Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Storage solution(s) for 4Runner

Old 11-27-2010, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Storage solution(s) for 4Runner

I’m headed off to chase the SCORE Baja 1000 and have the same old problem. WHERE DOES ALL THIS STUFF GO? For those of you on here that use your 4runners to go exploring you’ll understand the problem of organizing and securing all the ‘just-in-case’ things you need on a big trip like running down the Baja peninsula. Securing items becomes even more important when your offroading at speed because there is nothing worse than having things flying throughout the cab when your bombing down a whooped out road. Finding a pit box that handle this has been a hard find.

Gear I always carry:

SAFTY: backboard, neck brace, Hostyle trauma kit & first-aid
RECOVERY: jack, ARB tree-saver and tow strap, tire plug kit, road flares, lug wrench/breaker-bar and of course a large spare.
SPARE PARTS: axle, air filter, specific nuts/bolts, u-joints ect.
FLUIDS: water, Lucas Oil ATF, motor-oil, gear-oil, lubricant spray, brake-cleaner, radiator stop-leak, shock oil, and fixa flat
OTHER: hand-tools, BFH, duc-tape and bailing twine (just cuz).
CREATURE COMFORT: jacket, blanket, cooler, tent, sleeping bags and trip luggage.

After searching the internet I finally found a box http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-127-0...ty-drawer.aspx that fits the FUNrunner and allows me to store all the essentials needed for long excursions. I’ve had Tuffy Security products www.tuffyproducts.com before in my ol’ rockcrawler and know they are build to take offroad abuse. The beauty of this Tuffy drawer box is it allows me to get to tools/recovery-gear fast without having to unpack all the creature comfort things such as luggage.

The BFGoodrich spare, aluminum jack, and breaker-bar all find a home on the CBI Fabrication bumper www.cbioffroadfab.com. Soft luggage such as a tent and sleeping bags go up top with the backboard on the Baja Rack roofrack www.bajarack.com.

The combination of Tuffy Security, CBI Fabrication and Baja Rack high quality products has become my solution for many offroad outings.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
cool set up on your 4Runner.
I like the folding litter

checked out the RFC website & facebook page, pretty cool
Old 12-23-2010, 09:05 PM

I just have found for the short outings that a clear rubbermaid box does the trick. they snap shut and i can see whats in each one.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:17 PM

I'm all about building what you need ... putting some thought into it will find you wayyyy more space efficient solutions than buying something ... although I sleep in mine when I travel so space is a bit more of a concern, haha.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by sbctrls250
I'm all about building what you need ... putting some thought into it will find you wayyyy more space efficient solutions than buying something ... although I sleep in mine when I travel so space is a bit more of a concern, haha.
Sounds awesome, post up some pics so we can see your ideas.