Motorcycles Motorcycles of any kind including ATVs

Motorcycle class

Old 11-10-2003, 04:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motorcycle class

I had my first classroom and riding portion (2 classes) of this 4 class course.

Wow, I didn't realize that bikes were so fun! I have to say that if anyone's considering these courses you should definitely go for it! They teach at the beginning level and proceed slowly enough to make sure that everyone can learn - step by step.

I don't know about the rest of the country but in CA, you can take these courses in leiu of the "lollipop" test at the DMV. If you're under 21 the course is $75. If you're over 21 it jumps to a little over $200.

Very COOL!
Old 11-10-2003, 05:46 PM

I wanted to take one of those classes here! is it called ABATE? I forget what that acronym stands for, but it's only 75$ here regardless of age! I want a Harley REAL bad!
Old 11-10-2003, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

Shhhhh...I don't have my motorcycle license. Don't tell anyone.

Yeah, I love riding. They really are a blast until you see people that you know die on them. Then it makes you think twice but it still hasn't stopped me. You only live once, right? Although I haven't ridden in a while because my buddy sold his bike.

Have Fun

Old 11-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

It was a very good idea to take a class. It will help you to avoid some of the things that you would normally have to learn the hard way. Plus, most insurance companies will give you a markdown for taking the class. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:28 PM

I did the class and it was really great; not only made me more confident on the bike, but made me a better driver looking out for motorcycles.

I wish everyone would take a class like it - that way the guy who didn't see me, maybe he wouldn't have turn left in front of me and put me in ICU for two weeks, then healing 15 broken bones in rehab for another 3 weeks.

I am what people call one of the "lucky ones" with my accident.

On a side - the scooter I was riding was a '96 Ducati M900 that had a boatload of go-fast parts on it. AWESOME RIDE! My starter bike was a KZ 440

My unsolicited advice: ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET! Saved my life. Leathers of some sort are a good idea - if you can afford them. And always remember: Assume that the driver of that car DOESN'T SEE YOU!
Old 11-10-2003, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took the class, and picked up my license, but have not gotten around to getting a bike yet.

Bruno851's right though... I am a LOT more conscious of motorcycle riders around me now. And a lot more conscious of how inconsiderate most drivers are toward riders!

Scary to watch, but I'm still planning on picking up a used bike to drop a few times for practice!
Old 11-11-2003, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

I talked to a friend of mine last night and he mentioned that someone had some kind of study where kids who got their class M license before their class C ended up being better drivers because the "awareness" training they receive with the "M" translates over when they get their "C"

Very interesting...

I was planning on just taking this course for the certification and also IN CASE I thought I'd want to ride a bike later in life. I found myself searching through Ebay Motors last night looking for a cheap bike

*sigh*
so many toys...
Old 11-11-2003, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by INsr5runner
I wanted to take one of those classes here! is it called ABATE? I forget what that acronym stands for, but it's only 75$ here regardless of age! I want a Harley REAL bad!
GO FOR IT, MAN!!!!

This class is REALLY fun! I'm itching to get back on the bike at the next riding class (even though it's the last one and it's test day!)

The only abbreviation for this class is MSF - motorcycle safety foundation. It's provided by the Pacific Safety Council and is sponsored by the CHP (CA Highway Patrol).

$75 is not that much and the class is definitely worth taking. Find a few buddies that will go and take it as seriously as you. I have to admit I was really intimidated by all the things involved because there are very specific things you need to do with specific hands/feet and sometimes near/at the same time but this course is very thorough and complete and before you know it you're doing it all
Old 11-11-2003, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bruno851
I did the class and it was really great; not only made me more confident on the bike, but made me a better driver looking out for motorcycles.

I wish everyone would take a class like it - that way the guy who didn't see me, maybe he wouldn't have turn left in front of me and put me in ICU for two weeks, then healing 15 broken bones in rehab for another 3 weeks.

I am what people call one of the "lucky ones" with my accident.

On a side - the scooter I was riding was a '96 Ducati M900 that had a boatload of go-fast parts on it. AWESOME RIDE! My starter bike was a KZ 440

My unsolicited advice: ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET! Saved my life. Leathers of some sort are a good idea - if you can afford them. And always remember: Assume that the driver of that car DOESN'T SEE YOU!
Bruno, sorry to hear of your trial. I can't even imagine ICU for two weeks. I hope everything healed in more or less the proper direction and your pain is gone.

One question, though. Did your bike have it's headlight on? No doubt that newer feature really helps visibility. I admit that I once cut off a rider. I never saw him at all, and was shocked when he flew by the passenger's door at high speed, too close for him to brake safely. It was sunset and the sun was in my eyes. I think if his headlight were on, it would've helped. He turned around to "talk" with me, but when I explained that I've been riding on street and trail for over 20 years, he cooled enough to understand what happened. Not an excuse, it's just that even motorcycle-aware car drivers can miss the small silhouette a bike presents approaching head on.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Banned

I bought a $500 beater and tought myself to ride before I took the $25 DMV test to get my M endorsment. Some day i'll take one of those saftey classes. It couldn't hurt, right?

For now i'm bikeless. I have loved the 3 i've owned so far and miss them all. Used bikes are great, practical, cheap transportation and always lots of fun to ride!

1st: '83 Suzuki GS 450E (stolen)
2nd: '86 Kawasaki KLR 250 (stolen)
3rd: '99 Honda XR 650L (sold in Aug. 03)

I may start looking for something in February if the $$$ is there. Probably an XR 400L or a DR400. 650 is too big, 250 4 stroke is not enough.

Happy riding to my fellow bikers!
Old 11-11-2003, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, as the instructors have ALL been saying, safety equipment is most important.

To quote instructor Frank, who sometimes refers to himself in the 3rd person:

"Cherry out your equipment before you cherry out your bike. If Frank gets a super-nice bike and then dies in an accident, Frank wasn't smart"
Old 11-11-2003, 10:47 PM
Contributing Member

Old 11-12-2003, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by BT17R
Did your bike have it's headlight on?
Yeah, it did. It was setup with the light on all the time. I would run the brights during the day. Every now and then someone would flash me, but at least they saw me.

The helmet I worn was an Blue/Bright Yellow AGV - All of my instructors stressed a bright colors helmet - the best of course being a soild white one. A white helmet stands out like a beacon.

Here is a pic of my old scoot.
Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle class-duc2.jpg  
Old 11-12-2003, 03:48 AM

Here are a few more - I really liked this bike!

Enjoy.

Old 11-12-2003, 03:58 AM

oops.

Old 11-12-2003, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Ducati...

drooooooooooooool
Old 11-13-2003, 08:32 AM

I took one of those courses

I must say it's worth it. They drill you and they drill you. Hell I got drilled so much I wanted to walk out. But I didn't: it also didn't help I got a bike that stalled all the time. But after I swapped the bike I was doing much better. Plus it lowers your insurance for a couple of years. But that is a scam, to keep getting that discount you have to take the course again. Well I sold my 2001 Honda Sabre Black, so I am no longer a rider. Would be nice to be able to rent one from to time.

Last edited by Iman74; 11-13-2003 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:20 AM

Go motorcycles!

I took my MSF class about 6 months after I started riding (with a permit) and I'm pissed I didn't take it in the first place. If u start yourself, you'll keep practicing a lot of bad habits...
If you're looking for a starter bike, there's a couple for sale over at www.fzrarchives.com - I have a yamaha fzr 600, great bike to start with. Reliable, as fast as you could want, and relatively inexpensive.
I am a much more alert driver now, although I feel a little silly when I realize I'm leaning into turns in my 4runner
Old 11-13-2003, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by ruizs
I am a much more alert driver now, although I feel a little silly when I realize I'm leaning into turns in my 4runner
Well, at least you are not opening your driver door and sticking you knee out!
Old 11-14-2003, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

Woohoo, I passed!

I wasn't worried about it beforehand - after all, so many people before me passed, right?

Then again, all my riding experience was 5 hours on a ready-to-die-Honda CBR125 or something like that. So there I was this morning, ready to take on those next few exercises and then the test when the bike brakes down.

Hey, no problem - let's get him another bike.
Hey, why don't we get him that new Kawasaki. The one with a friction zone of like 1/3 of the Honda, woohoo!

Turns out that the bike I had been practicing on was such a beater that the clutch was letting me do things that I'm not supposed to. During todays drills on the new bike (9K miles as opposed to the other 89K) I actually stalled out and almost dropped the bike :pat:

The instructor gave me enough time to practice and I got the hang of it (sorta) and am now the proud to-be-owner of a class M1 license

I have to say though... it was kind of blows the mind that you steer right if you want to lean and turn left. Whoa!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motorcycle class