Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Post pics of your mods for camping

Old 03-31-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks pretty good, lots of storage space and appears to be both easy to set up and haul. Any thoughts on carpeting or something similar to make it a bit softer to sleep on?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I have thought of stapling carpet down. Right now, I have an egg crate mattress from Target, and a Thermarest that together, is pretty soft. The egg crate is really thin, cheap stuff that will probably be replaced but it was a quick grab and it works.

The other thing I really like is that the whole thing can be pulled out and stored in under 5 minutes. It isn't hard-fastened to anything, just press fit onto the shell keepers. So far, I've had no issues with it moving around while driving and it seems pretty stable in there.

Looking forward to more road testing!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:29 AM

Any new updates? I ask because I love camping mods in these rigs.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
more plans to add to the list

Great thread, pics, info, and ideas here. This is my first time posting although I've been frequenting the site for some time now. I've had my 94 4Runner for about 4 years now, but for two of those it sat with a blown rear end for monetary reasons, and I'm finally looking to get into starting the long list of projects I've amassed browsing over the threads and pics here on what I've come to pretty well consider the holy handbook of info on modifying and off-roading Toyotas. Almost anytime i found myself reading a thread on a different off-road or Toyota based forum site someone inevitable piped in somewhere midway down the first page with something along the lines of ".... yeah, but you should really check out this thread on Yotatech (insert link here) its got way better info than I've found anywhere else". Anyway, enough feather fluffing, on to the point...

I've been kicking around the idea of a camping mod/ insert for a while now. Still stumbling on a couple roadblocks though:
1) I'm ~6'4" and the rear of the ride isn't, to say the least, spacious with me sprawled out in it.
2) About 50% of my use will require sleeping for 2x adults and 1x 8 yr old child.

I've been working on an idea for a storage/sleeper insert with some sort of pullout foot board to extend the length out to the end of the open tailgate combined along with a homemade tent attachment utilizing an old military style wall tent.... not sold on fab ideas yet but I've been working on sketching out some rough blueprints for accomplishing what I'm looking for. As soon as i come up with a decent design I'm relatively comfortable with I will try to post it up in here for feedback/criticisms before I spend the cheese on materials.

@ Bajataco, love your rig and website. Seriously considering scrapping my previous ideas for homemade tube bumpers and mimicking yours - those are just slick.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Funksrunner
Great thread, pics, info, and ideas here. This is my first time posting although I've been frequenting the site for some time now. I've had my 94 4Runner for about 4 years now, but for two of those it sat with a blown rear end for monetary reasons, and I'm finally looking to get into starting the long list of projects I've amassed browsing over the threads and pics here on what I've come to pretty well consider the holy handbook of info on modifying and off-roading Toyotas. Almost anytime i found myself reading a thread on a different off-road or Toyota based forum site someone inevitable piped in somewhere midway down the first page with something along the lines of ".... yeah, but you should really check out this thread on Yotatech (insert link here) its got way better info than I've found anywhere else". Anyway, enough feather fluffing, on to the point...

I've been kicking around the idea of a camping mod/ insert for a while now. Still stumbling on a couple roadblocks though:
1) I'm ~6'4" and the rear of the ride isn't, to say the least, spacious with me sprawled out in it.
2) About 50% of my use will require sleeping for 2x adults and 1x 8 yr old child.

I've been working on an idea for a storage/sleeper insert with some sort of pullout foot board to extend the length out to the end of the open tailgate combined along with a homemade tent attachment utilizing an old military style wall tent.... not sold on fab ideas yet but I've been working on sketching out some rough blueprints for accomplishing what I'm looking for. As soon as i come up with a decent design I'm relatively comfortable with I will try to post it up in here for feedback/criticisms before I spend the cheese on materials.

@ Bajataco, love your rig and website. Seriously considering scrapping my previous ideas for homemade tube bumpers and mimicking yours - those are just slick.

Welcome to Yotatech!!!

Yeah at 6'4" you might have some sleeping issues if you want to stretch out. At 6'1" myself I seem to have plenty of room in my first gen runner (I think you 94 is longer than my 89 although I don't know where the extra length really comes from) and have slept in there with my Xwife and a 90lb Shepard mix puppy.

As far as the tailgate option goes (does the 94 have a "tailgate" or the full fold up rear hatch?) you could make something to hang your military tent off of or maybe a "droopy" tarp type thing to cover your feet and have room to move around. Seeing as how you have the lady and a kid I'm guessing you'll need to be able to compact it all so you can still use all the seats. Might be that you'll have to do some creative fab work with a set up that leaves one back seat usable (for the kid to sit in while you drive) and leave the other one folded for storage of the sleeping platform.

Just as an FYI I'm planning to install a roll out type tarp on the rear of my roof rack to add some more coverage over the rear for when the tail gate is down. Of course I also picked up some surplus mosquito netting to cover up the gaps since I HATE being chewed on at night.

Take some measurements, preferably with you laying down in the back with the seats folded down and the gate open/closed and see how much room you need.

Good luck and be sure and post up the build!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Welcome to Yotatech!!!
does the 94 have a "tailgate" or the full fold up rear hatch?
Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, the 94 is a tailgate version with the power back glass.

Seeing as how you have the lady and a kid I'm guessing you'll need to be able to compact it all so you can still use all the seats. Might be that you'll have to do some creative fab work with a set up that leaves one back seat usable (for the kid to sit in while you drive) and leave the other one folded for storage of the sleeping platform.
The idea I'm working with is to have the tent legs collapsible into a roof rack design I'm also cooking up. A kind of tri-fold design that will collapse along the top rail of the rack with a (still trying to work out) maybe crank roll up to one side or the other pre-folding. As for the sleeping area I was thinking of adding an extra 3/4" to 1" gap above storage for a slide out section to be able to be used as the head/shoulder support that would rest on the top of the folded up rear seats. May be interesting to engineer, but the puzzle is 70% of the fun .

Good luck and be sure and post up the build!
When I get around to a design that I'm actually comfy with, I will be sure to start the build thread with the design schematics and keep you posted on all the debauchery and headache fun that follows .
Old 04-14-2011, 05:11 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
My turn although I've posted this before.

Open box neatly packed with foam to prevent things from bouncing around.
You have got a sweet setup!!!
Makes me want to get a 4 runner!
Nice work as always.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Funksrunner

id recomend a miltary pup tent half mounted to the top is should cover the sides up decently enough to and their relatively cheap
Old 04-18-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by toyospearo
You have got a sweet setup!!!
Makes me want to get a 4 runner!
Nice work as always.
Thank you!
Old 09-22-2011, 02:46 PM

first test this weekend cant wait

Name:  100_0214.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  38.8 KB
Name:  100_0208.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  68.6 KB
Name:  100_0206.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  73.6 KB
Name:  100_0205.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  93.4 KB
Old 10-10-2011, 10:53 PM

Here's my system:

and a writeup:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...re-242047-new/
Old 03-23-2012, 04:41 PM

Has anyone seen a pass through setup from the cab to camper?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:05 AM

They all look great!!! I'm from the UK and i am thinking of doing this to my Hilux and going to America to explore and go off road. do you recommend?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tcyota
They all look great!!! I'm from the UK and i am thinking of doing this to my Hilux and going to America to explore and go off road. do you recommend?
sure, mate
Old 01-13-2013, 07:24 AM

Hey Mtn Mike,

Any chance you have more detailed plans for this design? Looks exactly what I'm looking to build as a family camping solution. One main questions is whether or not you removed any part of the rear seat section to drop that second platform piece into location? I'm looking for a two piece platform/storage design that will retain the use of the rear seats to get the kids into the backcountry.

Thanks for any additional info you have!! Looks great by the way!

Last edited by mussy01; 01-13-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 PM

Sleeping platform

Simple and awesome.
Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your mods for camping-178993_422360761152851_736189974_n.jpeg   Post pics of your mods for camping-553143_389434674412086_623327329_n.jpeg  
Old 08-27-2014, 12:20 AM

where did you guys find the specific air mattresses for the truck beds?
im looking one that will fit my longbed
Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by bttrs
first test this weekend cant wait
What is that camper?
Old 08-27-2014, 07:00 AM

[QUOTE="Junkers88;51354259"]My turn although I've posted this before. Open box neatly packed with foam to prevent things from bouncing around. Don't have this truck anymore but you get the idea on the camping box and what it holds. I've also upgraded my stove. Lets see..... we have a lantern with fuel, forks and such for eating, knives for cutting, spoons for stirring etc..... We also have some plates, pots and pans (I'm planning on some larger pans soon and I have some cast iron that just doesn't fit in the box), foil, trash bags (if you pack it in then you damn sure pack it out) and cleaning supplies. There is coffee, tea, sugar, salt/pepper/spices, napkins, TP, a first aid kit my free coleman stove with fuel and the seat of honor goes to the coffee pot. To the right of that is the recovery bag with a 30' tow strap, gloves, D ring, fire extinguisher, chain and the footing to my hi-lift. Notice the inflated bed mat with the pump sitting in front of it? Nice and comfy. [/IMG] How the same mattress fits in the 4runner. (no that is not my kid) Camping box in there. The roof rack that now holds the hi-lift and shovel that used to be in the cargo area along with an axe, a fuel can, water can, soon to be the spare tire and probably the ice chest. The ex wife and my boy. Believe it or not we all slept in there for two nights and had plenty of room. The puppy kept it nice and warm in there. [/QUOTE

Where did you get that mattress?? I really like that.. AND the 4Runner!
Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I used a futon for years.. the inflatable beds kept squeaking..