Other Makes Cars/Trucks Own a different car or truck other than a Toyota?

1967 Mustang Coupe 289/C4

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
1967 Mustang Coupe 289/C4

So many of you know I picked up a 1967 Mustang yesterday. Figured i'd make a little forum about it so everyone can see my junk and see how it transforms over the Summer

Drivetrain:
Its your typical 289/C4. Runs great. idles smoothly. Unfortunately its not the original engine, but it is an original C code 289. and the car is a C code... I guess I cant complain for being close?

Body:
No rust what so ever. needs a paint job. the front & rear windows need to be resealed, the hood needs to be replaced, the antenna needs to be replaced, the front bumper is missing the guards and the rear bumper is tweaked slightly. The trunk and the driver side door are not the original body pieces. The trunk was a burgandy color where as the door is a lime-green.

Interior:
Front seats need to be upholstered. and the radio needs to be wired back up. The headliner, rear seat and dash are all in great condition.

Brakes:
has the factory F&R drums. doesn't stop too bad. totally different that my truck.

Tires:
Newish tires. ugly impala-looking spoke rims.

Plans:
my #1 goal is to get it safe and drive able. Seeing how it runs great right now. Im not too worried about that currently. Here's a list of things I have planned in order of importance for now.

Drain all fluids - Differential, Engine oil, Transmission Fluid, Radiator fluid, etc
Seat Belts
Ford Granada Front Disc Brakes

Pics:

Video:
http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=IMG_1772.mp4
Old 05-18-2012, 10:57 AM

Had my first bonding moment with the Mustang. One of the tranny cooler hoses blew out. luckily it did it in my driveway and not on the way home!

Old 05-18-2012, 01:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, I had this picture in my mind that it was FAR worse! NICE! That thing will be sick when you're done, I can't wait to see it progress.

Nice find, man.... and again, Happy Birthday(Nice gift to yourself, eh? lol)
Old 05-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wow, I had this picture in my mind that it was FAR worse! NICE! That thing will be sick when you're done, I can't wait to see it progress.

Nice find, man.... and again, Happy Birthday(Nice gift to yourself, eh? lol)
Yeah. My pops is still kinda ehhhhh about it. He knows im capable and have the skills. and he knows i've been itching for horse power. ( i haven't had a fast car since i totaled my integra GSR in 2007 ) So i purposely waiting until my record was 100% clean. But hes just worried that I might wrap it around a pole, or crash into something else.

But regardless... fun little car. I love it already. I definitely understand how people say these cars have "personalities" lol

I'm going to be doing a little work to it tonight. Here's the list of things to do:

Swap hoods
New Oil pan, bolts and gasket
New Valve cover gaskets
Pull the air filter and polish it
Pull the Monte Carlo bar and polish it
Tighten the Alternator and Power Steering pullies
Reattach the passenger seat
Repaint the Interior panels
Oil Change
Radiator Flush
Power Steering flush
Auto Transmission flush
Old 05-18-2012, 02:05 PM

Yeah, pops's don't mean any harm! lol... Better he's concerned than 'Meh, go kill yourself, see if I care', right? haha...

The other hood is a GT style one as well?

Monte Carlo bar? Usually reserved for HO 289's and up. MY GTA had one but another stock 67 Coupe I had didn't... You check the stamp on that block, make sure it isn't a 'K' series?(trying to remember how that went.... You'll figure it out, lol). Just curious.

Wow, lots planned... REALLY nice lines on those.. what about the wheels? Those staying? I LOVED the steel style wheels like in that pic I posted on your other build. I paid like 50$ a peace for a couple extras back in the 90's.... NO WAY IN HELL I'd get them for that, now! lol.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:12 PM

Yeah, pops's don't mean any harm! lol... Better he's concerned than 'Meh, go kill yourself, see if I care', right? haha...

The other hood is a GT style one as well?

Monte Carlo bar? Usually reserved for HO 289's and up. MY GTA had one but another stock 67 Coupe I had didn't... You check the stamp on that block, make sure it isn't a 'K' series?(trying to remember how that went.... You'll figure it out, lol). Just curious.

Wow, lots planned... REALLY nice lines on those.. what about the wheels? Those staying? I LOVED the steel style wheels like in that pic I posted on your other build. I paid like 50$ a peace for a couple extras back in the 90's.... NO WAY IN HELL I'd get them for that, now! lol.
Yep its a replacement GT hood. I dont think ill be adding the blinker indicators back on it though. I kinda like the scoops

The Monte carlo bar was added by the previous owner. the shock tower has a slight crack in it, and he added the bar to prevent it from getting worse. Ill get it welded and redone.

Im actually thinking of throwing some Cragar Soft 8 steelies on it. 17x9 with 5.5" backspacing on the back with 17x8 with 4" backspacing on the front with some nice street tires. Everyone does 5 spoke, outlaw IIs or torque wheels on the classics... I love nothing better than a cheap steelie. Since im planning on painting the car Pebble Beige. I think the black wheels will really make the Tan color pop.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see minitubs, slicks and wheelie bars in this cars future
Old 05-18-2012, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
I see minitubs, slicks and wheelie bars in this cars future
lol no way... I cant do that to a classic. Im going to get it reliable enough to be streetable. Im headed now to go get an Oil pan, new bolts, gasket and drain plug right now. Gotta start somewhere, right?

I'll be honest... i havent STOPPED looking at things to do to this car since I got it.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
lol no way... I cant do that to a classic. Im going to get it reliable enough to be streetable. Im headed now to go get an Oil pan, new bolts, gasket and drain plug right now. Gotta start somewhere, right?

I'll be honest... i havent STOPPED looking at things to do to this car since I got it.
Yeah, those older cars are usually never ending projects. It's great that you have plans to actually drive it instead of building it up and then letting it collect dust like some people do!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
Yeah, those older cars are usually never ending projects. It's great that you have plans to actually drive it instead of building it up and then letting it collect dust like some people do!
What good is a car that doesn't move? worthless paper weight... I fully understand garage queens, and respect them. but those suckers need to move every weekend.

So I didn't get a whole lot done yesterday. The girlfriend threw a surprise birthday party for me last night. So i basically got the interior assembled and the motor cleaned up. lol
Old 05-19-2012, 10:36 AM

So things i've bought for the car already:

new black lap/seat belts
new door sill
kick panels w/ speaker hole
bolts for the front seats
bolts for the passenger side fender
gasket for the oil pan
gaskets for the valve covers

They didn't have a black oil pan in stock. so i'll order than next time im in there. I'll buy new valve covers, an intake manifold and carb for it when I get the disc brakes done.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:00 PM

Take lots of pics.... and then POST EM! lol. Cool to watch these come into crisp condition over time

Brakes, ...yep, those are important with these old lead sleds! Did a few conversions on the faster rods I had..... Just too scary hitting 100mph FAST, ...then back to zero WAY too slow! hahaha.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good. Ive had a few mustangs over the years but my last one I kept.

Still have my 68 Fastback although its new home is on the side of the house and is as above "a paper weight".

As far as brakes are concerned. Disk brakes are worth every penny whether you go name brand (I have SSBC's) or just to a swap. I rebuild my drums many times and could never get the unassisted lane change out of them in panic situations.
Attached Thumbnails 1967 Mustang Coupe 289/C4-mycar3.jpg   1967 Mustang Coupe 289/C4-mycar1.jpg  
Old 05-20-2012, 08:36 PM

Yeah, I cant afford a fastback... lol I think i'll be happy with my 67 coupe.

Im going to be going with Granda slotted rotors and calipers. should be a fun little swap. My brother's cost him about 500 ish bucks for all new hardware. So i cant complain...

I also found out my stang already has hooker headers! ( found the stamp on it ) so im pretty pleased with that since thats what i planned on getting anyway. I might order up a set of mufflers, and an X pipe to go with it. maybe go drive it down to get it welded in so the exhaust is much louder Its only 1 1/4" pipes and 3 chamber mufflers... super super quiet.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 AM

So here's some of the work I did on it and parts I bought.

Painted my Monte Carlo Bar with some engine enamel I had lying around. I also went and bought some new bolts for it. ( damn previous owner put allen head bolts on it. so I went and bought some grade 8 hardware )

Before:

After:

Here's some of the goodies I bought

And more goodies.

Here's with the kick panels installed... I need to grab some new speakers for them!

I also modified the grille a little bit. Removed the trim, painted it black and polished the pony
Before:

After:

Here's the polished pony
Old 05-21-2012, 09:38 AM

Very cool, ....PIX! lol. Nice work, I'll be watching and enjoying it's transformation.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:29 AM

Very cool, ....PIX! lol. Nice work, I'll be watching and enjoying it's transformation.
Yeah the interior is almost 100% assembled. I repainted the back quarter panels, near the rear seat. to gloss black. The doors need to be sanded down on the inside and painted gloss black. I also need the weather stripping that goes on the rear panels that goes down to the door sill.

I also pulled the stereo and found FO MO CO on it I always enjoy finding original parts... hell, even the radiator is still original from 1967. ( 45 year old radiator and it still works? unbelievable )

Today im headed to register and insure it. insurance on it is only 40 a month for a 22 year old! my 4Runner is more expensive than it is ( 80 a month ) lol

Im currently looking at wheels/tires for it

Thinking of going with 17x8 245/45/17s up front and 17x9 275/45/17s in the back.

Im also calling around for paint/body work costs. I REALLY want to put it back to its original color ( dark moss green ) but I have a feeling the metallic paint is going to be out of my budget. With new rims, tires and paint. itll be a whole different car!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Could be out of budget.... but MAN, that's a sick color! Might be worth the wait and run primer for now? Anyway, nice work! I had the same radiator too... amazing!

Far as tires, I think I went 275/60/16x10's in the rear and 245/60/16x 8's in the front. I thought of going lower profile, but I noticed a 'HARD' difference in my buddies 65 with lo pro's... He Wound up with 50's and I wound up with 60's... He felt the 60's on mine looked a bit more, well, original, but with the wider stance it still looked aggressive. I'd go peep out a few on PBucket and paste em up here to get some idea of what you want to FINALLY settle on for good.. Cuz good sport tires aint cheap! lol. Always ran BFG's, but there's LOTS on CL, diff. brands, that would work and save you LOTS, ya know?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-21-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:55 PM

Could be out of budget.... but MAN, that's a sick color! Might be worth the wait and run primer for now? Anyway, nice work! I had the same radiator too... amazing!

Far as tires, I think I went 275/60/16x10's in the rear and 245/60/16x 8's in the front. I thought of going lower profile, but I noticed a 'HARD' difference in my buddies 65 with lo pro's... He Wound up with 50's and I wound up with 60's... He felt the 60's on mine looked a bit more, well, original, but with the wider stance it still looked aggressive. I'd go peep out a few on PBucket and paste em up here to get some idea of what you want to FINALLY settle on for good.. Cuz good sport tires aint cheap! lol. Always ran BFG's, but there's LOTS on CL, diff. brands, that would work and save you LOTS, ya know?
Yeah I love the dark green... it really makes the chrome pop and with black rims, it would just blend in.

I was told the biggest a 67-70 mustang could go with without bashing the fenders or rolling them is a 245/45r17 up front and 275/40r17 in the rear on a 17" rim. I could go to 225/45r17 in the front and have it sit about an inch higher in the rear just by the tires? but i kinda want the suspension to do that, not the tires. As it is now, everyone on vintage mustang forums is giving me crap for how high it is... air shocks in the rear are pumped up all the way.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:05 PM

Picked up a 2 month old hood today from a guy off craigslist. Granted, its not OEM FO MO CO steel. but it should still definitely work. You can certainly tell a difference in the material used if you tap on it. I seriously thought it was fiberglass for a minute, but granted. i threw a magnet against it and its steel. The vents are plastic, but i still have my originals so im going to use those singe they're steel.

Quick Reply: 1967 Mustang Coupe 289/C4