Motorcycles Motorcycles of any kind including ATVs

Looking to buy an ATV, need advice!

Old 03-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking to buy an ATV, need advice!

Well I thought I might be buying a youth quad, but I may have a line on a Polaris Scrambler 400 4x4 for me instead. It is a 400cc 2 stroke motor with touch button 4WD but that is about all I know aboiut it. Anyone have any experience with these or ever owned one?

I was told this was the actual bike:
Old 03-20-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to take a look at the Honda TRX 250EX. It's a four stroke and unlike a
two stroke it requires less maintenance.

http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/sp...elId=TRX250EX6
Old 03-20-2006, 02:53 PM

my boss has 2 03' polaris sportsman 700's and there great. good in mud and trails but also rips on the dunes-no problems so far.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:13 PM

This summer I recently acquired a Yamaha Blaster for a very good price as a repo. The blaster is a RWD 195cc and I was really sceptical having only owned 4 stroke, Honda motorcyles (375cc and an enormous 600cc). I never thought that I would like or want an ATV given the mobility of a motorcyle, and I never thought that the two stroke would have enough power for me (and especially my family members who weigh well over 200lbs which is probably more that the actual machine weighs).

I was wrong on all counts. This yamaha is scary fast...even for my aforementioned family. Also, I thought that it would be worthless in the snow...wrong again. The solid rear axle, as long as you keep your weight over the axle, tears through terrain.

Possible downsides to this particular ATV: Annoyingly loud and obnoxious, but, hey, its a two stroke. Deep snow/deep anything, but once again, driving it like a two stroke i.e. all out, momentum seems to be THE key issue because the damn thing is so light (hidden bonus is that it only weighs about 200lbs so removing it from anything is easy).

So, bottom line: I thought that I would need a four stroke, but this two stroke seems to be enough power. I thought I wouldn't get anywhere without a 4WD, but so far I have only gotten stuck when I high center it.

I am not telling you that you should drop your hopes of your other 'wheeler, but I am telling you about how I was completely wrong with all of MY assumptions about what I needed out of an ATV (i.e. 600cc 4WD).
Old 03-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by STague
This summer I recently acquired a Yamaha Blaster for a very good price as a repo. The blaster is a RWD 195cc and I was really sceptical having only owned 4 stroke, Honda motorcyles (375cc and an enormous 600cc). I never thought that I would like or want an ATV given the mobility of a motorcyle, and I never thought that the two stroke would have enough power for me (and especially my family members who weigh well over 200lbs which is probably more that the actual machine weighs).

I was wrong on all counts. This yamaha is scary fast...even for my aforementioned family. Also, I thought that it would be worthless in the snow...wrong again. The solid rear axle, as long as you keep your weight over the axle, tears through terrain.

Possible downsides to this particular ATV: Annoyingly loud and obnoxious, but, hey, its a two stroke. Deep snow/deep anything, but once again, driving it like a two stroke i.e. all out, momentum seems to be THE key issue because the damn thing is so light (hidden bonus is that it only weighs about 200lbs so removing it from anything is easy).

So, bottom line: I thought that I would need a four stroke, but this two stroke seems to be enough power. I thought I wouldn't get anywhere without a 4WD, but so far I have only gotten stuck when I high center it.

I am not telling you that you should drop your hopes of your other 'wheeler, but I am telling you about how I was completely wrong with all of MY assumptions about what I needed out of an ATV (i.e. 600cc 4WD).
I have never ridden one, but I have seen tons of blasters and banshees for sale where the owner says "must sell, way to fast for my liking". I always thought that was kinda lame but after talking with some people, it might be a little more founded then I thought.

The Scrambler is a 2-stroke 400cc motor so it should be about as powerful as a 600-700cc 4-stroke so that should be a big bonus, but I am worried exactly how loud this will be since I don't want to be riding a quad that is litterally deafening. I'll be able to hear it in a day or two. I like having a quad with 4WD since I will be doing quite a bit of deeper snow or water riding so that is also a big bonus to me.....I am glad to hear you got away with 2WD on yours because your winter conditions should be similar to ours up here. The wheeler is also an auto tranny so that is also a big bonus for me since I am just getting started in the sport.

Keep those comments comming!