Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

wrangler duratrac

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 05:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So any updates folks? I ask because I found some 31's here for 153$.

Sams club.
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=426651
Old 08-11-2009, 10:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I keep hearing about a weak sidewall... not going to be a problem with the loadE 235/85r16s, but might be with 31x10.5r15 Cs
Old 09-08-2009, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really want to get some of these on my 93 runner. keep updating the reviews!
Old 09-08-2009, 09:38 PM
ESQ

I've had them a few weeks now and love them. Quiet as passenger tires on the road. Need to get my skids back on and I'll give an off road report. They grabbed well when I was driving through a loose dirt/mud construction site. One tire ate a 1.25 in screw all the way to the head and didn't puncture.

The load E rated tires have 3 ply poly sidewalls; 2 nylon, 2 steel, and 2 poly on the tread.

I found tirerack to be the best price for my size when you include shipping.

They fit a bit big, i find. I had to space my front wheels out 0.25in each side b/c the 285s will rub the frame slightly at full lock.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:14 PM

i like the way they look i saw some at my local wal mart 31 by 10.5 15 for 130 a piece would of got them but i got the bfg mudders for 84 instead
Old 09-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

I'm still on the fence between the Duratracs or another set of Nittos which have treated me well on and off road over the last 4 years and 45k miles.
I really like the agressive look of the GYs and look like they'd be solild in the wet stuff but the soft sidewall comments are a concern. I even read a review of them being "like rolling on basketballs".
I drive a bit agressive and corner hard and soft sidewalls will really show and this could be remedied with the E load rated version but the cost goes up quite a bit over just getting another set of D load rated Nittos which are $6 cheaper per tire than the C rated GYs.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:40 AM
ESQ

Well, the Nitto descriptions and specs don't even mention snow. And you are from CO... so why would you even consider them? Unless you have a dedicated snow set...
Old 09-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

Uh,I actually have been driving on a set of TGs for the last 4 winters here (as stated in my above post) and no issues whatsover and I've thought about trying something new but I'm alittle nervous switching when I've had good results from the Nittos whether snow was mentioned in the specs or description or not. I originally got the Nittos recommended back in '04 by several people in various states when the tire was relatively new and I took a chance and was pleasantly surprised.

The BFGs even come with the overated snowflake symbol and IMO experiences with both tires I'd take the Nittos over the BFGs in the snow anyday.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:46 PM
ESQ

I figure if they actually measured up to the snowflake standards, then Nitto would go for the rating. But they have almost no siping. How many snow tires do you see without craploads of siping? But if they work for you, go for it. For where I live and for what I do, I won't even look at a tire manufacturer that doesn't seem to care about snow.

The Duratracs seem to be a nice tire for mixed compact/deep snow as they have the big lugs to clear the deep stuff and have the soft compound, the siping, and AT centre tread to deal with the compact. Time will tell on how they wear, but I'd rather avoid an accident than get another 10k out of a set of tires anyday.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:21 PM
ESQ

Had the duratracs out the other day on a deactivated muddy FSR off the coquihalla summit with some creek crossings where the bridges were removed. Very impressed! Without lockers, managed to crawl up big old wet logs onto the mudbanks that the bridges used to sit on. They grabbed really well on the steep slippery mud, too. Can't wait to play in the snow with them, now.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:02 AM

I have a set ordered in 31X10.50. My big dilemma is whether or not to stud them. I live about 20 miles south of the canadian boarder and do a lot of winter driving. I also deer hunt in the Maine and Vermont mountains and drive snowy log roads extensively.

But I commute to NY across the lake daily and put about 80 miles of paved road driving on my truck round trip each day. My worry with studs is that they'll just get chewed up on the pavement and wear the tires quicker. Also - I'll have to throw on the BFGs again in the summer and I anticipate being emotionally attached to the duractracs and not want to take them off.

I guess I could also run chains when needed. Anyone have experience with running studs on an aggressive tire? Anyone have experience running chains?
Old 11-05-2009, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ESQ
I figure if they actually measured up to the snowflake standards, then Nitto would go for the rating. But they have almost no siping. How many snow tires do you see without craploads of siping?
Look pretty well siped to me.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:49 PM
ESQ

I was thinking of the Trail Grapplers, not the Terra Grapplers. Yeah, those Terras are fairly well siped, but those look like wet/water tread design. Again, they don't even mention snow on their descriptions.

The characteristics of the rubber at low temps are very important, too and if they don't bring up snow and winter use, then one has to assume they aren't going to be designed well for it.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah,being up in Canada colder temps and hard rubber would be more of an issue but in Colorado we rarely even see below 0 temps and the Nittos did quite well on dry and wet pavement. I thought my Nittos were a solid all around tire for a daily driver that does actually see off road trails more than just a few times a year.

I hope my Duratracs treat me as well as the TGs did and so far I'm impressed but the dry grip was a tad better with the Nittos which is due to smaller tread blocks but the GYs aren't bad.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:39 PM
ESQ

I've been pretty impressed on the rocks and mud so far. I don't really push it on the pavement, but no complaints so far. Snow is coming! Might head up Baker or Duffey lake pass for some early season rock or glacier skiing and try 'em out.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Just got the truck cleaned up after last week's snowstorm and tomorrow I hope to finish detailing the flares and finishing painting my cewntercaps.
The Duratracs do look beefy and I actually get comments on them from other truck owners wanting to know more about them.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:40 PM
ESQ

She's almost toooo purdy
Old 11-19-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Ooooh, oooh I wanna play too! After seeing this thread and pics of them mounted on you guys' Yota's, I just couldn't resist the temptation...

These are 285/75/16s at stock height on an '02 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser.
Attached Thumbnails wrangler duratrac-duratrac1.jpg   wrangler duratrac-duratrac3.2.jpg  
Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

The Duratracs look great up at Red Rocks too.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:15 PM
ESQ

I love this tire!
After the big storms here the last two weeks, I give extreme wet, deep snow and compact snow performance a big

The truck is in the background. Backcountry skiing near Mt. Baker.

Quick Reply: wrangler duratrac