Photography/Cameras Camera and photography advice

2010 GoPro HD Camera Review

Old 11-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 GoPro HD Camera Review

First, Google this new camera, as there are a few other more detailed and better reviews out there than mine

I started looking into helmet cams shortly after I got back into mountain biking this summer after taking more than a decade off from it.
Lot of cams on the market, and the little GoPro Hero Wide caught my eye.
But soon I saw in the Internet that they were coming out with a brand new camera that would shoot in true HD, so I held off getting one of the older ones or a model from another company.

Some beta testers have had the new HD cams in their lucky hands for awhile now.
But I signed up early when I saw on GoPros website to order now and get in line for when they were ready for final shipping.
Mine came earlier this week, I was lucky to get in line early.

A few thoughts on this new camera:
It is small!
* Very compact for helmet wearing or for the chest mount strap which will be my preferred method of shooting videos.
This is because my helmet will have a bike light on top in addition to one on the handlebars.
* If you are use to a nice menu driven window on a regular digital camera, this is not that way.
It is a small non backlit LCD screen with limited text to interrupt for your settings.
But if you read the manual, you do read them right you should get use to the menus.
* If not using it where it needs to be 100% waterproof such as watersports, take off the rear housing of the case and use the included one that has vents in it to pick up the audio better.
Before on a few trail vids my voice was muffled, and using the other backing with the vents will allow your voice and other sounds to come through.
They do say if you are going to be going 100+ MPH, then put the waterproof backing plate on.
For some reason it picks up sounds better that way.
I will not be taking my mountain bike up to that speed, so the vented backing will remain in place.

By default the camera turns on each time by the way you set it up in the menu.
For me I will leave it on video mode.
At this point in time I have not decided which video mode to run it in.

Here are a few pictures of just unpacking it.

My Windows Movie Maker will not import a MP4 video, and after Googling it, it seems Movie Maker can not import that type of file.
You can get conversion software, but I have not had much luck today, so I am trying a trail version of Adobe Premier.
If I like it, I will end up buying it so future videos can be edited with text, transitions, music, the same as I did before with Movies Window Maker for the videos I shot with my Sony digital camera.

Here is the first video I shot with it in the dark using the chest strap to compare two bike lights I have.
Clicking the x in the lower right of the player will play it full screen in this thread, no need to open up a new window like you do with YouTube to get the video full size.
Video shot at 1280x960 (960P) at 4:3 ratio.
This fills in the top and bottom of the screen, but leaves gaps at the side.
But you get more vertical coverage this way.
http://www.vimeo.com/7610189

I upgraded my Vimeo account to a Plus account to be able to upload more than one HD movie per week, and they are also better quality than a normal video.
Here is a video uploaded using my new Plus account, and also the camera is set to the highest setting of 1080P at 16:9 ratio instead of the 960 setting of the video above which is a 4:3 ratio.
Video shot at 1920x1080 (1080P) at 16:9 ratio.
This fills in the sides of the screen, but leaves gaps at the top and bottom, much like a DVD will on an HD TV.

http://www.vimeo.com/7613476

Here are a few undoctored pictures shot at the 5 megapixel setting of the camera.
I use Piscasa 3 for all my other pics from my cameras to edit them, but left these raw pics untouched.
The thumbs will turn into from 2.2 MB to 2.6 MB at a resolution of 2592x1944.
The camera only takes them at this resolution which is pretty good for getting detailed shots.
That squirrel and his buddies have been packing leaves for several days off the ground and up to the roof of our units.
He climbs the tree then jumps to the eaves, then climbs inside.
I am afraid we will have to have the eaves torn apart later.

Overall I am very impressed with the GoPro HD camera for the way it captures both video and pictures in low light.
I hope to get a lot of use out of this camera mountain biking and perhaps 4wheeling too with a suction mount for the camera to put on the dash or fender.
If you are looking for the ultimate sports wearable camera, I think you will be very impressed with it.

GoPro
HD helmet camera
HD sample videos
Chest Mount Harness

Here are all the specs on the new GoPro HD camera.
From the Manufacturer
Developed for the consumer and proven by professionals, GoPro's all-new HD HERO cameras are the world's most advanced line of waterproof, full HD 1080p cameras designed to be used during sports. With amazing clarity, stability, and slow-motion capabilities, these cameras record your sport's most exciting moments in professional quality HD video and automatically-captured 5 megapixel still photos. HD HERO products can shoot video or photos from your point-of-view, mounted on your helmet, body, car, motorcycle, surfboard, or other equipment. And GoPro's 170° wide-angle lens (the industry's widest) even lets you take shots of yourself during your activity. All captured hands-free, while you stay focused on your activity.

The HD Helmet HERO is the action sports model in the line, developed for skiing, snowboarding, biking, skating, swimming, kayaking, and other high-intensity activities. This product incorporates not only the HD HERO camera itself, but also the mounting hardware you need to mount the camera securely to virtually any helmet, whether vented (such as bicycle helmets) or non-vented (such as winter sports and climbing helmets). It also contains a head strap that allows you to wear the camera like a headlamp so you can easily share the camera with friend. Additional curved and flat surface mounts let you mount the camera on your favorite gear, and the quick-release design allows you to easily reposition the camera to capture multiple views.

Originally designed for the consumer market, GoPro's wearable cameras have garnered praise from professional athletes as well as film and TV producers who demand convenience and performance from their filming equipment. The HD HERO line produces higher quality HD video than action sports cameras costing ten times as much, and as a result many video segments you see in action sports film and TV today are shot on GoPro cameras. As the 1 maker of wearable sports cameras in the world, GoPro has years of experience in developing cameras and mounting accessories for the most hardcore of sports. As a result, GoPro has won many coveted awards, including Motorcyclist magazine's prestigious "2009 Product of the Year" award and the "Editors' Choice Award" from both Popular Mechanics and Backpacker Magazine.

In the end, GoPro's HD Helmet HERO adds so much to your enjoyment of your favorite activities that arriving home to watch your footage is almost as much fun as the activity itself. Here are some of the highlights:

Professional 1080p HD Video that Looks Great Even on a 52" TV
Truly professional quality video that delivers the clarity and excitement you see on TV or in films. HD quality so good, GoPro's cameras are used regularly by both professional athletes and film and TV production companies around the world. See the quality for yourself in these sample videos: click here.

Easy to Use
Turn the camera on and press the shutter button. Shooting your own HD action sports video is that simple thanks to the HD Helmet HERO's user-friendly default settings. Upgraded controls such as brighter LED icons and louder status beeps make the camera easier-to-use than ever.

Widest Range of Video & Photo Capabilities
For the more technically-inclined user looking for the latest in technology and options, the HD Helmet HERO offers a remarkable range of video and photo modes, giving you more creative control:

* 1080p – "True HD" video at 30 frames per second produces maximum clarity and realism. To put it in perspective, 1080p video at 30 frames per second is the equivalent of shooting thirty 2-megapixel photos per second. Incredible realism you're used to seeing only in the movies. The viewing area becomes a slightly less-wide (127º) at this resolution, wide angle view, making 1080p a slightly less wide-angle view than the other resolutions. Perfect for in-car filming, for example, where you might want to focus more on objects in the distance than up close. It's like having two lenses in one camera.
* 960p – "Maximum Wide Angle" video at 30 frames per second. Certain sports like motocross, mountain biking, and skiing require maximum viewing area to capture your speed and technique. This 960p mode offers 25% more vertical viewing area at the top and bottom of the screen than other resolutions, so you can see more of your bike and handlebars beneath you, your knees and skis while you hammer the moguls, or a more of the trail and horizon ahead. Document more of you and your surroundings with 960p for the most immersive video possible.
* 720p – "Slow-motion Cinema" is possible thanks to the HD Helmet HERO's incredibly smooth 60 frames per second 720p video. 720p (1280 x 720p) can record in either standard 30 frames per second or 60 frames per second. While 30 frames per second pleases the eye, 60 frames per second straight blows the mind when played back in liquid smooth slow motion. Everything looks good in slow motion...including you.

Rich, Realistic Color with Fast Automatic Exposure Adjustment
The HD Helmet HERO combines the industry's leading DSP technology (digital signal processor) with cutting edge sensor technology to bring you the richest, most natural color available in a wearable sports camera. This powerful combination also results in the fastest automatic exposure adjustment of any wearable camera. This means you can move back and forth quickly between bright and dark settings (like sunshine and shadows on a trail) and still achieve smooth exposure adjustments that give your videos a professional look.

Professional Sound that Automatically Adjusts to your Environment
The best sound quality of any wearable camera, period. Professional quality sound with AGC (automatic gain control) tuned for action sports and motorsports. With the ability to reduce the sound of wind noise at high speeds, the HD HERO line of cameras are simply the best sounding wearable sports cameras available. Fully automatic with no manual settings or adjustments needed, the camera will adjust the sound level automatically to maintain and optimum sound recording.

Also includes an optional non-waterproof back door that can be used in activities where waterproofness is not needed. This feature allows more sound into the protective housing, resulting in fuller, more immersive soundtracks. That said, the AGC (automatic gain control) does an excellent job of automatically increasing the microphone's sensitivity to provide impressive sound even when the camera is sealed in the waterproof housing with the waterproof back door.

Trademark Video Stability, only from GoPro
GoPro is famous for producing cameras that record extremely stable video. Video that is smooth even at highest speeds and during the most intense sports. The HD Helmet HERO takes GoPro's obsession with stable video to the next level, keeping the action amazingly stable with no wobble or "jello-cam" shakiness that plagues other wearable HD cameras. See for yourself in these sample videos: click here.

Shoot 5 megapixel Photos Automatically, a Feature Available only from GoPro
GoPro's HD HERO products are the only wearable sports cameras to offer automatic photo-taking modes, making hands-free photo capture a reality. You'll be amazed at the in-action photos you'll capture thanks to an ability to shoots a photo every 2, 5, 10, 30 or 60 seconds, automatically. Other photo modes include traditional single shot, triple shot and self-timer modes, making the HD Helmet HERO the only camera you need to document not only the most active moments of your life...but also the more relaxed moments where a traditional photo is what you want. You'll also appreciate the edge to edge sharpness of the 170º wide angle lens as well as the HD Helmet HERO's terrific low light performance (1.4 lux).

Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery lasts 2.5 Hours, Heater Included
The included 1100mAh Lithium-Ion battery lasts 2.5 hours and is rechargeable through any USB port. You can charge it with your computer or with any USB compatible wall or car charger. You can even use the camera while the battery is charging, convenient for filming road trips where you might leave the camera running for long periods of time. A second battery can be added to the back of the camera, doubling the battery life to 5 hours (see Battery Bakpac under Optional Accessories, below). AC/DC wall outlet and car cigarette lighter-based chargers are also available from GoPro.

For colder temperatures, an integrated battery heater helps keep the battery warm during winter sports, extending recording times beyond what's possible with other camera systems.

Largest Storage Capacity of Any Wearable Camera: 32GB Capacity for 9+ Hours
Using up to a 32 GB SD card (not included) allows for 9+ hours of HD video or thousands of still photos when using the automatic photo mode. Also works with smaller 2, 4, 8, and 16GB SD cards. Write speed does not affect the performance of the camera, though GoPro does recommend using only well known, name-brand SD cards for maximum reliability.

Industry's Widest Angle Lens (170º) Now Shoots 127º Wide Angle, Too
A sharp wide angle lens is critical to capturing the raw excitement of action sports – not only to capture the scenery flying by, but also to get your ski tips, handlebars, and the horizon in the frame to give you a sense of speed and adrenaline. GoPro's cameras are famous for their wide angle lenses, the widest, sharpest, and highest performance lenses available in any wearable sports camera. Plus, when mounted on equipment, the 170º lens is wide enough to capture yourself in the scene, to really record your exploits. But this is no "fisheye"…you'll see remarkably little distortion, despite the wide angle.

Unique to the HD HERO line of cameras is the ability to shoot in both 170º and 127º wide angle modes. The 960p and 720p video modes utilize the full170º wide angle, while a lesser wide angle view of 127º is possible in the 1080p video resolution. This gives you more creative control and the opportunity to capture the action with different "lenses"...making for a more professional looking video. In reality, the lens is the same but the processing power of the HD HERO camera makes this convenient feature a reality.

Professional image quality, edge to edge sharpness, and the industry's best distance focus makes for exceptionally clear HD videos and photos.

Shockproof / Waterproof (180' / 60m) Housing Protects Camera from the Environment
Polycarbonate shockproof, waterproof housing protects the camera from rocks, rain, snow, and on dives down as deep as 180' (60m). Proven in the giant surf around the world from Hawaii to Tahiti, Mexico to Northern California, you can be sure the housing will protect your HD HERO camera during even the most extreme of water-sports. Stainless steel buttons allow the camera to be fully operated when inside the housing, even with gloves on.

Optional Accessories Available in Early 2010, Compatible with all HD HERO Cameras
A HERO BUS expansion port on the back of the camera allows you to click in expansion "Bakpac" modules allowing for add-on features, including:

* LCD Bakpac, a click-on LCD screen attaches to the back of the camera, allowing for instant preview / review of your footage as you capture it.
* Battery Bakpac, a click-in secondary battery allows for 2.5 hours more recording time, for a total of 5 hours recording time between charging batteries. Can also be used as a wall charger for additional HD HERO Lithium-Ion batteries.

Major Upgrades from Earlier Models
The HD HERO line's many upgrades from the earlier standard-definition WIDE HERO include:

* Three HD video resolution modes: 1080p, 960p, and 720p.
* WVGA wide screen standard definition video at 60 frames per second
* Shoots up to 60 frames/second for slow motion playback in WVGA and 720p resolutions
* Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery with 2.5 hours of record time
* Camera can be powered by car or wall charger, battery will charge while recording
* Support for up to 32GB SD cards, 9+ hours of HD video recording
* Professional sound system with for great sound in high wind environments.
* Improved low light performance for both video and photo modes
* Dual wide angle views now available: 127º in 1080p, 170º in 960p and 720p.
* Brighter status LED and louder status beep for easier controlling of camera
* HERO BUS expansion port for adding LCD screen, extra battery, etc.
* Waterproof depth rating is increased from 100' / 30m to 180' / 60m

HD Helmet HERO Includes Versatile Mounting Hardware for Helmets, Body, and Gear
The HD Helmet HERO's camera mounting hardware has been proven at the highest levels of sport. It's been worn by more world record setting athletes than any other wearable camera, including by two time "Highest Jump on a Motorcycle" world record holder Ronnie Renner, and the "Highest Jump on a BMX Bicycle" world record holder. GoPro's camera mounts have been proven in the heaviest waves in Hawaii, Tahiti, Mexico, and Northern California...used by professional surfers looking to document their most heroic moments in giant surf. Industrial-grade 3M brand adhesive tape used on the flat and curved mounts can be removed if desired. This all means you can mount your HD Helmet HERO camera with confidence. The HD Helmet HERO comes with:

* 5 Megapixel HD HERO Camera
* 1 Waterproof Quick-Release Housing (180'/60 m)
* 1 Rechargeable 1100 mAh Lithium-Ion Battery
* 2 curved surface 3M® adhesive mounts for attaching camera to non-vented helmets and gear with curved surfaces
* 2 flat surface 3M® adhesive mounts for mounting camera on gear with flat surfaces
* 1 vented helmet strap for vented helmets including bike, ski, skate, and kayak helmets, for example
* 1 three-way pivoting arm for mounting on the side of helmets and gear. Provides full range of adjustability when mounting camera in more complex positions
* 1 headlamp-style head strap, can also stretch over helmets allowing for sharing of camera and experimenting on different helmets prior to mounting with adhesive mounts
* 2 Quick-Release Buckles
* 1 USB Cable
* 1 Component Video (HDTV) Cable
* 1 Composite Video + Audio Out Cable

* Professional-grade full HD video up to 1080p
* 60 frames per second option in 720p and WVGA resolutions provides liquid smooth slow motion playback. 30 frames per second recording option available in all HD resolutions (720p, 960p and 1080p)
* Videos can be easily edited with iMovie or Windows Movie Maker
* Industry’s widest angle (170º) and sharpest lens captures more of the scene, including you. 127º wide angle viewing area in 1080p provides a different perspective
* Includes easy to apply mounts for attaching camera to virtually all helmets, as well as to gear and body. Impact-resistant housing is waterproof to 180 ft (60 meters)
Old 11-14-2009, 12:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
nice write up! cant wait to see some biking vids....can't wait to get mine either!!
Old 11-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
lost me after the first sentence looks pretty sweet
Old 11-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great writeup and demo, thanks! That thing is much smaller than I imagined.

Very exciting technology. Also, YouTube just announced that they will accept 1080p.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:53 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Bob.
Here is another really great review that I saw linked over at MTBR.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/16/g...-cam-face-off/

Your camera should be coming soon right?

Check out the clarity of the GoPro HD in this video.
Looks like it was shot at either the 720P or the 1080P setting since it is widescreen.
The 960P setting fills in all the way vertically.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

Corey, I didn't order yet. I completely forgot that annual property taxes were due last Monday so I'm short. I still shoot and render HDV but my Sony wouldn't survive in a GoPro role!

Also my higher priority is a new computer to render HD faster. I'm going with Windows 7 Pro and an i-series quad core chip and lots of ram that should be good for upcoming streaming HD video. Black Friday is the day! Waiting to pounce on either a Dell or HP coupon for online purchases.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Cool, new PCs are fun.
Mine is still going strong that I built two years ago Christmas.
The only thing I will do to it is to put in a better gaming card later on.
The one I bought was top of the line back when I built this.

Took the GoPro to work today, quite a few liked it.

Wish the weather would break here for a weekend so I can ride and shoot some night time vids showing the lights.
We have one storm after another lined up off the coast hitting us here.
I was blown all over the freeway coming home from work.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Your commute would've been an interesting video!

I have a PC about the same age as yours. It was a monster at the time and still measures in the Top 10% on PC Pitstop. I'll still use it.

But for HD rendering I'm getting a dedicated box so I can multitask and not worry about dropped frames, etc., and for the clean Win 7 installation.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Another video uploaded just now.
Testing out another GoPro HD video shot at the maximum setting of 1920x1080P with a helmet mount.
I have the chest strap mount, but I wanted to test the helmet mount as I have not tried it before.

The video was shot around 6 am PST today before sun up, and the camera does not do a great job in the dark.
I did not expect it to though since it does not have an onboard lighting system of its own.

I had on my Airbike P7 helmet light, and a MagicShine P7 light on the handlebars.
Both put out an estimated 550 lumens or so, and they light up the road quite well, more so than the camera was able to pick up.

Two lights like this are great for trail riding or the street.
Wish the camera was able to pick up more of what my eyes were seeing.

I might take a ride later today or another day and ride the same short route in daylight to see how the camera picks up when it is light out.

My head was quite heavy with both the camera and light up there.
The battery was in my pants pocket.

I will be adding another MagicShine head to the handlebars and using a Y cable to hook both lights to one battery.
I hear this cuts the running time on high down to an hour or so instead of the normal 3+ hours on high.

For now, here is the video shot in the dark.
Click the x in the right corner to play full screen.

http://vimeo.com/7880442

I will have to review a daytime video shot with the helmet cam to see whether or not I should be switching to the 960P setting where it fills the screen in vertically, but will leave bars at the side when viewed on a widescreen monitor like I run at home.
If you run a normal square type monitor, vids shot at either settings should fill the whole screen.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Omg these things are sick... I want one so bad now!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:01 AM

i just ordered one... should be here on the 4th!!!! you sold me.... LOL... and that ski video... that thing is awesome
Old 07-31-2010, 08:10 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

They are very high quality.
I am taking mine camping in a weeks for a camping trip.
I bought it mainly for mountain biking, but where I am going (Mt. Rainier) there will not be much riding there.
I am going there to hike the trails to see nature.

Will see how any vids I take turn out though, and those vids will be in the trip report section.

Good luck with the camera, let us know how you like it.
The menu takes a bit to get adjusted to.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i need to get out again and ride my mountain bike. its been 1.5 years sense i road it.

been putting if off to do a full tare down and re lube.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:40 AM

Anyone done a fender-mount/rock-crawl with a GoPro? I'm looking to get one for the upcoming snow season and was curious is anyone has gotten creative in that realm yet.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:25 PM

Has anyone done a comparison against the contourHD?
Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

The LCD backpack is out at last.
http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/lcd-bacpac/

I ordered the new LCD gizmo, there is a two day delay in shipping.
I received the email yesterday from them that it was out finally, so I imagine they are bogged down with orders.

What I like best about the GoPro HD besides its small size is the quality of the videos in 1080 format.

This is the opening vid from their site.
Watch it full screen and in 1080 format.
You will probably have to click into the YouTube site to get it in 1080 HD format.
Babe alerts at two minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3M6...ayer_embedded#
Old 02-02-2011, 02:49 PM

Looks like that will be a nice little accessory. I'm always in question about certain shots: "Did I get it?" "How did it turn out?", etc. Maybe I should look into one as well.

I got the GoPro chest harness for Christmas, which I thought would be great for the "3rd Person" effect of snowboarding and mountain biking. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well for snowboarders since, unlike skiers, you're going down the slopes in a sideways orientation.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Glad you are liking your GoPro.

The LCD backpac arrived today, and I wasted no time in opening up the box (they package it just like the camera, very well) and getting it all unpacked.

I also did the firmware upgrade prior to installing the new LCD backpac.
They have two videos on the site which you must follow in order to update the firmware so the LCD backpac will work.

Here are a few pics, the first two show the box, and then all the parts laid out.
I will be using the non waterproof one as it records sound better.

The third picture shows my watch on the other side of the camera as seen via the video LCD live format.
I did not try it with it in photo mode, it may have been sharper.
Took the pictures with my Sony digital.

The cool thing about the LCD backpac is it now makes the GoPro HD act like a regular camera that has an LCD display on the back of it.
No more guessing if you are aiming the camera right/wrong when using it like a camera instead of mounted to something.

Also the menu for setup is now seen on the new LCD instead of the tiny LCD up front.
There is also more instructions seen on screen when going through the setup.

There is also a speaker on the side of the LCD backpac which is good for playing back your videos.

I am very impressed with it.

If you have not watched the opening video on GoPro's site, you gotta
Watch in it full 1080HD and full screen, and turn up the volume.
These little cameras are incredible.
Press play on the video below, and once it starts to play you will have the option to switch over to 1080HD mode, then hit full screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3M6EB8kmk
Old 02-07-2011, 07:09 PM

Looks pretty cool; the battery indicator is worth it alone.
So you swap out the back rear latch for a larger, more accommodating one. Have you tried attaching it to the headstrap mount? My concern being that the extension won't allow the camera to sit flush against the backing plate. Not a big deal for most people, but I use the headstrap a lot.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

You just swap out the rear door for one that is deeper.
Takes just a few seconds, and only adds the thickness of the LCD backpac to the camera.

The rear door is flush like the original one.
Have not tried a headstrap.
I only use the chest mount, and one time the helmet mount.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 GoPro HD Camera Review