Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Goodyear Wrangler A/T or Kenda Klever M/T?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Goodyear Wrangler A/T or Kenda Klever M/T?

Hi all,

I am in dire need of some new tires. I can't seem to find any decent used 15"s for sale, it's like they're a scarcity anymore, so I am looking at buying some new ones online.

The two models I have narrowed it down to, are the Goodyear Wrangler A/T:

And the Kenda Klever M/T:

The Goodyear is obviously an all terrain, and the Kenda is a mud terrain. I live in a mountainous area where we typically have winter weather from mid-October to early-May, so that's where it makes sense to have an all terrain. However, I also do a lot of exploring out in the woods and hit the mud and gravel trails quite often from May through October, this is why I think it would make sense to have a mud terrain (plus, the Kendas are 6-ply and we have quite a few rocky areas where I live). I do a fair share of offroading in the warmer months, or at least when the snow is clear and mother nature allows me to.

For the most part, the reviews on both models of these tires have been mostly positive. There have been some reviews saying the Kendas don't do well in snow, and others saying that they do. The Kendas are about $30 more expensive per tire than the Goodyear Wranglers. I like the idea of an all terrain (Goodyear), but I like that the Kendas are 6-ply and designed more for trail-type use. Not sure though if it would make sense to buy mud terrains when we sometimes have seven or eight months of winter weather.

Does anyone have experience with either tire, or have advice on what I should get?

Thanks much,
3rnr
Old 10-10-2015, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kumho Road Venture A/T. It's an all terrain that looks like it would self clean a little. Very affordable too.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Three Times I've put all terrain on and three times I've regretted it each time. I even had a set of m/t and a/t to swap out for different uses. I now only rock m/t. But I drive conservatively in snow. Have had issues with keeping m/t balanced so now use beads. You could always sipe m/t but that is a lot of work. Check out online stores as prices are usually better, even Walmart. You may find several different tires in your price range. Search tire sizes on Google. 4wd.com had about the best prices for what I was looking for plus free shipping then got a local shop to price match. So purchased local paid slightly more with taxes and disposal fee. But supported local shop. Ask around though some shops won't mount tires purchased elsewhere.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I really like the Goodyear tires. I have to drive in ice and snow and they do great for me. Might not be so great in mud and off roading.

I don't remember which mud tires I had but I absolutely despised those tires. They looked great on the truck but they created a lot of road noise and on wet pavement, every time I would hit the brakes they would slide. Mud tires are made of hard rubber and just don't grip the pavement. I am sure if I was in the mud all of the time they would of been great, but for an every day tire, I stay away from a strictly mud tire.

Depending on your use for them, you may need to find a tire that is in between what you are showing. Used 15 inch tires are very hard to find anymore. It was going to cost me $5 a tire to dispose of my old ones and I put all 4 of them on craigslist for $25 and my phone rang off of the wall. They were down to the tread wear bar and the guy thought they were a steal of a deal.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like what I'm seeing on the Kenda Klever tires. Looking at this website, http://www.ityre.com/en/tyres/catalo...a/model/20354/
I'm seeing a 235/75 R15 and a 30x9.50 R15 LT. Well, the 30x9.50 sounds like good proportions, but can anyone who knows tire sizes tell me if the 235/75 R15 would be any more tall and skinny than the 30x9.50 R15?
Old 10-16-2015, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by bootscootboogie
Kumho Road Venture A/T. It's an all terrain that looks like it would self clean a little. Very affordable too.
Thank you all for your responses! I actually did end up going with what bootscootboogie recommended, the Kumho Road Venture A/T's (KL61 is the model number I bought). It looks like they're discontinued, but I was able to get a set of new ones on eBay for $93/tire. Even my mechanic, who mounted and balanced them for me, was raving about how awesome they looked and he thought they'd do excellent in the winter. I will post later on about how they perform in different situations, but so far I like them (all 30 miles I put on!)