Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

John Muir Trail backpacking suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Muir Trail backpacking suggestions?

I'm gearing up to hike the John Muir Trail this summer. Time constraints only allow me to take 10-14 days off so that means I can only do a segment of it (probably only 80-100 miles). I'm looking for suggestions/advice/comments from any YT'ers who have hiked the trail (or portions of it) as to which part I should hike, how to prepare and what to expect. I'd rather stay away from the crowded Yosemite section so maybe the southern portion? I need to put my reservation in next month since wilderness permits are in high demand. The park service requires the trailhead at which I will be starting my hike. Any info would be appreciated.

Some info about the trail for those interested:
http://johnmuirtrail.org/

For the most part, it is a 211 mile trail in the high sierras. A majority of it parallels a portion of the Pacific Crest Trail:

***MODS*** feel free to move to appropriate section if necessary

Last edited by okie81; 01-04-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:36 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
looks like fun. Only advice I have is condition your feet.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A fun way is to head south to Mt Whitney and egress at Whitney Portal (http://lurkertech.com/jmt/)
Old 01-05-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
looks like fun. Only advice I have is condition your feet.
Any suggestions other than just getting out and hiking a lot beforehand?

Originally Posted by Mountain Cop
A fun way is to head south to Mt Whitney and egress at Whitney Portal (http://lurkertech.com/jmt/)
Looks like that's coming in from Bubb's Creek, how's is the scenery on that piece? I'd love to ascend Whitney but the permit process is a mess (a lottery actually).
Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 AM

The scenery is some of the best I've ever hiked. Forester pass is pretty cool.

As far as the permits go, is that something new? I last hiked Whitney about 15 years ago (A point which I hadn't realized before. Where did all these grey hairs come from?), and I recall quite a few people up at the top. They seemed to be trying to limit the heavy traffic from Whitney Portal, but the traffic from the back side where we approached was pretty sparse. There is a cool little natural hot tub along the west side that few people know about. I'm not even sure I could find it again.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
keep the toe nails trimmed, keep feet powdered/dry, have great socks/boots, a decent pack and lots of food/water and get some of this stuff: http://www.2toms.com/ I've used it for marathons and backpacking, etc... I get blisters pretty easy when I'm not training hard but with the blistershield powder, no problems at all. If you chaffe in the 'crotch-er-al' region as anchorman says, get the sports shield from them, feels like teflon dry lube on your skin and lasts forever. Last time I ordered from them, there was a $25 min order but I still have some left from an old order like 7 yrs ago. you won't find this stuff anywhere, they are strictly online

Biggest thing is to STOP before you get a full on hot spot and fix it! moleskin, powder, whatever you have, don't let it build up and get worse and worse. sounds like common sense but I've done it a million times, trying to tough thru it when you don't need to.

have fun!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mountain Cop
The scenery is some of the best I've ever hiked. Forester pass is pretty cool.

As far as the permits go, is that something new? I last hiked Whitney about 15 years ago (A point which I hadn't realized before. Where did all these grey hairs come from?), and I recall quite a few people up at the top. They seemed to be trying to limit the heavy traffic from Whitney Portal, but the traffic from the back side where we approached was pretty sparse. There is a cool little natural hot tub along the west side that few people know about. I'm not even sure I could find it again.
From what I've heard, crowding and permit demand resulted in a reservation lottery during the peak season. If I decided to tackle Whitney, it will definately be from a western approach to avoid the crowds that you mentioned.
I've been looking at coming in at Kearsage Pass (which is near Bubb's Creek but an eastern entry) and going northward to the Bishop Pass/Muir Ranch Area. The two points I really want to see are Rae Lakes and Evolution Valley.
Originally Posted by aa1911
Biggest thing is to STOP before you get a full on hot spot and fix it! moleskin, powder, whatever you have, don't let it build up and get worse and worse. sounds like common sense but I've done it a million times, trying to tough thru it when you don't need to.
This is going to be a challenge for me too; thinking "marathon" instead of "sprint". Pacing myself has been difficult in the past; the last time was during a 7 day trek in which I burned out on day 5. I was making great time, but it was negated by a recovery that held me up for a day. I'll check out 2-toms though, thanks!

Last edited by okie81; 01-05-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:42 PM

for what it's worth, cheese has the highest protein/calorie count per weight than almost any other food... bring a brick of cheddar!

lots of good carbs during the day and plenty of proteins/fats in addition at night. hydration is the absolute key though, fluids + electrolytes will pull you thru more than anything else.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:44 PM

Think I may need a new tent for this trip since my current one is too small for my cohort and I.

Narrowed it down to a REI Quarter Dome UL3 or a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3

Quarter Dome is 4lbs 11oz and the Big Agnes weighs in at...get this....4lbs 3oz!!!

I went to REI and priced them out this evening, $299 for the quarter dome and $499 for the Big Agnes! I don't know if 8oz is worth an extra $200; ask me that again 50 miles into the hike...

REI Quarter Dome UL3

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3

Last edited by okie81; 01-05-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:02 PM

Make sure you have a good set of boots that fit properly and are broken in already. I work at REI and slippage in the heal, and your toes hitting the front of the boot while on a decent are the most common things to pay attention to. As far as boots go i would say stick with Asolo's, Marrell's, or Keen's......And if possible get a boot that has a Vibram sole!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 PM

I know, I'm kind of an extremist.... but 4 lbs for a tent? How much does your pack weigh (dry)?

I used to carry all that stuff, 30 lb + packs and everything, with stout boots and tough materials. THEN, I read that each pound on your feet wears on you like five on your back... and that started something. I hiked across the Sierras from west to east last summer (not really that far. Your planned hike is longer), and my pack weighed right at 20lbs, with water. A tent isn't needed in the summer, when a good bag and a light tarp will do. The less weight you take, the less your pack has to carry, and the less pack you have to take. Generally, the heaviest thing you take is simply the device used to take everything else! If you can cut weight in backpack, tent and bag, you will be able to enjoy yourself more, sleep better, and be able to stand upright to see the scenery! I don't worry about blisters, because I use lightweight trail running shoes. I admit that I am pushing the edge of conventional backpacking, but I no longer take a tent or a sleeping bag. I made my own sleeping quilt and love it. My stove weighs 3 ounces, and I paid $.97 for the bottle of rubbing alcohol fuel that I only partially used the last time I was out. I am easily more comfortable now than I was when I was 15 and carrying everything I could fit in the pack.

Take a look at www.rayjardine.com . He is a bit more extreme than I am, but in a lot of respects, he is right. His logical approach to outdoor personal travel made me rethink everything that I had always done.

It isn't for everyone, but I'm not looking back.

/rant off.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:11 AM

I have the quarter dome 3, and love it. My son and I will break it, the rain cover, and ground tarp down between us, and it is only a few pounds a piece. Trim all the weight you can, oz add into pounds. First needs XL is the only water purifier on the market. All the rest are filters. The first needs also screws to the top of a nalgeen bottle. I use only one hard nalgeen, and the rest are soft sided nalgeen canteens. as you empty them the don't take up volume in your pack. and are much lighter. get as comfortable sleeping mat as you can, it may be a little big, and a few oz more, but at night 10, your back will thank you for it. Hard bakers choc holds up real well, and is good for you.

I used to be in the infantry USMC, a lot of time on your feet. I used rubbing alcohol every day on feet. Makes your skin like leather, and really helps to avoid blisters. Change your socks a lot, and tie them to the outside of your pack so they can dry in between changes. lots of powder all around. And wash everyday. you can wash your whole body in a half canteen cup of water. Infections can start fast, and really make a trip miserable.

Good luck to you, I wish I could get out west for a trip like that.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:03 AM

I light where this thread is going...

Target pack weight is around 25-30 lbs.

@spc mike: I've been looking at a pair of Zamberlain's, a few people have recommended them. The guy at REI hinted that I should stay away from Keen; he said they make their own sole and it isn't as good as the vibram. I've been hiking with trail running shoes like Mountain Cop mentioned, but I'm wondering if something with a little more shock absorption will help with my knees (aka my weakest link). My New Balance trail shoes are pretty damn light though, but I guess it's a comprimise.
I'm looking into trekking poles too.

@Mountain Cop: 20 pounds is amazing, I'm really trying to concentrate on pack weight, find a good number, and stick to it. I'd like to find a good middle-ground between minimalist (Ray Jardine style) and Ultralight. I'll have the girlfriend with me too so that limits the amount of "roughing" it per se. Like yourself, I'd had my trips with 40+ lb packs and I'll never do that again. Once you have a 20-30 lb pack on your back, you never turn back and paying extra for lighter/compact things begins to sound more reasonable.

@TinMan: looking at what I used to pack, it's amazing how all those small things add up to pounds. When I'm on the trail, I always think about our armed servicemen back in the day and how they had to lug around huge amounts of weight without the luxury of ultralight gear and equipment.

WrightSocks seem to work well for me with blisters. They're double layer socks that are guaranteed not to blister. The downfall is that you go through them really fast, I mean like 2-3 pairs in a hike like this.
http://www.wrightsock.com/
Old 01-06-2011, 08:36 AM

I never tent when I'm by myself, a poncho hooch or a gortex bivvy sac is all I need but the tent is really nice with more people to split the weight, or when family camping.
20-30 lbs is amazing I think, I always wind up with like 60lbs of crap or more, I need to try some lighter packs, especially in the cascades here...

For socks, I have been using Wigwam's Ingenious socks, nothing better on the face of this planet IMO! they are no longer 'Ingenious', they are now just Wigwam socks but I've been wearing them every day for 10 years now and still wear the original pairs I bought in the beginning, they are just now starting to get thin and get some holes. They aren't cheap but nothing worth having is! I just got some newer ones and they are still fantastic. I used them overseas in Afghan, every backpacking trip and even on my Mt Rainier climb this year, they are warm, wick moisture and are great at preventing hot spots.

Here's a tip I got a long time ago from a friend and it really makes sense when you think about it. Socks are made backwards! that's right, or inside out I should say. They market them as seen because they look 'pretty' when you don't see fuzzy stuff. try them inside out, you will be amazed at how much better they are!

Ok, that was more of my 2 cents... looks like this is now a 'Backpacking' thread! (Which I think is cool)
Old 01-06-2011, 08:41 AM

One more thing I want to add, I just started using trek poles this year as I thought they were kinda hippie but they are fantastic. My knees are shot and the trek poles take a lot more weight off of your joints then one would think, I would highly recommend an economical set of poles, they can be had pretty cheap now.

Also for socks, try some thin 'dress' socks under your regular socks, that makes a huge (and wonderful) difference...
Old 01-06-2011, 09:30 AM

IMO the Smart Wool Heavy cushion Trekking socks dominate.

Last edited by spc mike; 05-06-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:14 PM

Funny thing about this modern military. They keep adding 5 more lbs of light weight gear. Last time i checked 5 lbs of light weight gear still weighs 5 lbs.

Ray Jardines books rule, and could be a valuable resourse for the military.

Trekking poles rule. Just spend the money for the lightest but strongest set you can afford.

Realistic pack weight for me on a cool weather trip is around 35 lbs.
Later

Last edited by TinMan; 01-06-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:23 PM

Yeah, cool weather bumps it up a little.

I've been meaning to get some trekking sticks myself, for tarp poles and other tasks. Any suggestions for a nice light set?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:40 AM

I'm not too keen on treking poles either. Having never worked with them before, I figured i'll find a couple sturdy sticks and see how they work out...then graduate to a professional set later.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by okie81
Any suggestions other than just getting out and hiking a lot beforehand?
How far are you going to hike a day? How much weight are you going to carry? Style of boot? Have you fiured out where the hotspots are? Thought I had a link on foot toughening but not.

Didn't read post since my last.

Quick Reply: John Muir Trail backpacking suggestions?