Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Cooper tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 06:31 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Cooper tire

Its likely been beat to death but what are the opinions on Coopers? Been mostly a BFG and Firestone guy but their stuff caught my eye.

Looking at their most aggressive tread (SST's I believe) for my 83 and the second most aggressive for my 04 Taco. Also looking at the winter truck tire for the Taco in the snow and salt months.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I've never ran them personally but a lot of people like Cooper. I know two people who have had the STT mud terrains (the ones that look like old MTR and Toyo MT), both had opposing reviews. One guy said they were a great tire and wore like iron, were quiet in the beginning, but I did notice some light chunking and cupping, I don' think he wheeled that much. The other said he hated them they wore fast on his rig, chunked out a lot, heavily cupped tread and tread had trouble cleaning out offroad.

Talked with a guy who was running the old ST all terrains, he loved them and had them on his snow plow truck. I've heard great things about these tires. Dunno anyone who's tried out the newer ST-max all terrain, but I've considered them for my Cruiser.

Those new STT Pro mt's look nice and aggressive. Looks extremely similar to a BFG KM2 though.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:21 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Think their the same as the Mickey Thompson Extreme Country. A buddy got a set off STT's in 35, but he got the 8 ply sidewall. So the tires would 't bulge when aired down. Heavy sidewalls are great for heavy rigs or really huge tires. Comical part is he works in a tire shop

I like the tire tread design looks BA. MT extreme country only had 2ply sidewalls like the duratrac. I'm not sure about the STT pro M/T. 2ply is not ideal for what I do, but neither is an 8ply.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you looked at the Cooper stt pros? That's what Ima go with on my FJ when a can afford a set.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:11 AM

Between me and my dad we've run BFG TA-KO's and KM2's, Procomp At's and extreme At's, Mickey thompson Baja MTZ's, Cooper ST Maxx's, and finally Treadwright Guarddog MTs ( original goodyear MTR's). Out of all of those tires the Coopers are the best ones either of us have run. i currently have the Treadwrights on my 2004 4runner and love those but the Coopers i had on before just gripped better, were quieter, and lasted well over 40K miles. i plan to go back to them after i finish this set. We both disliked the KM2s on the street, especially if it was raining, and hated the way the TA-KOs were off the road.

The procomps were well procomps, a decent tire that did everything mediocre. The new xtreme mud terrain 2s are very nice however. i currently have the Mickey Thompsons on my 89 4runner and i like them, but they are pretty loud and don't perform any better than my Coopers did or even my current Treadwrights, i plan to move to coopers on it to after i wear these out.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a set of cooper st maxx. 35x12.5x15. They are worth every penny. Offroad I'm continually amazed at what they can do and they always amaze the group I'm with. For a not very aggressive tire they do better than most m/t tires. On road they are just as good. excellent on ice and snow for a large tire under a 4000lbs truck.

They are wearing much better than my MT mtz did and I got 80,000 from the mtz. I expect to geet 100,000 out of the coopers.

If you had bfg at tires, these will be a night and day difference. bfg tires SUCK. I had a set on my truck when I bought it (same size) and they were truly useless. The only thing they were good for was a smooth ride on dry pavement. as soon as it was wet pavment let the chaos begin. and as soon as they got offroad I was embarrassed to have them. And I continue to see guys with bfg mt have to winch while I drive right through with my coopers.

My next tires will be coopers when these wear out in another 60,000 km
Old 11-17-2016, 01:48 PM

I currently have the BFG MT, the old original ones that they stopped making but they're 12 years old...nuff said! The Firestone AT preform probably worse then the BFG AT. I looked at the Cooper ST Maxx and liked the looks but heard that they feel a bit 'squirmy' because of the deeper tread, any truth to that?
Old 11-17-2016, 02:08 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just curious if your 12 year old tires still have good tread why you don`t like them

Some of my tires were bought back around 1982 with money from the wedding
Old 11-17-2016, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Old83@pincher
I currently have the BFG MT, the old original ones that they stopped making but they're 12 years old...nuff said! The Firestone AT preform probably worse then the BFG AT. I looked at the Cooper ST Maxx and liked the looks but heard that they feel a bit 'squirmy' because of the deeper tread, any truth to that?
I never once had a tire squirm issue. Neither have any of the others I've turned on to the ST MAXX. Two of them drive 1ton diesels and regularly tow with zero issues. It is by far the best tire I've come across for on and offroad. Never once did I find a need for a more aggressive tread, and ive wheeled the piss out of my 4th gen with them on it. I really can't find a bad thing to say about them, and I am very picky about tires
Old 11-17-2016, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just curious if your 12 year old tires still have good tread why you don`t like them

Some of my tires were bought back around 1982 with money from the wedding
Well its just I am a it nervous of dry rot and general aging. They're just starting to get a bit of sidewall cracking and a bit in between the lugs despite the lack of wear, and yes I do like them . The local tire guys say just to run them but keep an eye on them if the cracking gets worse or they start losing air...which I do and they haven't. However the ST Maxxs are more being considered for my 04 Taco which currently has the Firestone AT's which are a good wearing tough tire but are horrible in any thing more than dry dirt off road
Old 11-17-2016, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by RationalRedneck
I never once had a tire squirm issue. Neither have any of the others I've turned on to the ST MAXX. Two of them drive 1ton diesels and regularly tow with zero issues. It is by far the best tire I've come across for on and offroad. Never once did I find a need for a more aggressive tread, and ive wheeled the piss out of my 4th gen with them on it. I really can't find a bad thing to say about them, and I am very picky about tires
Looks like ST Maxxs are likely in my future on both rigs, one sooner and one later, and like you I am picky about tires. I'll take months of study and research before deciding.

Thanks for the input everyone!