Cycling Mountain biking, road biking, any type of pedal powered biking

Hardtail or Softail?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Hardtail or Softail?

And why? I've been looking about getting back into cycling. strictly for recreational reasons, since i've gained a bit of girth since school ended. but I've always ridden a hardtail and always here mixed reviews and that its "personal preference" as to whats more "your style."

Like i mentioned above this is strictly recreational while being able to take it camping ( so offroad is a must ) Im not looking to compete, or anything extreme downhill racing, or whatever.

So with THAT being said. I have my eyes on a 2012 Specialized Hardrock 29er sport disc. ( I saw one in the local bike shop and it matched my 4Runner's paint exactly. not that I care, i just want something practical and functional ) it is a hardtail ( as all hardrocks are ) and i've read reviews here and there, and no one has said any complaints, and its relatively cheap which makes it an even bigger plus.

But should I stay away from new, go towards something used and buy a full suspension bike? or should I stick with a hard tail. I've been told to stay what im most comfortable/controlling with and that is definitely a hard tail. but part of me says I should try something new.

Anyways, What do you guys think?

Should I pass on this bike and go towards something used?

And

Should I go with a hardtail or full suspension?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not an expert by any means...but I love mountain biking and always bum a test ride on my buddy's nicer bikes. If you've got the money, you can't beat a full-susp with a lock out on the rear shock. That's big bucks though...I have a hardtail. It's an old Ironhorse frame I found on craigslist for 30 bucks, built it up with high-end components off ebay. I've ridden some intermediate-expert trails and never really felt limited by the lack of a rear shock. I guess if you were jumping it a lot (I don't) it'd be a lot more comfortable. I also picked up a Canecreek Thudbuster seat post that kinda acts like a cheap rear shock...kinda....
Old 09-07-2011, 07:12 PM

PS....29ers are BA
Old 09-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Sometimes you can get a really nice bike for cheap from someone who thought they'd ride but didn't. Just stay away from an avid rider's junk, too used up.

My husband loves his Ellsworth Truth but gimme my old hardtail any day. Better to ride on the road/fast trails with, one less shock to have rebuilt and mine hasn't broken yet (he's had 3 breaks on his FS, frame and rear triangle). He still grabs his Canondale hardtail for fast trail days. That said, I may replace my 13 year old bike with something FS in the next couple decades. Maybe.

Any way you can test ride some bikes? What kind of trails are you mostly going to ride?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by rhill
PS....29ers are BA
just out of curiosity, what makes you say that?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by habanero
Sometimes you can get a really nice bike for cheap from someone who thought they'd ride but didn't. Just stay away from an avid rider's junk, too used up.

My husband loves his Ellsworth Truth but gimme my old hardtail any day. Better to ride on the road/fast trails with, one less shock to have rebuilt and mine hasn't broken yet (he's had 3 breaks on his FS, frame and rear triangle). He still grabs his Canondale hardtail for fast trail days. That said, I may replace my 13 year old bike with something FS in the next couple decades. Maybe.

Any way you can test ride some bikes? What kind of trails are you mostly going to ride?
I would rather just buy something "new". not that i have a problem with it being used, Im going to be using this bicycle to pretty much do anything... work is literally down the street, as is the grocery store. I already have a 9.11 tactical backpack that is going to get some use as well.

but like i mentioned before, I want this to be able to be used for recreational and occasionally going camping. Nothing crazy ( as i dont want to break things ) so no BMX jumping. A lot of the trails in Roseville ( where i live ) are paved and go for hours/miles. But theres some in granite bay ( about 10 minutes from me ) that are pretty fun... weaving in and out of trees, quick turns, etc etc... you're typical offroad bicycling trail.

So would the 2012 Specialized hardrock 29er sport disc be efficient for this? or should I go with something else?'

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

This is the bike im thinking of getting, except the gray/white/silver one.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
just out of curiosity, what makes you say that?
Those 29s will roll over anything you put in front of em. They also feel more stable (to me) going down hill and over obstacles. Imagine mud bogging in 31s vs 38s. Wouldn't you rather have the 38s?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:05 PM

Thats how I always figured it. Thanks, man. I think im thoroughly convinced on what I want.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:48 PM

I'm sure that Specialized will serve you well. They've been around forever and have a great rep...as I'm sure you know. Take pics if and when you get it There's a lot of great trails over in Santa Cruz if you're ever over there...it's like MTB utopia.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:39 AM

I definitely will, I wont be getting a bike until sometime after september though. 4Runner legality ( passing smog ) and the new floor in the house needs to go in first. I definitely want the gray/silver/white one though, it matches the 4Runner nicely.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:52 PM

So I went and visited the local bike shop to ask a few questions and low and behold... the EXACT bike was there. Large size, gray/silver/white 2012 specialized 29er sport disc... I rode it around and got a feel for it. its exactly what im looking for. The shifters are nice and smooth, the shocks are nice and springy, and they have lockouts on the front. All I would expect from a 2012 bike.

I was really impressed with the shifters and the lockouts on the front shocks. Im only used to riding a really old bike and havent kept up with the whole lingo. but After pismo, Im definitely going to be getting one.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Well mate. There are pro's and con's too full suspension and hard-tails. As you know Mike, I ride often and own a K2 Proflex 4500 full suspension mountain bike.

I have also ridden hard-tails in the past. My choice was made with the over all comfort of the full suspension.

By comfort I am not just speaking of the smoother ride. When riding for a day or even a good number of hours. Your body takes a beating from the jarring. No different from Wheeling over tough terrain. With a hard-tail your body takes the shock of every bump, landing and rock on the trail. At the end of the day or the next morning. Your legs, back and shoulders tell you that you were riding a hard-tail.

There are two main Con's that I do know fallow the choice of full suspension. Con #1, Riding off-road with full suspension takes some getting used to. The bike does not keep the same constant traction too the ground the same way a hard-tail does. You must learn to ride with a smooth peddling action over uneven terrain. You do not want the frame to bounce through the suspension cycle in opposition to the terrain you are traveling on. This can cause you to loose traction and or loose your forward momentum and stall. Both will cause you to fall off. Even worse, is if your using clip less peddles as I do, it can make for some tricky situations. Con #2, full suspension will absorb some of the energy you put into peddling. In other words, you do not move forward the same distance as you would when using a hard-tail. I know this personally. I have experienced this many times on and off-road. So with full suspension, you will need to peddle a little more too cover the same distance as a hard-tail. Again, a smooth peddling action will reduce this energy lose, but the energy lose will always be present.

I also use the same mountain bike for on road use. Not only do I have a set of off-road tires and rims. I also have 650c road bike rims with 18c tires that I swap too when riding the American River Bike trail, or when riding 17 miles round trip to work. Again in my opinion, the comfort out weighs the energy lose. Working with 24 speeds on tap, I am usually running the 2nd sprocket for the front derailleur and 8th sprocket rear derailleur during on road use. That puts me on average of 20mpg over 9miles. I am not even in top gear to be worried about the energy lose. Plus with my road bike set up, the bike rides like a porsche on a track.

I hope this helps explain my choice and the consideration you must make during your decision. If you would like to feel what full suspension is like. give me a call so you can try out my bike. You will notice what I was describing above vary quickly.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:45 PM

Keith - I rode on a full suspension the other day and it felt unstable... maybe thats the "getting used to" that you're talking about?

I rode the 29er and felt like it could pretty much "roll up anything" If need be and if i really get into it, two bikes it is. haha
Old 10-03-2011, 07:20 PM

I have both a hardtail (trek paragon 29er) and a fs (gary fisher cake 3) and I never ride the fs anymore. A fs is great for bombin down hills but it loses too much power and traction (think ifs vs solid axel) without a lock out and even if they have one the extra money isn't worth it imo. If you get a steel frame it will be a little more forgiving with fairly minimal weight gain and the bigger wheels on a 29er seem to help and they make it easier to climb (plus they look dope!). Go ride a few different brands too so you can feel the difference between the frame geometry it can make a big difference in the stability and turning response. And if you don't mind doing a little self assembly check out motobecane they are great for the money my buddy has one that rides just as nice as my paragon and he spent about half what I did. Have fun and post some pics of whatever you buy.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:40 AM

the 4runner is needing a clutch first... so im gonna definitely buy that and a new shifter seat and pop it in. Then the bike will be introduced to the 4Runnner
Old 10-04-2011, 07:41 AM

glad to see that you have your priorities straight!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by blackdog314
glad to see that you have your priorities straight!
house > 4runner > bike
Old 10-05-2011, 01:13 AM

when i was young i rode 24" robinsons and redlines. now that im old and fat, i picked up an SE big ripper!!! love this bike.

single speed, 29er, looptail, and it hauls!!

was never a fan of suspension bikes, but i always rode pavement or beaten trails. love the predictability of the rigid frame and ill never downsize from 29 again.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:37 AM

The more i hear that people love the 29er the more I wanna just go over there right now and buy it... but I know I need a clutch... so that'll be coming first.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:53 PM

Hey guys, For starters I am a newb to Toyota's but an avid biker. Kinda exited to see this subject floating around! Hopefully someone is still interested in the thread.

Hardtail VS. Soft is a hot topic in Michigan lately. In da U.P. they're is world class trails (visited by the Trek D.H. team and a few of the cross country guys) but in the lower peninsula, we have...Trails. Mostly short sporadic trails with violent elevation changes. Nothing to brag about, unless you enjoy uphill sprints. But in the lower peninsula's case, A full suspension bike is almost useless, without the help of a rear lockout shock. Hardtail is king! And with the 29er boom, rigid frame bikes are becoming very common for hardcore trail riders and commuters alike.

I'm all for FS bikes, simply because can handle the abuse I dish out. But having never ridden a 29er, I may have my head in the sand about the hole thing. Bigger wheels are a new trend, new trends mean change, change is scary...

Thats my take on the thang

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hardtail or Softail?