Watercraft Boats, personal watercraft, ect

irab88's Sailboat and Trailer Build-Up Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 05:11 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
STEP 1- get a trailer

i'm getting a small boston whaler (brand) sailboat, so i need a way to put it out on the water. so i bought a trailer.

new tires, new lights, new bearings, everything greased. i got a very nice deal on it.

i'll get some more, better pictures later.

Last edited by irab88; 10-16-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
Awesome! I have a 13' 1972 Boston Whaler project. I stripped four layers of marine paint from the interior and the outside is now Awlgripped. I have the Whaler Blue Awlgrip for the interior but I need about three days without kids around to get it primed and painted. The interior mahogany is done and stored indoors. I rebuilt the $100 1983 trailer and the finish looks exactly like the trailers at Bass Pro with new boats. I derusted and sprayed it with silver hammertone Rustoleum. You'll notice, since you are near the Bay, that most trailers near brackish or salt water are galvanized rather than painted. I tried the spray galvy and the finish is blah. I had to get all new rollers and I got some blue silicone ones that look really sharp. They were on iBoats.com. I ended up replacing my hubs, wheels and tires for pretty cheap from Northern Tool.

Your sailboat will be 9' I think? There's a site out there for the sailboats. I think they are fairly rare. There's http://www.whalercentral.com and http://www.ContinuousWave.com generally about Whalers. There's a guy with Whaler that can tell you the build date and the original dealer. The above sites are good but they can tend to get snide and impatient with those that don't use the search button first.

I know I should post pictures but the laptop with them crashed about a year ago. I can direct you to my build page on Whaler Central but it only held about 14 pictures and it's a PITA to post pics there.

Those look like LED lights which is good. Make sure each light has its' own ground. That has been a problem area for some.

I'm subscribed to see the boat. I hope you get some time in it before it gets too cold.

Edit: I found my personal page. The pics are 3 years old. It looks way better now!
http://www.whalercentral.com/infusio...?user_id=12188

Last edited by Nervo19; 10-16-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:19 AM

the boat that i'm gonna pick up is similar to this one:

once i grab it (hopefully this weekend) i'll be sure to post lots o' pics

any-hoo, i got some more pictures this morning. i'll have to get some when the sun is still up and won't need the flash

new led submersible lights

wiring that i need to re-do

new tires. they still have the "fuzzies"

most of the paint is like this. nothin' a few rattle cans can't fix

and the trailer has a nice tilt-back feature where it "snaps" in half, tilting the rear of the trailer down

latch

pivot

and tilted back. it has a chain to keep it from going all the way

Old 10-17-2012, 04:20 AM

edit: pics are working now

Last edited by irab88; 10-17-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see them
Old 10-17-2012, 05:07 AM

thanks, they're back for me, too
Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 AM

for my reference

http://www.etrailer.com/question-17495.html

Old 10-17-2012, 06:03 PM

So I guess it's a Harpoon. Here's a site for it that's kind of hard to find:

http://www.ruach.net/Harpoon.shtml

The tilt feature is nice. My trailer is for a different type of boat but it has the tilt feature too. I was told they don't make them like that anymore. Have fun with it!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 PM

That Sailboat would go perfect with a beautiful girl and a bottle of wine. Either one or both, depending which way the wind blows
Old 10-19-2012, 05:13 PM

picking up the boat tomorrow. should go smoothly-ish

also, the trailer is long. not only is that the name brand (built in 1978), but it's literally longer than my truck. so i'm getting some more led's for it so, y' know, no one runs into it. hopefully.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:33 PM

STEP 2- get a boat

bam

tomorrow i won't get much done (i'm still moving stuff to my new house), but it will be trailered home, with a few adjustments to the trailer
Old 10-21-2012, 07:02 PM

So it is a 9' Squall. They have not been made since 1985! They are pretty sought after by camps and sailing clubs. They are a great beginner sailboat. You can often get new decals off eBay. Hold out for one that says Squall just like your original. If it hasn't been painted it would be preferable if you just buff it up and keep the original finish. There is a place that sells the matching gelcoat and you can do touch ups with a Preval (small disposable) sprayer.

It looks like you have a small break near the rubrail. The yellow in the picture looks like the foam. You should patch that before you use it because you don't want water in your foam. The foam can get saturated though and the boat will still float. The rubrail looks good and it you have to remove it for repairs try to reuse it. Mine had paint sloshed on it so it had to go. They are about $189 on eBay but you can get them from the original manufacturer for about $125. The norman pin you have is bronze. It will take a nice shine if you polish it. They only sell them in imported stainless these days.

If you end up doing any fiberglass repairs, get the West System. They have tons of videos on YouTube. It's epoxy and very easy to handle. I usually get most of my materials from http://JamestownDistributors.com. They are cheaper than West Marine. If you sign up for emails with them they'll constantly send you free shipping codes.

One thought I had is I hope you take the Evinrude off and store it indoors. They are very easy to steal. It's a nice motor and it's impossible to get new 2 stroke motors in the U.S. I hope to see more of your boat once you have time to work on it.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, nice lil boat and trailer package! Congratz!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Looks like a sweet little boat... I never knew whaler made a sailing dinghy...
that little evinrude is a great motor my Grandpa had one for his boat and it was indestructible... they are very pop. with thieves so make sure you get a chain and lock to secure it to the boat and take it off the boat and store it in the house or locked in the shed when she's not in the water.
Don't forget all the USCG safety gear when you go out to sea... a small portable Marine VHF radio would be a good idea too... it may save your life... having access to wx reports and other sailors to call for help...
Remember the Chesapeake is connected to the ocean and a lot of heavy ship traffic runs up and down to Baltimore et al and they don't always keep the best look out for small vessels so even though you legally have the right of way [when under sail] stay the heck away from them lol...
Old 10-23-2012, 04:40 PM

parts!

double ratchet

and lighting

Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Just how heavy is that dinghy Ian? that ratchet looks like you could pull the Queen Mary lol...

You're going to have to add a hitch to the back of the love shack and practice hauling a B-train.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:33 PM

the boat should only weigh 150 fully loaded, but that's one of the smaller winches at 1100lbs.

and the launch points are close to home, so no need to pitch a tent anywhere else
Old 10-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by irab88
the boat should only weigh 150 fully loaded, but that's one of the smaller winches at 1100lbs.

and the launch points are close to home, so no need to pitch a tent anywhere else
except when you want to go on vacation to florida... or that wacky Spring break reservoir in az? nm? yk the one I mean...
Old 10-24-2012, 05:26 PM

lake havasu. yeah, that won't happen until i at least get some vacation hours, heh.

some things i'll need within the next week-ish: temporary garage, at least for this coming winter. things to get before water-time: handheld gps & marine radio, pfd's, and maybe some emergency things
Old 10-26-2012, 05:57 PM

so this hybrid-franken-storm won't let me put up a temporary garage, so a tarp will have to do for now.

and some nice ebay finds:

and the parts diagrams:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: irab88's Sailboat and Trailer Build-Up Thread