Motorcycles Motorcycles of any kind including ATVs

Motorcycle Helmet Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motorcycle Helmet Recommendations?

Like the title says.

I'm purchasing my first bike next week, a 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 800, and wanted to know what riders out there liked by the way of helmets. I know my head isn't something to be cheap about, though I don't really think I need to spend $400 to protect myself. I need to buy a good jacket too, and I m wondering if I can get protection comparable to leather with the newer padded textile units. Thanks in advance.

Andy.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:53 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I rode for years but quit due to safety on the road and having a family but I always bought the best helmet I could afford. My uncle had a motorcycle shop and sold Kawasakis and Harleys here in Tuscaloosa before Harleys went crazy expensive, and he had a sign on the wall.

"If you have a ten dollar head buy a ten dollar helmet."

I had a Bell full face Moto 3.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:19 AM

Arai helments are the best in my opinion, but $$

HJC are really comfortable Go Elbowz

Scorpion <-- I have never had one on but Mat Mladin wears one in AMA Superbike

all three make full face helmets to "cruiser" style helmets but whatever you do don't go really cheap...you only have one head!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Get a good hjc that is comfortable and that will be the best bank for the buck. Arai and Shoei are good helmets but they are more like luxery or performance helmets. Ligher then most hjc and at one time were way better. But some of the high end hjc are getting close. I hate arais simply because they do not fit my head. People with smaller heads seem to like arai. I prefer Shoei. At leas that was my experience from the five years I worked at a bike shop. Fun fact- there was a study done a few years back that said you were better of getting a helmet rated at lower speed because it has softer foam in it. Reason being because if you get into a wreck at 150 plus or heck even 80 to 90 regardless if you are wearing a helmet you FUBARED.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:52 AM

Safety gear is nothing you want to skimp on man.. Pavement is a gigantic body sander.. As far as my reccomendations.. HJC makes an affordable well constructed helmet.. As far as leather or textile.. Its my understanding that leather offers more protection than textile jackets. What ever you purchase make sure it has some built in padding in case you tumble down the street... Watch out for "cagers" and gravel.. keep the shiny side up.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELMET LAWS SUCK!

i like arai.
very comfortable and many models have vents to allow cool air in.

Last edited by surf4runner; 08-26-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:51 AM

This is what I wear and Love it

Best helmet I've owned so far.

Dual Visors (inside one is tinted, Almost like a fighter pilots heads up display Need rocket switches on my bike)
This way you don't need a tinted visor for day and another for night.

Remember those old Air Jordon Nike Shoe's with the Pump to increase the pressure inside the shoe, This has one for the helmet.. Pump it up to fit your face nice and snug. Theres a round thing you press to add air under that flap

Last edited by 4Hummer; 08-26-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
This is what I wear and Love it

Best helmet I've owned so far.

Dual Visors (inside one is tinted, Almost like a fighter pilots heads up display Need rocket switches on my bike)
This way you don't need a tinted visor for day and another for night.

Remember those old Air Jordon Nike Shoe's with the Pump to increase the pressure inside the shoe, This has one for the helmet.. Pump it up to fit your face nice and snug. Theres a round thing you press to add air under that flap
That is a pretty sick helmet....fighter pilot helmets only have one piece of glass actually, just a tinted one. You either have that or nothing.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by AndYota
I know my head isn't something to be cheap about, though I don't really think I need to spend $400 to protect myself.
you just went washy here. Your head is the last place you want to skimp. As stated above, buy the best helmet you can afford. And I paid 300 for a mid-level helmet, is 100 bucks a huge difference.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Hayes
you just went washy here. Your head is the last place you want to skimp. As stated above, buy the best helmet you can afford. And I paid 300 for a mid-level helmet, is 100 bucks a huge difference.
and i will definitely not skimp on the protection. I don't trust local drivers at all. Thanks for the tips, now all I have to do is try on a bunch and decide which fits my slightly huge melon.

Andy

Last edited by AndYota; 08-26-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:47 PM

i wear a fulmer modular. ill never buy another fulmer. a good but reasonbly priced helmet is a GMAX. one from their line will be my next helmet.

check www.leatherup.com for jackets, they have some good prices.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

Arai full face.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by toddowaddo
Arai full face.
What he said....best helmet made IMO.
There was a time when Arai was the only manufacturer making helmets shaped for the American head,hence the unparalleled comfort,while other MFG's were making helmets shaped for the Asian head.
We have very different skull shapes.

Look at the back of the helmet youre interested in and make sure there is a SNELL sticker there.
All helmets have the DOT sticker but not the SNELL sticker.

Manufacturers submit a helmet to DOT to test and if it passes they can make millions of them.

SNELL actually takes random helmets off the retailers shelf for testing and has the most comprehensive tests there are.
There is a factor of helmet safety consistancy with snell rated helmets whereas the dot ones could be anything.

Ive been down at 140+ (highsided)and am still alive due to my Arai.
I wouldnt wear anything else.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:02 AM

Arai helmets are the best period.... Still find one that fits your head the best.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

I ended up getting an Icon Mainframe. Got the XXL, fits fine, but I must have a hot head because I have to keep the visor open a click unless I'm on the highway. I also Have a Bell half helmet that I like much better around town. Next I think I'll get a 3/4 (open face) and goggles to go with the bobber better.

Big fun!
Andy
Old 02-16-2010, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Ive been riding since I was 10, street & track since I was 16. I swear by Shoei helmets, I wore an RF800 for years, then an RF900 for a few, I bought an RF100 Szoke Replica online in a Medium thinking it would fit since my old RF series fit perfectly, I was wrong!! They cut them a little tight in the forehead, I sold it on Ebay with a new dark sheild and lost ALOT of $$... went to the dealership to try on new lids, the new RF1100 in a Med. fit PERFECTLY... Arai helmets are nice but you get the same quality out of a Shoei for an average of $100 less. Icon helmets are good as well.. Steer clear of HJC, KYB, BELL etc.. They will protect your head but are uncomfortable, LOUD and the hinges and padding break down very quickly. Your best bet is to go try them all on, get your head properly measured and make sure the person fitting you knows what he / she is doing, Ive seen many guys at the track with helmets that are too loose, then some on the street that are too tight or small, their cheeks are all smashed and their noses on the chin bar, not good!!! No 2 will fit the same, if you buy Arai, Shoei or Icon etc. you will be able to find a sheild in a year that will fit, other brands often discontinue things quickly... I have an HJC dual sport helmet that serves its purpose but I think their helmets are poorly made in comparison... Just my .02!
Old 02-16-2010, 06:22 AM

This question can be answered differently for just about everyone...it really depends on what shape your head is. I have tried allot of different helmets and settled on Shoei (RF-900 was my first) and HJC for the shape of my nugget. I have worn ICON and it did it's job when I went down at 70+ but it always pressed on my cro-magnon forehead. For street use, I presently wear a Shoei RF-1000 when I ride my FJR.....I love that helmet. I also have an HJC CL-15 for my scooter. I have heard great reviews of the new RF-1100 but have not been able to try one out yet.

the Wabbit is right....how much is your head worth?

Old 04-10-2011, 07:56 PM

Id have to say a Scorpion helmet. For a low priced helmet that is very comfortable they do pretty well.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:26 PM

I really like my Shoei. I tried on a ton of helmets, and the Shoei just seemed to fit the best. Now that I've ridden with it for a few years, it would take an outstanding helmet to get me to switch.

That said, Shark has some great helmets out there and was a near second for me.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:25 PM

You should go grab a pair of gloves, trust me you don't want to go down with out them. Remember, sweat can be replaced, skin can't.
A.T.G.A.T.T.
All the gear all the time.

Okay, that's enough of a rant from me.

Check out SportBikeTrackGear.com, they are awesome guys! Real honest and legit, watch their youtube videos. I only buy my gear from them. Just check it out.

Last edited by Diablo22RE; 05-01-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: forgot to recommend my favorite gear site

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Helmet Recommendations?