Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

What kind of sunglasses do you like?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
What kind of sunglasses do you like?

On my quest for a decent pair of glasses I just settled on the Oakley Flak Jacket.
http://www.oakley.com/flakjacket
Custom setup:
http://www.oakley.com/custom/flakjacket?sliver

In the past I wore Oakley M frame Heaters for skiing, mountain biking, hiking, ect, but that was when I wore contacts.
With my job I really find it hard to wear them, so I have gone back to just wearing glasses.

During the Christmas break I went in for my yearly eye exam and got a new pair of glasses to replace a pair I got summer of 2008.
I asked about a sports sunglass since I am back into mountain biking again, and they really did not carry anything appealing to me.

I inquired on the 'Net and found out the Oakley Flak Jacket is a good pair to use for biking and other outdoor activities.
But alas Oakley can not fit them with a prescription lens for me unless I go through an Oakley dealer which my eye doctor is not.
But I can still buy the glasses from Oakley and then have my eye doctors outfit grind the lens to put in my pair.

My eye doctor did give me my prescription so I could have taken it to an authorized Oakley affiliated eye doctor and have them order them for me, but my doctor said their grinder can make the lens and put them in the frames for me.

I have been wearing Transitions lenses for quite a few years now, and Oakley said that would be a good lens to stick with since they are clear to start out with then darken up to all black when enough sun is exposed on them.
This will be good when mountain biking in exposed sun, then if I ride into tree cover they will lighten up again until I get back out into the sun.

Here is what mine will look like.
I went with the black frame, green on black Oakley trademark icon on the eyesock sides, and orange eyesocks.

The orange will match my bike and my CamelBak Mule hydration pack, so it will look kind of cool.

I read about another good prescription sunglass called the Rudy Project that is good, but I wanted to try the Oakleys.
The Oakley guy also said that when you sweat with these on, the material they are made out of instead of wanting to slide down your face, they actually will cling better when wet.
Pretty cool.

So what kind of sunglass do you like?
Besides the old Oakleys I have, I also have about three pairs of Blue Blockers which were very popular years ago.
I actually liked them very much as they even brightened up the day on cloudy/overcast days.
I have a pair of REI glacier glasses somewhere too that are very dark, and meant mainly when hiking at high elevations or when in the snow.

Here are the Oakleys though.
They will arrive in about a week or so, then it will take a week turnaround or so when I drop them off at my eye doctor to have the Transitions prescription lenses put in.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i like free oakley's, like what i found foating in the water at a boat ramp to years ago. best sunglasses i ever got. the ones you posted look nice, i like the oakley lenses. I just could not justify buying a pair.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I perfer the amber polarized lens as the tent allows vision into shadows. I got away from black lens when I had a motorcycle, just hated the moment between full sun and entering a shadow once under the shadow I could see fine but not until I was under it. Later loved them for riding trails on mountain bikes. Not that sun and shadows are as big a concern here with the 300 days of rain, then the additional 45 days of overcast

I was leaning towards a set Flak jackets myself I have a GSA account with Oakley better price but limits lens sellection.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bahaha. Dark_Farytales, I was about to say the same thing.

I, too, Like my free Oakleys I found in a parking lot a few summers ago.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im high class i get my sunglasses at the gas station or if im feelin really special i get them from walmart or target. Sunglasses are too easy to loose or mess up to justify spending alot on them.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

I have the Adidas wrap arounds... I like them because they have a clip in scrip lens and the lens are interchangeable... I have some contrast yellows for night wear/cloudy days, polarized for sunny days, and some orange ones that I was given. There just are'nt that many options for us scrip glasses wearers.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:46 PM

i got some kreeds from a local skate shop for 20 bucks polarized but anything that fit and block the sun ha ha
Old 01-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rbwben
Im high class i get my sunglasses at the gas station or if im feelin really special i get them from walmart or target. Sunglasses are too easy to loose or mess up to justify spending alot on them.
X2, all it takes is one trip out on the lake in some comfortable Oakleys to forget you're wearing them when you jump in the water, and never see them again.

It seems like the more expensive the sunglasses are, the faster they sink. I like Oakleys, too, but I couldn't bear losing them.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was a huge fan of Spy Optics back in the early 2000's, but haven't owned a pair in a few years now. Loved 'em until I sent my gunmetal Scoops back in under warranty for a broken arm, they came back non-polarized with a cheap painted (not color-injected) frame. Pretty much replaced my $160 favorite glasses ever with a lesser pair that looked the same at their discretion. Sad.

I like Oakleys too, but have a hard time finding a pair that fit my head well. I've been wearing a pair of Serengeti something-or-other from Costco for the last 3 years.

I hear good things about Bolle for perscription shades, too.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
with my fat head it takes me awhile to find some i just go with walmart ones
Old 01-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
KD's AKA Cheap sunglasses ZZ Top sing about $6 a pair and nice and dark most Harley Dealers sell them.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:56 AM

WWW.KAENON.COM By far the best pair of glasses i have ever wore!!! They are very clear and won't give you a headache after wearing them all day like most glasses. Plus you can order them with your prescription lens if you need them! Yes they are highend and come in around 200$ a pair but they are worth what you pay for them. I use to go there glasses like under wear but these things have lasted me over a year and stil no scratch's
Old 01-17-2010, 04:24 AM

Polarized FishEyes.....they're cheap (20 bucks), they work well and when I drop them off the side of the boat, I don't cry.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:10 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I take really good care of my glasses I wear, and have never lost a pair.
Probably helps that all of my sunglasses I use that thingybobby that goes around your neck and the earsocks on the glasses.

When not in use they hang around my neck.
With these new ones though since they are prescription I will not be hanging them around my neck since I need them on.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:36 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Nemesis safety glasses - don't laugh, the dark lenses work great for sunglasses and then double as safety glasses and typically cost me under $2.50/pr locally.

NEMESIS Safety Eyewear

You get a free chord with them too.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

smith makes a good pair of glasses. been wearing them for years.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:44 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Those safety sunglasses we get for free at Boeing
The frames come in different colors and tints on the lens too.

But alas none are prescription ones.
But for those wearing contacts or with perfect vision, they make great sunglasses.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:15 AM

I find mine in junk cars, clean em and wear em till they break or I lose them. My current pair cam ewith my Pathfinder though, found them swapping interior parts. If they are free and fit my head comfortably, they are the best ones.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x3 on gas station glasses. I've got the same pair of PUGS sunglasses from SHEETZ gas station about 20 times now. They are polarized and cost 13 bucks. I go through about 3-5 pairs a year so expensive glasses are not an option for me.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
Those safety sunglasses we get for free at Boeing
The frames come in different colors and tints on the lens too.

But alas none are prescription ones.
But for those wearing contacts or with perfect vision, they make great sunglasses.
They should be able to get you scrip safety glasses Corey
If they don't they are discriminating against you and also making it unsafe for you to work there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What kind of sunglasses do you like?