Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

BFG KO2 31x10.5R15 Rubbing!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 03:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
BFG KO2 31x10.5R15 Rubbing!

As the title states, my 1990 Pickup SR5 occasionally rubs at full lock with my 31s on stock rims - even with the lower bumper valence removed! The old worn out all seasons didn't rub so I'm assuming it's the extra diameter of actually having tread, probably the bigger lugs out towards the sidewall. What should I be looking at to alleviate this issue - or should I just not worry about it?

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2016, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd adjust your torsion bars just a little to alleviate the rubbing. I haven't ever seen one rub with 31s but I haven't had one just like yours. You may need to jack it up and check all of your suspension, ball joints and steering components for wear. If you have some slack in something, one of the tires on that side may be rocking over during your turn just enough to contact something under there. Does it seem to do it more often when turning at speed or when slowly turning around in a parking lot?
Old 11-23-2016, 09:12 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Are you running OEM wheels??
Old 11-24-2016, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by millball
Are you running OEM wheels??
Yep, running 15 inch steel 5 spoke OEM wheels. I guess ill try to crank the torsion bars a bit to raise the front end. Will this bring about any alignment issues?
Old 12-20-2016, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Charchee
I'd adjust your torsion bars just a little to alleviate the rubbing. I haven't ever seen one rub with 31s but I haven't had one just like yours. You may need to jack it up and check all of your suspension, ball joints and steering components for wear. If you have some slack in something, one of the tires on that side may be rocking over during your turn just enough to contact something under there. Does it seem to do it more often when turning at speed or when slowly turning around in a parking lot?
Interesting. Here's my 93 that came with stock 31's. I've never had any rubbing before or after adjusting the torsion bars. I have them cranked up about an inch so that it would level out the truck after putting on new leaf springs that lifted the rear about 1.5". Had the saggy rear end.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Summitbeerowl
Interesting. Here's my 93 that came with stock 31's. I've never had any rubbing before or after adjusting the torsion bars. I have them cranked up about an inch so that it would level out the truck after putting on new leaf springs that lifted the rear about 1.5". Had the saggy rear end.
I notice you have the SR5 alloy wheels - are those different than the steelies?

I only really notice the noise turning around in a parking lot, especially in reverse. Maybe I should be checking my bump stops as well?

I haven't touched my torsion bars and as far as I know the rear leafs are original, they don't seem to sag.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:36 AM

The SR5 alloys are marked "Offset 8". Not sure what yours are or where to measure but you can look that up and measure your offset easily.