The Off-Road Gourmet Food, what to cook, how to cook, share your trail side meals with us

Pizza on a stove

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pizza on a stove

On our last trip to Moab in November my son and I cooked pizza from scratch. We mixed the dough and put in in ziplock bags and warmed them in our shirts. Then we cooked one side of the crust on a pan, flipped it and put on the toppings. When the cheese is cooked the pizza is done. (we pre-cooked the peperoni)

Pretty simple and great tasting.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:34 AM

MMMMMMMMMMM that looks tastey. I'll definatley have to give this a try. Thanks
Old 01-28-2010, 11:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Well that's interesting...
Old 01-29-2010, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We do our pizzas in cast iron pie irons. Heat up the irons in the fire,a little PAM spray, spread the dough and layer on your cheese/pepproni. Close up the iron and cook on the coals for a few minutes....don't be tempted to flip the iron over! Ask my 14 year old why!
Old 01-29-2010, 01:42 PM

YUMMY. Makes me want to go camping right meow.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:22 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i like the campstove pizza, nice! on the topic of pizza, i've been cooking pizzas at home on my bbq grill. i think it's something that i'm gonna have to try on a camp fire grill as i think it will work exactly the same. it's not a very common method for cooking pizza, but it works freakin' awesome and can be quite entertaining when you have guests over since everyone can chill outside around the grill.

i get the fresh pizza dough (we like the trader joe's herb pizza dough). pick out all of your ingredients and have them ready - this could be anything, any toppings you like on your pizza. anything that needs to be cooked beforehand should be done, like sausage or something like that. let the dough rest for 20 min at room temp, then roll it out however you like - i prefer to stretch that thing to the size of a cookie sheet so it's a good size and nice'n thin.

now that all our ingredients are ready to go, get yourself a beer and take everything over to your pre-heated BBQ grill. i like to spray down my grill surface with olive oil from my nifty pump kitchen oil sprayer before putting things on it. very carefully transfer your dough directly onto your hot grill - if you screw up the shape, now's the time to correct it because it's gonna set in the next minute or so. let the dough cook for a few minutes - i like to watch it and wait until it's set up enough to flip over. bubbles/bloating of the dough is a pretty good sign it's ready but usually it's like 3-5min. before flipping i olive oil the dough so that it gets nice and crispy on what will be the bottom.

now use your man hands and grab the edge of the dough and flip that sucker over. now it's go time. quickly spread some sauce (go easy on this or everything will go sliding off) and then the rest of your toppings in whatever order you like. pizza is done once your your cheese is melted and the dough is at your desired doneness/crispiness. i've let it go up to 10 min without burning it and got an extra crispy dough.

ever since being introduced to making pizza this way, i have not gone back. i have tried it dozens of times on both gas and charcoal grills and the results are always fantastic. i've never burned the dough on the grill either but i'm sure it could happen if you're not careful. i usually use my gas grill and keep it on the high the whole time - the process usually takes about 15 min total grill time. hope you guys enjoy this one, i know i do.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:06 AM

We always make our pizzas on the bbq when we are camping. We use the frozen ones and the new garlic bread crust ones (square shaped) are the perfect size. We've found the best way to do it without burning the underside of the pizza is to wrap cardboard(usually sacrificing a box that we brought supplies/food up in) in tin foil and raise it above the grill an inch or so on top of empty beer or redbull (which work better) cans.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:03 AM

Get your cast iron skillet and coat it in olive oil and bake it in the oven at 500 degrees.Coat it several times.It will leave a non stick coating.Then take it on your next trip.
Mix your dough which I use 3 cups of bread flour.Get one cup warm water 3 table spoons sugar,and one pack yeast,Mix the sugar,yeast and water,let stand for ten minutes,add the flour,and mix,add a little garlic salt and olive oil in the mix.Let stand.The dough will rise.
Heat that skillet in the fire or on the grill as hot as you can get it.Grab some of the dough,flatten it out and throw it in the pan with some olive oil and it will cook and rise,add the toppings and enjoy.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:09 AM

Sounds awesome if you have welding skills take some sheet metal weld a box together w/ the metal make a door on the front put over a fire to pre heat and use that to bake pizza and other foods tjat require an oven