Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Preparing to Sell - Need new tires, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preparing to Sell - Need new tires, what would you do?

Picked up a really clean 89 Pickup last year with about 170k miles, southern car no rust, had some issues that I'm finally getting around to resolving. I need to sell it soon as I don't have space to keep it sadly. I'm about to throw a new alternator in, and to resolve the CEL caused by knock sensor, I might do the Chevy s10 knock sensor trick. Open to suggestions here too.

The tires the truck came on were already on their way out. They've deflated and sat that way for quite some time (Rough year on my end, should have put it on stands, I know). The truck has a 3 inch body lift, and came on 33 inch tires. I don't want to spend a ton of money on great tires that I will lose money on when I sell.

What would you guys do? Should I just post the truck and ask the seller which tires he'd like and try to work something out?
Old 11-22-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If it was me I would sell it with the tires you have now .

Since money is tight

If I am selling a 4x4 with good tires the price goes up $1000.00 (ball park number) A buyer wants good or new tires let them pay for them.

As long as they hold air and no more then one layer of cords is showing there you go.

As I can always use the tires myself
Old 11-22-2016, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
If it was me I would sell it with the tires you have now .

Since money is tight

If I am selling a 4x4 with good tires the price goes up $1000.00 (ball park number) A buyer wants good or new tires let them pay for them.

As long as they hold air and no more then one layer of cords is showing there you go.

As I can always use the tires myself
These tires are completely done, basically ripped at this point. This was a really big mistake on my end to let them get like this. Other than that, the trucks been sitting for a while, but with a little bit of love (and tires) this thing should be a champ.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look into some take-off tires and wheels from a newer model. I got these 16s for $350 but there are better deals than that out there on craigslist or other sites. These had 2000 miles on them.
Attached Thumbnails Preparing to Sell - Need new tires, what would you do?-10-15-iphone-new-photos-024.jpg  
Old 11-23-2016, 11:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Quite a few times I brought mounted tires to get vehicles home

One of those things if you feel the need for new tires go for it
Old 11-23-2016, 03:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Depending on how much you're looking to get for the truck - I'd say $100 worn out used ones off Craigslist.

You'll never get the thousand+ dollars back from buying new tires especially if you buy decent ones.

If you're advertising the truck as ready for the trail/road etc might be a different story.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like to deal on a truck with worn out tires. I'll factor that into my offer and then go find me some good used ones or some new ones on a daily driver. The kind of folks that will pay $5000 on an old Toyota aren't folks like us. They are folks that want a cool truck to show their buddies at the duck camp. They don't want a project. I would bet you that a set of $5000 mile AT or MT tires on decent looking wheels will increase your sale price by $500 so if you can find a set for a couple hundred, you could profit a couple hundred.

If you want to get rid of it quick, just leave it alone and expect the buyer to negotiate. If you have time to wait and want top dollar, put some descent tires on it.

In many areas, the time of year you sell it will have a lot to do with the level of interest in it and the price you can ask. I don't get in a bind to sell anything so if I was selling a Toyota down here in South Arkansas, I would only try and sell it in the spring, just after tax returns come in or in September or October when 95% of us are getting ready for deer season.