Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

NATO Fuel Cans

Old 05-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NATO Fuel Cans

Disclaimer: Some links to retailers may quickly be obsolete.

Tired of leaking gas (jerry) cans? One trip to the Maze District of Canyonlands NP, and I was. Came back and started to do a little research. The theme I seemed to hear/read was that "NATO-style" cans don't leak. So I did some research as to what was available out there. What I ended up with was a motley collection from several sources.

First I ordered some cans, gaskets, and a spout from Major Surplus. The cans are definitely Swiss Army surplus and are good, the spout and gaskets are junk. I filled up the cans with gas right away and turned them upside down and shook them and drove around with them in the back of the 4Runner for a couple of days without so much as a seep. I also like how the lids lock open and can be closed by just lifting them and then pushing them down, and pushing down the cam lock. One quick action to close.

However, when trying to pour gas from the can, more gas leaked on the floor than came out the spout. Not only that, I bought the gaskets with the intent of using them as replacements for the gaskets on the cans. They won't fit the cans. As you can see in the following photo, the cans use a different gasket...

The spout was didn't have a vent, either. So I returned the gaskets and spout for a refund. and ordered a spout from Atlantic British that you can see in the picture above. (Note that they also have brand new cans for about $33.) As you can see above, it took a little modification of the can vent tubes and the spout vent tube to make the spout vent tube fit inside the can vent tube. I widened the can vent tube with a small punch and used a vise and vise-grips to flatten out the spout vent tube. I also had to bend the spout vent tube a little toward the center of the can opening. The spout comes with a holder that can be attached to a can and hold the spout like this:

The vent inlet is on the top of the spout / nozzle:

So then I started looking for the correct replacement gaskets and found them at Swiss Army Vehicles.

While I was at it, I ordered a larger spout (not compatible with unleaded gasoline fill restricters) and a couple more cans.
These cans were a little different: The contents markers were different and were only in German and maybe Dutch or Danish, and had a 30W oil option. The vent tubes inside the can were a little lower inside the cap. When I say "contents markers", I mean little aluminum plates that slip in to a holder to tell the GI what's in the can, since they are all painted the same color, The Swiss ones are shown below.

The spout is very cool. If you don't have to put fuel in car with an unleaded restricter plate, they are fast (Think boat, plane, diesel, etc.)

It is long and flexible and big, and worked perfectly w/o modification. It has a screw-in screen on the end of the nozzle:

They do require a little different motion to connect, though. They are designed to vent inside the middle of the can and not hit the can's internal vent tube. So they vent has a couple of little dog-legs in it:

So going in you have to tilt back the spout and insert the vent tube like thus:

So I get all of these delivered, and the cans are dark green / gray. One of the first things my father says when he sees them while visiting me is, "I guess I better get some Rustoleum and paint them." So he bought a can of Rustoleum primer and a couple of cans of bright red Rustoleum and paints them. Thus we now have red cans.

You can also (allegedly) buy new cans and spouts from Expedition Exchange that have a larger vent tube in the can, thus not requiring modification. However, Wedco has been bought by another company, The Plastics Group. They do show the cans as part of the Briggs & Stratton catalog. I say "allegedly" because EE did not reply to my email queries about the Wedco cans.

In addition, Garrett Wade lists them on their web site along with water and diesel cans.

Also check out the offerings of British Pacific, Expedition Imports, CheaperThanDirt, British Pacific, and 4WheelOutfitters.com. The latter is out of cans but has the spouts, while CDT and ExpImp have the cans.

For the definitive paper on fuel cans, see Al Dolney's paper or a newer version in PDF. Unfortunately, many of his links are obsolete. However, do check out what he says about DOT regulations!

I hope all of this research helps someone else! If you have additional info, please post up!

Last edited by 86Original; 05-14-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:15 AM

That is a great write up. I too have a couple of the Tagged NATO cans and just purchased the Swiss nozzle. Plus I have confirmed that the Nozzle fits standard Wedco metal cans as I have 12 of them.

The Wedco nozzle is ok, but nothing compared to the true beef of the swiss nozzle.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:19 AM

86Original,

Since you live in Loveland I wanted to let you know that Jax in Fort Collins has the Triebstoff Surplus NATO cans back in the cage by the Surplus section.

I rooted through all of them about a month back and was able to find to OD units taht looked almost brand new.

Take a flashlight and shine it down inside to make sure there is no rust also.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:22 AM

One last tid bit, if anyone is interested the last place I know of that has new nato cans is Atlantic British. They have 65 20L cans about a week ago.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:20 AM

NATO cans banned

Originally Posted by tcmault
One last tid bit, if anyone is interested the last place I know of that has new nato cans is Atlantic British. They have 65 20L cans about a week ago.

NATO-type jerry cans are the best there is as far as leaks and smell. They are completely air-tight, even when upside down. They're the best for fuel storage, too because gasoline does not degrade nearly as fast in the steel container as in plastic. If you are going to get some, DO IT QUICKLY!!!! As of Jan 1 2009, the tree-hugging leftists at the EPA have banned the sale of the normal jerry cans and made CARB compliant (junk) cans the law of the land (all US), not just in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. If you can get the clamp-type cans, get them immediately. It will probably be your last chance. If you notice, most of the places that sell them are out of stock, the reason is the ban. I'm sure with the new White House occupant the enviro regulations will only get worse.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...d.php?p=313316
http://www.nospill.com/States_Compliance.htm READ THE PINK LINE
Old 01-22-2009, 09:55 AM

The child proof one is the one that get's me. Who let's their kid play with Fuel Cans unsupervised. Mine are in the garage and I would not even remotely let my little one run around unattended out there.

There are things much more frightening than Nato Gas cans out there.

Heck, most of the time they are clamped so tight from partial pressure changes that it is hard from me to pry them open, let alone a small child.

Oh, well...one child saved makes it worth it. Nothing sadder than a burnt child. I just wish parents took more responsibility.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:11 AM

Be suspicious of any regulation/law needed "For the Children." That is political-speak that means "No one will dare oppose us if we claim it's for the sake of children, no matter how bad a law it really is." For the environment means the same thing.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:06 PM

I have some very very nice, new NATO style Jerry Can's for sale
Click HERE.

Very nice write up on the Jerry Cans. Thank you,
Old 05-17-2011, 01:59 PM

So where do you find those nozzles with the built in vent tubes? mine don't have them and they take forever to pour. I could use the super siphon, but I like to have options.

Thank you for your time,

Todd
Old 05-17-2011, 03:05 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I wuv wed.