2010+ 4Runner 5th gen 4Runners

Looking at a 2010 TE, my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at a 2010 TE, my thoughts

I currently drive an 08 FJ Trail Team which is stock. It's been a pretty good truck, especially in the winter, but lacks some key features that I want:

- heated side mirrors (try driving an FJ with frosted side mirrors!)
- sunroof
- more cargo space
- true fold flat cargo space (remove the fold down stopper)
- roll down rear window

I'm scheduled to pick up my new 4R TE (salsa red, only one around here available) tomorrow, but I have two present concerns. The first is that while the FJammer stereo isn't the best, it's still much better sounding than the stock 4R radio. The party mode isn't much of an improvement, probably worse listening inside the truck. The second concern is the nose dive and bobbing when stopping. I had to take another test drive tonight to check this out. It's VERY noticeable, but I would not call it disconcerting. However, it is almost a deal breaker for me. I'm not the modding type of guy so I won't be installing a lift kit or messing with the suspension. I know no vehicle is perfect (the fj has its flaws), but I still think the plus outweighs the minus with the 4R TE. In Canada the KDSS and running boards are stock and not options.

Thoughts about the stereo and nose dive?

Rob
Old 06-22-2010, 05:54 AM

I honestly haven't been bothered by the nose diving. Hence, I have the SR5 and I have heard that it is less of an issue in the trail and Limited due to those two models having different suspension setups.

If your picking up a TE, then you *might* have the upgraded 15 speaker JBL system (I don't know the package setups in Canada) which I've heard is pretty good.

Well, you'll be more than happy with the 4Runner. I been enjoying mine for a few months and it's a very solid vehicle. The sound system is nice on the SR5 (I have the stage 2/3 audio), and the party mode is useless other than for when camping out behind your truck.

Last edited by angrydog; 06-22-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by angrydog
I honestly haven't been bothered by the nose diving. Hence, I have the SR5 and I have heard that it is less of an issue in the trail and Limited due to those two models having different suspension setups.

If your picking up a TE, then you *might* have the upgraded 15 speaker JBL system (I don't know the package setups in Canada) which I've heard is pretty good.

Well, you'll be more than happy with the 4Runner. I been enjoying mine for a few months and it's a very solid vehicle. The sound system is nice on the SR5 (I have the stage 2/3 audio), and the party mode is useless other than for when camping out behind your truck.
Unfortunately the TE here in Canada still has the standard radio system and there is no JBL upgrade option. It's reminiscent of the RAV4 where the JBL radio is only available on the limited and the standard unit in the Sport/Base models is completely awful. I had a 2006 RAV4 and changed the speakers, but that did not improve the sound at all. Therefore I am suspecting the case may be similar with the 4RTE.

I removed the cd's from the FJAMMER radio in my FJ this morning only to notice that the unit has been scratching them!

At lunch I am picking up the TE...

Rob
Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 AM

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the sound system can always be fixed/upgraded. I can't realate to your CD problems in the Runner as I never play CD in the Runner. The Usb port in the Runner + 8GB Usb drive comes very handy to add music quickly.

Congrats on the TE, and make sure you write your first impressions here.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by angrydog
Hmm, I'm pretty sure the sound system can always be fixed/upgraded. I can't realate to your CD problems in the Runner as I never play CD in the Runner. The Usb port in the Runner + 8GB Usb drive comes very handy to add music quickly.

Congrats on the TE, and make sure you write your first impressions here.
Thanks, I just got home from work with it. I am sure I'll miss my FJ - I probably would have never bought one until I saw the Trail Team edition in 2008. The 06 RAV4 I had prior to that was quick, but the 4wd was not very good on it. I think for prairie winters a good 4wd vehicle is a must. We had a lot of snow last winter and the FJ handled it with no problem. I don't know how good these stock duelers h/t are on snow/ice, but hopefully better than the AT KO that were stock on the FJ. There are much more quiet that's for sure.

Did I get a good deal? Well by what these sell for in the US - definitely not. With only 1 TE in the general area it was impossible to haggle any further. Am I happy? So far.

I only wish the cargo retainer folded FLAT instead of still being a bump. I am considering removing it.

Rob