Motorcycles Motorcycles of any kind including ATVs

Calling all sportbike owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Calling all sportbike owners

I'm looking at buying a sportbike but i don't know much at all about them. What would be a good bike to buy? (i'm 6'7" by the way). So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a Suzuki GSX-R 750 years ago when the 750's were really popular - it was a great bike.

My next bike will be a Super Sport Touring bike, like the Yamaha FJR1300AE.

Not cheap but by far the most comfortable sport bike I've ever ridden.

My buddy is 6'4" and 275lbs and rides his all over the place.

Fink:devil;
Old 07-09-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fink
I had a Suzuki GSX-R 750 years ago when the 750's were really popular - it was a great bike.

My next bike will be a Super Sport Touring bike, like the Yamaha FJR1300AE.

Not cheap but by far the most comfortable sport bike I've ever ridden.

My buddy is 6'4" and 275lbs and rides his all over the place.

Fink:devil;
I was looking at GSX-R's, nice bikes. How do you feel about Yamaha R6's? I found a bunch of them online for fairly cheap.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gonna say you want at least a R1 or the Busa, being that your 6'7" you need the bigger chassis and motor. My wifes FZR600 is ridiculously small for me.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:16 PM

Might want to think about the FZ1's as well. Quite a bit of performance and much better ergonomics for larger people than the R series. Unless you're racing on a track, the FZ will be more than enough bike for you.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mmmm

To bad if i got one i would kill myself

Old 07-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
I was looking at GSX-R's, nice bikes. How do you feel about Yamaha R6's? I found a bunch of them online for fairly cheap.
R6's are solid bikes and you're right, easy to find - wait until the colder months and you'll get them even cheaper.
Right now it's prime bike season in most areas.

The GSX-R was more comfortable for me - I'm only 6' tall but I'm a very stocky/solid guy, not sure if it will matter for you or not.

I think even the R1 is going to be a little small for you though.

Best thing to do is go to dealership and sit on several bikes...see what you think, see what's comfortable.

You'll also need to establish a budget for yourself - whether you base this off of the bikes that actually fit you or if you'll make yourself fit whatever bike(s) you can afford.

Fink
Old 07-10-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by SoCal4Running
Gonna say you want at least a R1 or the Busa, being that your 6'7" you need the bigger chassis and motor. My wifes FZR600 is ridiculously small for me.
See the thing is thought i dont want to start out on a 1000cc bike. I've never rode a bike before so id like to start out smaller, a 600cc or 750cc bike.

Originally Posted by toyotasaurus
Might want to think about the FZ1's as well. Quite a bit of performance and much better ergonomics for larger people than the R series. Unless you're racing on a track, the FZ will be more than enough bike for you.
I'll have to give the FZ1 a look.

Originally Posted by Fink
R6's are solid bikes and you're right, easy to find - wait until the colder months and you'll get them even cheaper.
Right now it's prime bike season in most areas.

The GSX-R was more comfortable for me - I'm only 6' tall but I'm a very stocky/solid guy, not sure if it will matter for you or not.

I think even the R1 is going to be a little small for you though.

Best thing to do is go to dealership and sit on several bikes...see what you think, see what's comfortable.

You'll also need to establish a budget for yourself - whether you base this off of the bikes that actually fit you or if you'll make yourself fit whatever bike(s) you can afford.

Fink
That's a good idea ill have to go to a few dealerships and see which bikes i like best. And about my budget, i will have around $4,000 to spend. Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:52 PM

I believe the older GSX-R's are bigger than the new ones. When I bought my bike I tried alot of different ones and got a 06 GSXR 600. I could reach the floor without being on my toes which was a nice selling point. Doesn't seem like you're goin to have a problem with that. If you have never ridden before take the motorcycle class it's invaluable.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
See the thing is thought i dont want to start out on a 1000cc bike. I've never rode a bike before so id like to start out smaller, a 600cc or 750cc bike.

I'll have to give the FZ1 a look.

That's a good idea ill have to go to a few dealerships and see which bikes i like best. And about my budget, i will have around $4,000 to spend. Thanks for all the input guys.
Great statement about the bike size and your experience. My first bike was a Katana 600, I got comfortable riding and stepped up to a 2001 Gsxr 600, then my current bike is a gsxr 1000. I'm 6'3" and about 230 and I'm completely comfortable on them, but definitely spend some time sitting on them because all body types fit differently.

Price will definitely determine to a large extent what you can get. But if possible I would shoot for one that is fuel injected. Any gsxr after 2001 will be fuel injected, R6 was a few years later iirc.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by 90RunnerRed
Great statement about the bike size and your experience. My first bike was a Katana 600, I got comfortable riding and stepped up to a 2001 Gsxr 600, then my current bike is a gsxr 1000. I'm 6'3" and about 230 and I'm completely comfortable on them, but definitely spend some time sitting on them because all body types fit differently.

Price will definitely determine to a large extent what you can get. But if possible I would shoot for one that is fuel injected. Any gsxr after 2001 will be fuel injected, R6 was a few years later iirc.

That's good info. Thank you for that.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:49 AM

Don't be swayed by people saying that the 1000's are "larger" than the 600's. I've had 12 bikes ranging from a 01 R6 - Busa and everything in between. The motor is larger yess, and some of the 1000's are a tad wider, however the seating position and distance between the pegs/set/clipons are nearly identical if not the same on them.

My suggestion would be to get what you like, then put on a set of aftermarket adjustable rearsets. The rearsets are going to be what makes a bike feel "too small" for a tall guy as you will have tall legs and feel awkward on a bike with stock rearsets.

So get a bike that you like the feel as far as the seat/bars and don't judge too much by where the pegs are and get a set of aftermarket clip ons.

The older GSXR's are the larger of the bikes and you would probably look and feel more natural on a 01-03 GSXR 600 in my opinion, however the GSXR's have some of the most aggresive riding positions (high pegs/low bars), but like I said, with a set of adjustable rearsets this will drastically help out.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Not7fifteen
Don't be swayed by people saying that the 1000's are "larger" than the 600's. I've had 12 bikes ranging from a 01 R6 - Busa and everything in between. The motor is larger yess, and some of the 1000's are a tad wider, however the seating position and distance between the pegs/set/clipons are nearly identical if not the same on them.

My suggestion would be to get what you like, then put on a set of aftermarket adjustable rearsets. The rearsets are going to be what makes a bike feel "too small" for a tall guy as you will have tall legs and feel awkward on a bike with stock rearsets.

So get a bike that you like the feel as far as the seat/bars and don't judge too much by where the pegs are and get a set of aftermarket clip ons.

The older GSXR's are the larger of the bikes and you would probably look and feel more natural on a 01-03 GSXR 600 in my opinion, however the GSXR's have some of the most aggresive riding positions (high pegs/low bars), but like I said, with a set of adjustable rearsets this will drastically help out.

That's good information. I sat on a couple bikes and the GSXR 600's felt the best to me. Now it's time to sell my car and get some cash!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:53 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Not7fifteen has it right. At 6'7" no bike is going to be set up right, hell i'm 5'8" and i have never sat on a factory bike and felt right. Sitting on bikes at the dealer will get you closer, but unfortunately until you log some saddle time, a comfortable bike in the showroom may not be after 50 miles. Rearsets and Clipons(bling) will help change that issue.
If you haven't already take a motorcycle safety class, it will lower your insurance and is great practice.
Also, buy the bike (engine size) you want. You will quickly out grow a smaller cc engine if you have always wanted a 1000. With that said, don't be fooled by bigger engine is better, they are all super fast, and most new 600ccs make more horsepower then older larger cc engines.
Another consideration is power delivery, if you want to go fast straight, get an inline 4, if you want to carve the twisties, look into twins(or even triples), parallel or Vs. These bikes won't have the same overall HP, but the fun factor is amplified because you aren't so tied to high revs entering corners(i have the most fun between 30-80mph)...plus i am bias cuz i love my Monster(803cc v-twin).

Get out and ride as many different bikes as you can, take the course and start doing test rides. A bike is part fashion statement, part ego, get the bike you picture yourself on just be ready to drop some coin on making it comfortable and safe.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by RBX
Not7fifteen has it right. At 6'7" no bike is going to be set up right, hell i'm 5'8" and i have never sat on a factory bike and felt right. Sitting on bikes at the dealer will get you closer, but unfortunately until you log some saddle time, a comfortable bike in the showroom may not be after 50 miles. Rearsets and Clipons(bling) will help change that issue.
If you haven't already take a motorcycle safety class, it will lower your insurance and is great practice.
Also, buy the bike (engine size) you want. You will quickly out grow a smaller cc engine if you have always wanted a 1000. With that said, don't be fooled by bigger engine is better, they are all super fast, and most new 600ccs make more horsepower then older larger cc engines.
Another consideration is power delivery, if you want to go fast straight, get an inline 4, if you want to carve the twisties, look into twins(or even triples), parallel or Vs. These bikes won't have the same overall HP, but the fun factor is amplified because you aren't so tied to high revs entering corners(i have the most fun between 30-80mph)...plus i am bias cuz i love my Monster(803cc v-twin).

Get out and ride as many different bikes as you can, take the course and start doing test rides. A bike is part fashion statement, part ego, get the bike you picture yourself on just be ready to drop some coin on making it comfortable and safe.

That's excellent advice. I guess i need to do some more research into what kind of engine i want in a bike. I also need to sit on a few more bikes and get a feel for what will be most comfortable.

And i am currently in a bike safety class, so i have that covered!
Old 08-02-2010, 02:58 PM

That safety class is very smart, plus you get an insurance break when you go to get coverage!
Old 08-02-2010, 03:03 PM

One real fun larger bike not to overlook are the TL1000R's they have a ton of low end grunt that will help a larger rider. Plus they are larger, can be had very cheap, and sound amazing. They have a lot of low end power thats very usable and don't need to be revved to the sky, plus aren't wicked up top like a 4cyl 1000 so it shouldn't get you into too much trouble.
I had one that I sold to a friend who was 6'6" and he liked it a lot.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal4Running
this is horrible advice. telling a new rider to get an R1 is trouble in the making, plus the seating position are not going to fit someone who is 6'7" regardless of the size of the bike..

if you want a good bike that you will not "outgrow" as you get more comfortable with riding look into the Suzuki SV series. the 650's are not the most powerful but the 1000's are pretty good and the frames are pretty good as is the suspension. plus they have all the aftermarket support you will want. try to stay away from the S version, the clip ons (low mounted handle bars) and high mounted rearsets (foot pegs) will be hell on your body.

but most important take your MSF course and make sure you study all the info you can about riding technique. you should also see if you can ride around on a friends bike to make sure you actually like having to deal with owning a motorcycle. it will be more work then your truck by far..
Old 08-02-2010, 03:24 PM

oh yea, make sure you sit on the bike for at least 3 days before you buy it. you will slowly start to pick out all the things that you don't like and will eventually lead to a much more satisfying choice.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:26 PM

Yeah ill really have to be picky in my bike choice.

Quick Reply: Calling all sportbike owners