Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

DIY Tailgate Bike Rack/Pad How To (1st-2nd gen + any pickup)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb DIY Tailgate Bike Rack/Pad How To (1st-2nd gen + any pickup)

I wanted a tailgate pad for my first gen 4runner for transporting bikes. I made this wrap out of a chunk of carpet from the hardware store.

Materials:
  • 6ft x 5ft piece of outdoor or utility carpet. I needed about 4'2" for the 4runner tailgate but they only sell it in whole feet. $15
  • Grommet kit $7
  • Piece of paracord

Steps:
1: Measure the width of the tailgate. Measure the circumference (like all the way around). Cut the carpet into a big rectangle

2: Start trying to thread the carpet through the gap under the tailgate. Figure out where the constrictions are. On my 4runner there is a sprung wire that comes up in the middle and a cable routing on the driver's side. Trim out the spots you need to clear with a razor.

3. Keep putting the carpet through and finding it's happy spot then cut out holes for the lock, handle, license plate. Doctor up the edges so it fits. I'm not going to try and make a template, you just gotta mark and trim till you're happy and have something like this:

4: Punch some grommets into it. I used 4 per side. More would get you a tighter fit without bunching.

5. Wrap it around then lace it up. I used a regular cross-lace and it's bunchy. I'm going to go back and do more of a square-lace and see how it works.

Throw your bike in! You can use tie downs over the rear wheels, lock the bikes to the rollbar, whatever you want to do to secure them. They fit pretty tight though. I fit 5 bikes and 5 dudes in my truck and shuttled a local trail. Could maybe squeeze 6 bikes. You can use this even with the top on (or 2nd and maybe 3rd gen [i don't know when toyota stopped doing bonafide tailgates on the 4rnr]). You might need 2 people. Have someone hold the tailgate halfway up, load the bikes, then shut it. It probably won't hold more than 3-4 and you will probably have to lower or remove the bike saddles. Same deal if you have a pick-up with a topper. This rack works equally well with mountain, road, cruisers, or whatever bike your ridin'.

Thing's I'd do differently:
  • More grommets for less bunching
  • Try and get the split closer to the bottom of the tailgate-meets-bed area. I don't think trying to hide the grommets in the jamb is a good idea, could scratch the paint or not close right.
  • Cut up a piece of closed cell foam or other padding for the top of the tailgate. More to protect the bikes than protect the truck.

Last edited by derockus; 06-18-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Nice!!