Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Less expensive 12 volt cooler.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Less expensive 12 volt cooler.

Just doing some looking and found these.

http://koolatrononline.stores.yahoo....s-warmers.html

I'll be keeping an eye out for the refurbished ones, for 65$ I think it'd be worth a try.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
ARB Fridges are awesome!

Those other kind never get more than 40 degrees colder than ambient temperature.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
So if it's 70 degrees out the cooler will be at 30 degrees?
Old 02-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Banned

Read it again.

If it's 100F outside the coldest they can get is 60F.

ARB type can keep ice cream frozen on a 100F day.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

soooo if it's 40F outside it'll maintain 0f?

Old 02-01-2010, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buy a mini fridge and put an power adapter in there to power it! haha
Old 02-01-2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
ARB Fridges are awesome!

Those other kind never get more than 40 degrees colder than ambient temperature.

Yeah but how much is an ARB fridge? I found one for 800$...... can't afford that.

I did not however read that these things only get about 40 degrees below ambient. I'm guessing if it's 60 degrees outside then I'm good but it gets a hell of a lot hotter here in the summer than that.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
Yeah but how much is an ARB fridge? I found one for 800$...... can't afford that.

I did not however read that these things only get about 40 degrees below ambient. I'm guessing if it's 60 degrees outside then I'm good but it gets a hell of a lot hotter here in the summer than that.
It costs just a hair less than an ARB..... lol

It's better than nothing, and I bet it would keep things real cold for a while if you put some frozen gatorade bottles in there.

I've made my own ice packs before, with some salt, and 90% rubbing alcohol mixed in a gatorade/2 liter bottle. Those stay liquid down to around -10 if you mix them right.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:18 PM

After rereading the darn web site information I don't think they would work for me. I'm trying to get away from an ice chest (weight, finding ice, spillage, etc) and was hoping that one of these would be the ticket. The problem is the fact that they don't get really cold. If it's 110 degrees here and that thing is sitting in the back of the 4runner while I'm fishing for 4 or 5 hours I don't think it'll be able to keep any fish that I catch "fresh" for the 3 hour drive home.

Maybe if one of the refurbished ones comes up I'll grab it just for kicks. I could always drop some frozen Gatorade in there like was mentioned.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Oh yeah, frozen Gatorade works pretty good too. I think it freezes around 20 degrees, which would be plenty to keep fish/drinks cold. And you can drink it when your done, or when it melts if you want. I've used one of the Coleman extreme coolers, and had good experiences with them. They say that it can keep ice for 5 days at 90 degrees, but the most I've got is around 3-4, which is still pretty good.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

just buy the ARB ya cheap skate...
Old 02-01-2010, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol wow i love the debate/argument going on about this subject... Well i see it as u pay wat u get and well i have one that my parents bought about 3 years ago and i still use it once in a while when on camping trips and it works great. Not sure of the brand but i no its not an ARB but it does wat i need it to. My advice to u is if ur on a budget and u think itll work for ur situation then go for it.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
just buy the ARB ya cheap skate...
Can't. I just bought a front 4.56 diff with a lockrite in it, will also be getting a twin stick for the t-case if I think I can install it myself.

Is your rig still down?
Old 02-01-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by xskydivingdudex
My advice to u is if ur on a budget and u think itll work for ur situation then go for it.
I'll keep an eye on the website and if any of the less expensive ones show up I'll snag one to try. I just don't want to ruin a mess of fish if it won't keep them cold enough before I can get them to the freezer.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

You're only out $60 if it gets stolen, or broken, or something...

$850 is just a tad too high for a fridge. I like the ARB, but not the price.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned

I didn't pay anywhere near $850 for my ARB, maybe $600 or something on a close out model iirc. Yes, still expensive but worth it IMO if you use a cooler a lot.

Yes, it was hard to shell out that kind of money, but after I got it and have used it, it is well worth it. It has a 120 v plug plus a car 12v plug so you can use it or take it anywhere. I have used it way more than just wheeling. Compared to those other 12v "coolers" the ARB makes them bring the suck.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Can't. I just bought a front 4.56 diff with a lockrite in it, will also be getting a twin stick for the t-case if I think I can install it myself.

Is your rig still down?
uuughhhh...have you SEEN my snorkel thread...

Oh!! I wanna see how that twin stick goes, I've been oogling that idea for a LONG time!!
Old 02-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I used to run one of those, worked reasonably OK for fall-spring trips with temps under 70. But in hotter weather it just did not keep things cool enough. Also, you need to have them plugged in 24 hours a day to stay cold, so figure ~4 amps draw all night long, will drain a good sized battery or two over a long night. I now have an ARB and it is so much nicer. Only pulls about 1 amp average. For cooler weather, I'll just run it to the verge of freezing then unplug it over night and it'll stay cold in the morning. Or in hotter weather, leave it plugged in all night long. I run mine off of a 12 volt power pack that in turn is plugged into a light socket. The power pack (~24 AH rating) will run the fridge for about 1 day and saves wear and tear on the main battery(ies).

And I actually find uses for the ARB fridge around the house, too. When I need to defrost my main freezer, I can fill the ARB with the frozen food and keep it frozen for a day until the freezer defrosts. Also use it when brining a turkey for thanksgiving, can keep the turkey cold in a bag full fo brine for a day or two before throwing on the BBQ. Plus if there is ever a major power outage, I can move the food from the refrigerator to the ARB and keep it cold with some solar panels.

Also use mine on regular road trips, cooler in the vehicle during the day, then take it into the motel room at night to plug into the wall. I think I got mine on sale for around $600.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 02-02-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
uuughhhh...have you SEEN my snorkel thread...
No I haven't. Is it that bad??

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
I used to run one of those, worked reasonably OK for fall-spring trips with temps under 70. But in hotter weather it just did not keep things cool enough. Also, you need to have them plugged in 24 hours a day to stay cold, so figure ~4 amps draw all night long, will drain a good sized battery or two over a long night. I now have an ARB and it is so much nicer. Only pulls about 1 amp average. For cooler weather, I'll just run it to the verge of freezing then unplug it over night and it'll stay cold in the morning. Or in hotter weather, leave it plugged in all night long. I run mine off of a 12 volt power pack that in turn is plugged into a light socket. The power pack (~24 AH rating) will run the fridge for about 1 day and saves wear and tear on the main battery(ies).

And I actually find uses for the ARB fridge around the house, too. When I need to defrost my main freezer, I can fill the ARB with the frozen food and keep it frozen for a day until the freezer defrosts. Also use it when brining a turkey for thanksgiving, can keep the turkey cold in a bag full fo brine for a day or two before throwing on the BBQ. Plus if there is ever a major power outage, I can move the food from the refrigerator to the ARB and keep it cold with some solar panels.
Great info there but I just can't afford a new one and I haven't seen any ARB's for sale used.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

No I haven't. Is it that bad??
ugh, not bad...just ONGOING...lol

Quick Reply: Less expensive 12 volt cooler.