Utah Utah Chapter

A Plea For HELP! To Anyone Within A Reasonable Distance Of American Fork Canyon

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Plea For HELP! To Anyone Within A Reasonable Distance Of American Fork Canyon

I don't get on here too often anymore, but I do know that there are a lot of good experienced guys here.
Well I had one of those "Wow, I'm an idiot" moments today and long story short, my 86 4Runner is halfway over the edge of the trail all the way at the top of Mary Ellen Gulch in AF Canyon.
Believe me, I've already realized how dumb/reckless/whatever-other-adjectives-you-want-to-throw-in-here it was, so I'd appreciate everyone skipping the lectures.
But if anyone would be willing to go up and help me attempt to save it, I would GREATLY, SERIOUSLY appreciate it.
And the help of someone with some truly legitimate recovery experience would certainly come in handy because I'll tell you right now it's not gonna be a quick, easy job.
Or to put it another way, I've already accepted the fact that it very well could just go over in the process of trying to recover it.
But I do think it's possible...

Anyway, I didn't have the sense to take a whole bunch of different pictures, but I did get this one.

Name:  IMG_20130702_132542.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  124.1 KB

To give you a little explanation - the picture makes it look milder than it is, of course.
Above the treeline, so nothing to hook to or winch from besides a small boulder which the winch line is attached to. I doubt it's good for much though.
And of course, the winch died as soon as I started trying to spool it in. I reset its breaker and still no-go, so I'm thinking it's a more serious internal issue.
Though, like I said, even if it was working, I don't think it would do me too much good.
Also, there's no way for anything to get around to the front of the truck.

So again, if anyone would be willing to help me out, it would really mean a lot.
And obviously, there would be dinner ...or beer, or whatever in it for you.

If you have any other questions about the positioning or situation, feel free to ask.
Thank you guys.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It looks like you could just turn the wheel the opposite direction and drive out? Well, looking at the picture it seems doable. Are you high-centered?

Beyond that if there is no way to get a truck around you, then that is a sticky situation. It will be touch-and-go if someone pulls you back downhill and the wheels turn to allow too much of the weight to face down hill...then it's 2 trucks going down.

I will send this link to a couple of guys that own land cruisers around SLC, maybe they can round something up...
Old 07-02-2013, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to see more pics or maybe a video of this. As stated its looks like your just posing for a pic. Hit reverse and back up. I really don't see nor understand how your stuck pictures don't tell justice huh
Old 07-03-2013, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Curious to see an update here. Good luck bud.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, the picture REALLY doesn't do it justice. Forgive the link to another forum, but this thread is where the discussion has been going strong...

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php...an-Fork-Canyon
Old 07-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Now those are a cool bunch of people, you're a lucky guy in an unlucky situation. Crossing fingers for you......and toes!

EDIT: Just checked to see how things went! Congrats on getting it out smoothly enough and for the team of people you had on your side!!!

Last edited by habanero; 07-05-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
snwbrdr852, great to see your rig was successfully recovered! It was interesting following the rme4x4 site.

x2 what Hab says in her edit.