Other Makes Cars/Trucks Own a different car or truck other than a Toyota?

Mercedes 280SE

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes 280SE

A friend of mine rescued a 1971 280SE from the scrap yard for $600. I know nothing about these cars but really took a liking to it so I did a bit of googling and found that when properly restored, these things are apparently fetching upwards of $100k. The car is very good condition especially considering where my friend bought it from. I have no idea why someone decided to send it to the scrap yard. The body has no visible rust, but does have some eraser head sized pimples and is very straight. The interior has a few loose parts but seems to be all there. I'm not sure about the motor, but it was running according to my friend. Anyways, he doesn't have the time for the car. I do and am being offered to buy it for basically what he paid, but my mechanical knowledge and experience is limited so I'm thinking this will put me in over my head and I'll eventually just sell it, but it's a pretty cool car and could be a fun project if I can handle it.

Is anyone here familiar with them? Will I be able to get parts from local shops or will it be mercedes specific? I'm in a small town that doesn't have a mercedes dealer so that is why I ask.

Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks.