Other Makes Cars/Trucks Own a different car or truck other than a Toyota?

What's your other vehicle? Is it your daily driver over your 4x4 rig?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What's your other vehicle? Is it your daily driver over your 4x4 rig?

So last year I wanted a 4runner. I had perfect condition 91 civic with 120,xxx miles(newer motor at around 80k). This dumbass traded it for the 4runner i have now. It has always been a good vehicle, but I beat the crap outa it and have gone through one motor and two clutches and two timing chains from wheeling and abusing it. It has costed me nothing but money and when it was down,and I was back to riding my motorcyle 15 miles to work in the freezing 50 degree rain in the winter. plus re gearing is expensive, and i want atleast 33's to wheel. the MPG's are killing me.

Now i think i need a daily driver, I think i want to get another toyota since I already kknow the 22re and other drivetrain and running gear inside and out, so i will be able to know how to fix it on my own. If a good deal comes up on another little honda, I will think about it. But where Im moving, the highway that goes into the main city will have snow on it, so I was thinking another 4wd truck or 4unnre(although I would love a little 2wd standard cab shortbed).
Or i will thinking an AWD subaru outback. I heard they are excellent in the snow, but they abour the 4 grand price range in the years im looking.

Thoughts? Experience? Opinions? Thanks!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:35 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
subaru's are good cars if you're looking that route. you won't get that great of gas mileage compared to a small fwd car, because of the AWD, but should still be in the mid-high 20's. my DD is an '01 Corolla S/5spd - has 175k on it now I still average 38-40mpg on the hwy doing 75-80mph. i,too, have thought of getting a little 2wd 22re pickup because i've already got a 22re in my 4wd, so less parts to store in the garage, but i'd rather have a motorcycle again. a 2wd with 22re/5spd should get somewhere just shy of 30mpg which is MUCH better than the tacoma 2wds. had a 2wd single cab tacoma/auto and the thing only got like 20mpg, no thanks!

btw, 50* is not that cold, sounds like you need a bike more suited to commuting with some fairings, tall windscreen, hand guards, heated grips, etc. eventually i plan on getting myself a vstrom and ride that thing most of the year. i miss my SV...
Old 05-11-2011, 01:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been DD the 4runner 16mpg....

I used to daily a CRX and would get about 35mpg.. but got in an accident.. picked up bumper, hood an part to fix it soon..
Old 05-11-2011, 04:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by highonpottery
subaru's are good cars if you're looking that route. you won't get that great of gas mileage compared to a small fwd car, because of the AWD, but should still be in the mid-high 20's. my DD is an '01 Corolla S/5spd - has 175k on it now I still average 38-40mpg on the hwy doing 75-80mph. i,too, have thought of getting a little 2wd 22re pickup because i've already got a 22re in my 4wd, so less parts to store in the garage, but i'd rather have a motorcycle again. a 2wd with 22re/5spd should get somewhere just shy of 30mpg which is MUCH better than the tacoma 2wds. had a 2wd single cab tacoma/auto and the thing only got like 20mpg, no thanks!

btw, 50* is not that cold, sounds like you need a bike more suited to commuting with some fairings, tall windscreen, hand guards, heated grips, etc. eventually i plan on getting myself a vstrom and ride that thing most of the year. i miss my SV...
that was the temp during the day.
mornings would hit about 30 degrees, which was horrible on the freeway. I was numb lol. the way home wasnt as bad because it was mid day.

Yeah i love those little trucks, great gas mileage, but I do not think they would do well in the snow being 2wd and a light rear end
Old 05-11-2011, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is hard to get cheaper than the 2wd single cab. With gas going up it is hard to find some of the hondas. Subarus look neat to me but I'd want one that had the headgasket repairs already done. The last thing I want with some work car is work to do on it. I'd stay away from 98-01 corollas unless you like wrench work.

90's accords seem real easy to find. How good are they?
Old 05-16-2011, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my daily driver since my '84 truck is still under construction:

Not very good ground clearance but I've taken it some places that would surprise you. Just have to be careful about wheel placement.

It's unstoppable in the snow with the winter tires on it (summers in picture) and if I keep my foot out of the gas it gets okay mileage (mid-upper 20s on the freeway.)

Maybe more $ than you want to spend? It's an '06 and you can get into '02 - '04 models for about $10K, now. Biggest problem is finding one that some kid hasn't thrashed (I looked at a lot of beat ones with less than 50k miles on them before I found this one - had 38k when I bought it and ran and looked new). Outback or legacy wagon might be a better choice for lower $$ and less worries about abusive previous owners.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:50 PM

Chainsaw Willie, that's a nice Subaru.

Subarus are great four season transportation. My Outback Sport was like a mini SUV that handled pretty well, stopped and steered predictably, and got around 30 mpg. I always stomped on it though, I couldn't help myself.

Also, as basically everyone has mentioned, awesome in the snow. There's a ton of them here in NH, and for very good reason. I wouldn't shy away from the 12-1500 dollar range if you only want to have a car for two years or so. Then if you do, you can still get half that back unless the body is rotten.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine is my dd,wifes sportin an 08 fj...
Old 05-19-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Resto-noob
Chainsaw Willie, that's a nice Subaru.

Subarus are great four season transportation. My Outback Sport was like a mini SUV that handled pretty well, stopped and steered predictably, and got around 30 mpg. I always stomped on it though, I couldn't help myself.

Also, as basically everyone has mentioned, awesome in the snow. There's a ton of them here in NH, and for very good reason. I wouldn't shy away from the 12-1500 dollar range if you only want to have a car for two years or so. Then if you do, you can still get half that back unless the body is rotten.
Thanks! It's been a fun, trouble-free car for the last 50K miles. Still runs like a top and doesn't burn any oil. Unfortunately my recent unemployment may force me to sell it.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:12 PM

Just a 96 Civic cx that i build for dirt cheap (2k) that gets 36mpg and has 130k miles and a set of rear biased springrate coilovers for autocrossing. It only weights 2200lbs with a full tank according to the co-op scales. The 4runner weights 4140lbs with 255/85

I still have to wire up the powerfolding mirrors for it.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:26 AM

i sold my 91 civic which got 40mpg for this truck. then fuel prices went up. gas was a steady 3.60 while i had the civic...

so i bought a motorcycle for the nice days. otherwise the toyota is my daily while i continue to work on my v8 s10
Old 07-12-2011, 09:57 AM

My T4R is my daily driver (when I'm not on two wheels) but our other whip is a '05 Subaru Legacy sedan. 93k on it, we LOVE it. I put dedicated snows on the stock rims for winter, and it is unstoppable; bought another set of 17" 7-spokers w/ Hankooks on them for "not-winter" and it's just been a fantastic car. Wife loves it (it's her daily driver), I love it ... great on trips, too. We've got a Thule box for the top, but you can still fit like 8 or 9 dead bodies in the trunk.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:13 AM

I split time between the two. AC doesnt work in the 4Runner, so the Vette gets most of the hot weather duty. On the other hand, i dont like driving the Vette in rough weather conditions so the 4Runner sees action most of the winter. My car averages around 27mpg (which surprises most people) when i can keep my foot out of the tank.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:02 PM

My 85 was my DD when I bought it but livin in LA with traffic became a drag. Now I ride a 96 Honda 1100 Shadow for the commute. Less time on the highways and 50mpg. Saves me money and wear/tear on my rig.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:12 PM

I DD an 05 Chevy 4x4 CCLB duramax, love the truck and it rides so nice...
Old 10-26-2011, 06:52 AM

The 94 4x4 is my DD. Wife drives the 11 Taco 4x4. I ride the bike when the weather's good and try to drive the F450 maybe once a week.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:05 AM

MY DD is my grandmas 2002 Camry hahaha it gets about 29MPG
Old 10-26-2011, 09:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had to get another vehicle when the Runner was getting its engine replaced. picked this up for $700. cleaned it up, tinted the windows and painted up some cheap fleabay wheel covers to give it a little style. now that the Runner's tranny is whining in 3rd and 5th, i'm REALLY glad i have it to use as DD instead. it's probably the best $700 i've spent on the truck so far. (yes, it's all about the truck, ha!)
Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
My 4Runner is still the daily driver. but the plan is to pick up a relatively clean, original and stock 87-93 mustang GT 5.0 5 speed whenever i find one on Craigslist
Old 10-27-2011, 07:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
My 4Runner is still the daily driver. but the plan is to pick up a relatively clean, original and stock 87-93 mustang GT 5.0 5 speed whenever i find one on Craigslist
those cars really are fun. they were THE car to have when i was in high school. a buddy of mine had one, and he laid donuts with it EVERYWHERE. you HAD TO wear your seatbelt, because the door handles and center console had already been ripped out from previous passengers trying to hold on!

from what i recall, the 5.0 LX was technically quicker because of its gearing in the rear end. so you might expand your search to include those.

Quick Reply: What's your other vehicle? Is it your daily driver over your 4x4 rig?