Motorcycles Motorcycles of any kind including ATVs

new to me dual sport 250

Old 08-13-2014, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new to me dual sport 250

so my buddy went ahead and bought an 87 honda XL250, 6k original miles, and paid 1400. runs strong. however, he knows the situation I'm in, and since he is in Afghanistan, gave me the bike and said if I like it, then pay him back, but if i don't, then he'll take it.

so i got it registered, got my M1, and it runs great. im just wondering about a couple things... whats some things i should watch out for this model?

i was going to ask if it was possible to upgrade the headlight to a Xenon light or something... but then remembered this is YT, where the impossible is made possible.... i remember the truck that someone rebuilt the frame using metal fence post material...

and the tires that are on it, they're kenda trak master 80/100-21 51m k-760. they're knobbies.... but seem to handle the street decently. what kind of air pressure should i be running in them? and how long should i expect out of them, on average? and would I be better off getting street tires like some pirelli's or michellins or something?
Old 01-27-2015, 07:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you upgrade the lighting you'll have to upgrade the stator for the extra load. Plus the stock units are known to leave you stranded in the worst possible spot. Only downfall of the mighty XR is the stator. I suggest the Ricky Stator upgrade. Not too expensive and a great unit. The will be great if you upgrade the stator and run a 65w h4 depending on what the head light unit is. If you go to any HID/LED or anything you'll have to convert the bike to DC with a rectifier/regulator and a battery pack or compassator.

As for the tires kenda Moto tires aren't known for durability or longevity. If you're only riding on the street on occasion I suggest maxxxis desert IT or Dunlop d606. If they have to be DOT I like motOZ tractionator H/T. the lugs are tightly spaced and a good compound. Have them on my plated XR600R and they're amazing. I normally only run off-road use only knobbies but these are amazing in the dirt and street. Hope this helps.