great rides and im back in the game!
Everything around here is in just as worse shape as mine as far as interior goes. But I think I am going to try and repair my dash and also the plastic pieces. I have a nice heat gun and I know that I can buy some ABS plastic that is textured in small sheets for cheap so doesn't hurt to try.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:30 PM

Okay a few days back I got out and did a bit more polishing on this turd, so too speak. lol
Took the rear window off because it was needing about half the bolts and I wanted to try and clear the plastic. I failed at clearing the plastic but did get new hardware on it and it doesn't wiggle all around any more. Also got the handle off. I had to use a sawzall. It was very rusted in place. I am going too go hit up a rv place and see if I can't get a glass piece installed. at this point it is on the truck again and I can see out of it better but it is still very fogged.

Somone asked me awhile back where the stock window strut mounting was. At the time I hadn't relized it but I do have the stock ones on the inside still but not on the glass. So here is a picture they are mounted to the roll bar cover.

So then I decided I didn't like those plastic siding pieces on the truck, most of them where peeling off and I figured they must just be holding water and causing problems. so I removed them. Here are some pics before.

This is what it looks like/ uncovered after.

While I was doing that I inspected the rest of the body panels more and found a few places of rust. (kinda' wonder how much this paint job is covering.

Also started removing the rear carpet, pad and wood. Didn't get too far on that but its a start. drilled out the metal cap pieces.

This is what it looks like under the carpet. Which is rubber backed and the rubber is still in good shape. I think this must have been a replacement piece of carpet.

Here is a pic of the back end and my toolbox/center console.

Well thats it. Tuesday I am going out to pick up some stock toyota 15" aluminum rims. Like the ones from 1st gen 4 runners. Also the guy has a dash, and nice tube bumper. I am hoping to get it all for not too much. Another guy about a block from me is selling a single rim that match's the one I am buying. I am hoping to buy that for my spare. Drove it about 150 miles this week and it still needs some front end work because I have some free play in the steering wheel. Hope the stock rims and an alignment will fix that up.

Last edited by Schnayke; 10-12-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:40 AM

So here is that dash! 40$ I feel like I got a good deal. Almost paid that much for just the plastic pieces.

Quick Reply: 1983 Griffith trailblazer.