The Off-Road Gourmet Food, what to cook, how to cook, share your trail side meals with us

Food Saver vacuum sealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Food Saver vacuum sealer

I got the V3835 which is not listed on Food Savers homepage, their newest one is the 3840.
This on the side of the box has a Fred Meyers tag on it, so I think it was specifiably packaged for Freddies, and it looks identical to the 3840.
Some info on this model.
http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Tilia-Fo...eal-Technology

I bought a dual pack of 11"x16' rolls of the bags you cut yourself, and a box of 20 1 qt. bags.

They make both the horizontal clamshell type sealer, and also a vertical design.
All the bad reviews I have read online about the vertical units must be half of user error, as this newbie to the world of vacuum sealing had zero problems.

I used one custom cut bag from the roll which I cut with a built in cutter in the machine for the avocados.
The cookies and the D, AA, and AAA batteries are also in a 1 qt. bag.

The machine worked as it was suppose to, I was very impressed.

I will keep an eye on the avocado to see when it turns brown.
I am not sure if I can freeze them or not.

I bought a cantaloupe to test this out on too, but I have to let it ripen up some.
I know you can freeze cantaloupe, so after it is ripe I will slice up a half into smaller slices and place in a few custom cut bags and freeze them.

Will be trying this out too on those dollar dinner pasta dinners from Safeway.
I have the stroganoff one here, so I will cook up a box which makes about three to four servings and dish it into the qt. sized bags and partially freeze them first before using the machine.
This is to prevent the juice/liquid from the pasta getting sucked into the machine.

If this works successfully, I can then put them back in the freezer for a long time, then take a few for a camping trip and store in the ARB fridge.
Then put a bag in boiling water on the camp stove and reheat them.
Not sure if I have to make a slit in the bag or not.
I would think that would introduce the water into the bag, or maybe you have to make a slit from keeping the bag from blowing up

Anyways, I think these machines are pretty cool, and it will save a lot of prep time for camping/overlanding dinners.

With this new machine with the SmartSeal technology, the process starts automatically as soon as I insert the bag.
If at anytime you notice your food getting squished to much, simply hit the seal button and the vacuum process stops sucking out air and the heat seal starts up right away.

Some reviews from Amazon.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Five plus full days of the avocado sitting in my fridge in the sealed bag.
From this at 4:30 PM PST

to this a few minutes later

I am satisfied with the machine so far.
Now I have to start making up some stroganoff dinners for camping and freeze them after sealing them.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you made a good point. if something is wet or juicy freeze it first then seal it. i find it works best with stake and hamburger meat to freeze it some first like you said. i love mine also.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:55 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Have you reheated frozen stuff like soup or pasta with sauce by dropping the bag in boiling water?
If so, do you cut a slit in the bag to relieve pressure.
Would this then let water into the bag diluting the food?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:42 PM

i havnt tryed it but i would think you wouldnt wount to cut it. like you said water would get in it.maybe you could leave a little extar room in the bag and just keep an eye on it.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:39 PM

I used to take trips to remote places where there were no doctors. So I made water proof kits with these things. I had I/V kits with 500ml RL + tubing + catheters + swabs + surgical tape. A suture kit in another. Ammunition in another. I vacuum sealed everything. Emergency flares, dry socks, a brick of bandages, a deadmans pistol. Toradol in one, Rocephin in another. Meds and thats just the tip of the iceberg. I also had all kinds of 35mm film, lithium batteries, extra camera bodies, lenses, extra gps. Not to mention the food. Okay I will, roasted coffee beans, bacon, pemican, aged cheese, dry aged beef, chocolate bars, all stored in dry ice. I used to also premix meals in the bags. I would have granola, dehydrated goats milk and freeze dried blue berries in one. Just cut the top off and pour some water in, dig out with a spoon. Or quick oats, ghee and brown sugar in another. Just cut the top off, pour some hot water in, wait a few and then dig out with a spoon. Yum.

I would not cook food in it today since plastic leaches into the food and I am already living on borrowed time. But the bags will take the heat.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Corey

I am satisfied with the machine so far.
Now I have to start making up some stroganoff dinners for camping and freeze them after sealing them.
Nice bachelor meal there.
Yeah I use mine all the time for camping since I want things to be easy out there.
You don't have to leave room or cut a slit in the bags when boiling as they take pressure as well as vaccuum

I like to make individual portion bags so that there is no rewraping up of food leftovers. I do a lot of prep at home and then just divide things into individual meals or ingredients.

Single packs of smoked salmon are an excellent on the trail or at camp snak.

At home you can reuse the bags. Just cut off as little as possible, dump out some dry goods and reseal.

After bags have been boiled they are no good for reuse.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Sounds like you got a lot of use out of yours jack.

Desert, yes a quick Friday meal.
Been stopping off at the grocery store on Fridays for a few weeks to just pick up a few lbs. of macaroni salad to last the weekend.

Makes for a quick Friday meal.
I cook much more for Saturday evenings.

Thanks for the tips on the bags.