2010+ 4Runner 5th gen 4Runners

Dear Toyota... I WANT A MANUAL

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 03:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yodercrawler55
Im waiting for the Mahindra trucks to hopefully roll out this year in the U.S., its a little diesel truck like an older hilux that is made from india. its expected to be released in 2011 but has been delayed a few years due to contract provisions. If this truck gets introduced into the U.S., other U.S. automakers wil be frantic at putting a small diesel truck on the market. Ford already has plans for a diesel 4.3 i believe, sounds like they are still lingering to see what happens if this indian truck gets released.

Those Mahindras look like across between a Tacoma and a Rav4. Kinda ugly but it's cool someones trying to bring back small trucks. Even the Tacoma has become monstrous these days, it sucks.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Toyota would be surprised how many 4Runners they could sell with a stick. But maybe that is just me, the actual connect rate for manual transmissions in the US is pretty low.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoofa
I think Toyota would be surprised how many 4Runners they could sell with a stick. But maybe that is just me, the actual connect rate for manual transmissions in the US is pretty low.
Actually the reason they stopped producing them was because they hardly sold any. 2000 was the last year for manuals, and even then they were very very rare. Lazy americans want lazy vehicles. The 90% of the population that buys 4Runners agrees.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Actually the reason they stopped producing them was because they hardly sold any. 2000 was the last year for manuals, and even then they were very very rare. Lazy americans want lazy vehicles. The 90% of the population that buys 4Runners agrees.
It would still be nice to have the option available for the other 15% (more than 10% to allow for sample error )
It's not like they are not made they do offer the stick in other markets...
Old 10-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Toyota goes where the money is.

In America, the money is in Automatics.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My guess is a that in a lot of cases, the wives/girlfriends can't drive stick and in order to get the approval from the ministry of finance, he has to buy autmatics. Most guys I know prefer standard, only a few of my female friends can drive standard. Car-enthusiasts are mostly guys and nowadays, its car enthusiast who learn to drive stick.

Last edited by Matt16; 10-18-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:20 PM

I rather have a diesel than a manual... Times are changing, just because it's new doesn't mean it's a bad thing.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll never drive an automatic. If I become unable to drive stick then I will quit driving, plain and simple. I don't see a single benefit of an automatic transmission. Learn to drive stick properly.... and driving in traffic on hills will become completely natural and takes no effort or thought.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:26 PM

Im really just not happy with anything that toyota is doing anymore. Its not that I completely dislike the new 4runner or tacomas, but there so many things they could have done better. Not trying to copy all the domestic vehicles would be the main one. I hate these gigantic boats they are making now. Why, if american car companies are failing, would toyota go and try and copy them? when they are the ones who are succeeding? It just doesnt make any sense. I want a small, simple, 4x4 with a manual and a SFA that is as tough as they can possibly make it. I dont give a crap about a electronic this or a sensory that or automatic whatever. Its ridiculous. What is toyota doing???
Old 01-25-2011, 02:16 PM

I got a manual and like it on roadtrips and in the mountains and hills. But it sucks in traffic, it's notchy, the clutch movement in the bell housing dries out w rain. It has been reliable (knock on wood) and don't suffer the milkshake syndrom of same generation 4runners. But I am the only one who can drive it.

It just doesn't sell here. If the general population drove more stick we would have the option.

And yes I want a diesel with that too
Old 05-12-2011, 04:13 PM

Yeah, I used to love my manual, but in high traffic areas. (EVERYWHERE around here) it blows. Although, I did consider buying another until I learned they didnt offer it for the 5th gen.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:34 AM

why does toyota even come out with a "trail edition"????? the only thing "trail" on it is the rear e-locker. thank you toyota for the factory westin running boards, a tom tom navi, a stereo system with ipod dock and unique badging, because thats what i NEED on the trails.

how bout: an e-locker in front, factory sliders, twin sticks, a removable top, small diesel motor, straight axle, no chrome and have your "unique badging" say: "this isnt your soccer mom's highlander"
Old 07-12-2011, 12:53 PM

Interesting to find this thread. I actually emailed Toyota about the same thing back in February. Heres what I said:
---------------------
I currently drive one of the rare 3rd gen 4Runners with a manual Transmission. I was so happy when you introduced the new tacomas with the option of 6 speed manual. Then the FJs came along with the same option and I got my hopes up. Now the new 4Runner is here, but no manual option for it even though it has the same engine. What are the odds that you will reintroduce the manual transmission 4Runner? Maybe as a special TRD edition? All you have to do is search google to find out how saught after the existing ones are and I can get a list of a few thousand people that want the new ones to have it if that would help.

Also, I've been waiting for Toyota to bring their diesels to the US but found out there are currently no plans to do so (LAME!). I figure a manual transmission 4Runner would give me enough faith in the company to buy a new vehicle and hold out long enough for the deisels to come, because I know they will eventually. At least you kept rear power window. I'll be a Toyota customer for life but it's been a while since I've had anything to get excited about.

Concerned Toyota Customer
-Nick
-----------------

And surprisingly got a much better response than the original poster:

-----------------
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., Mr. Blackman, and thank you for driving a Toyota 4Runner!

Your feedback to Toyota suggesting a manual transmission is greatly appreciated, and we appreciate your enthusiasm and candor!

Generally, product decisions are based on customer research, which is continuous as customer needs evolve.

We try to scope our customers out in advance, by researching the market, conducting interviews, surveys, focus groups and doing our homework, but there's no better source than a Toyota owner or intender who takes the time to tell us like it is.

We can't guarantee that your suggestion would be implemented, but if it were, it would be driven by just this sort of honest communication. Your comments have been made available to Toyota management.

Again, please accept our sincere thanks for taking the time and trouble to let us know your thoughts.

Toyota values you as a customer, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concern. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us at www.toyota.com/help.

Sincerely,

James Fewel
-------------
Old 07-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

Wow... That's a great response Nick...

You know they'll need a whole lot more letters before they offer a manual here but at least it shows they are open to the idea...
Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 AM

From the sounds of it, if anyone is interested, start shooting emails at them. Who knows. Yotatech is a large enough community that we may be able to sway them.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:53 PM

I sent my email:

Dear Toyota:

I have been a faithful Toyota fan ever since I can remember. I am a serious off-roader, and I need a truck that can be trusted and dependable, whenever I am off the road in serious terrain. I have owned several Toyota 4x4s, including a 1996 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, a 1999 Toyota Tacoma TRD, a 2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4 and currently a 2011 Toyota 4runner 4x4. Toyota 4x4s are always the toughest trucks around, and I have proven that over and over.

I would like to express my deepest disappointment that you do not offer the new 5th generation Toyota 4runner in a manual transmission. I have greatly enjoyed my 2011 Toyota 4runner, but honestly do not think I will buy another 4runner unless you offer a manual option. While it is one heck of a truck, it's off road capabilities are dwarfed by the Tacomas that I have owned (both manual 5 speeds). The 4runner is aimed at off-road enthusiasts... those who do not want to do serious off-loading, will lean towards the Highlander, Rav4 or Sequoia, depending their needs... the 4runner seems to lean towards serious off-loading, and in my opinion a manual is a must. I am rather awestruck that you would offer a 6-speed manual in the Tacoma as well as in the FJ, but not in the 4runner. It strikes me as a serious underestimation of the crowd the 4runner attracts. I would even pay a significantly HIGHER sticker price to get this truck in manual, and be able to truly have control in an off-road environment. I feel I am not the only one with this opinion, and hope that you take this input into consideration.

Yours truly,

Another hardcore Toyota fan.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
^^ good luck...it took them till 2001 to have a double cab truck in the US when i have seen 79-83 body styles overseas..been asking for a SA turbo diesel in the US since '85..
Old 12-19-2011, 05:09 PM

Does anyone know if they are offering the 5th gen 4runner in a manual oversees? Or even a diesel? If they are automatics worldwide, there is no way they are going to reintroduce a manual just for the US market. If they are available, I believe enough letters and customer feedback supporting a manual really may help. If that be the case, I will start my letter as well...I hope others do too.

EDIT: probably should have read the first page first. I would love one of those manuals from Austrailia. I wonder if there is still an SFA option on 4runners oversees or if it is just in trucks.

Last edited by stockwell45; 12-19-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:51 PM

Heres mine!!

[Dear Toyota,
My name is Justin Kelley, and i currently own my first Toyota (not last, i will be a customer for life), an 89' Toyota Pickup 4X4. As many of my fellow Toyota Owners and i believe, Toyota has strayed from its old ways of building hard core, top of the line off-road vehicles. I believe that Toyota should choose to offer the manual transmission from the FJ Cruiser and the Tacoma as an option for the 4Runner and Tundra. I also believe that you should reintroduce the Landcruiser, which should be a very basic hard core off road vehicle. It should have the option of a manual transmission, a diesel engine, and a Solid Front Axle. I have been a loyal Toyota customer, and will continue to be. Although, i would be more willing to purchase a brand new vehicle if these options were offered. I encourage you tpo check out this link to a Toyota Forum where many other Toyota owners are sharing their ideas about future Toyota development.
"https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f193/dear-toyota-i-want-manual-216247/"
Thank You for your time and i look forward to hearing back from you.
- Loyal Toyota Owner Justin Kelley]
Old 12-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Dear Customer who wants a manual,

Thank you blah blah blah

Thank you blah blah blah

We appreciate it blah blah blah

Pound sand blah blah blah

Sincerely,

Toyota Grunt who responds to letters

:wabbit2: