Staging Area For Tech Article Submissions Got a tech article to submit? Post it here

A340H shifter solenoid and lock-up solenoid replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A340H shifter solenoid and lock-up solenoid replacement

Replaced the shifter solenoids and lock up solenoid today after getting code 62 for the #1 shifter solenoid, figured since I had all 3, I may as well do all of them (purchased from Ebay) Tired of pulling the transmission pan.

Remove front swaybar (mine was already off)

Drain the transmission fluid, make sure you have a big enough pan, and keep it handy because theres still about another 1-2 quarts in it between the filter and the pan after it stops flowing. ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

If you own a Toyota, and don't own a set of swivel sockets, you're missing out.

Remove all the pan bolts except 2 at the front side of the pan (opposite drain hole), get that drain pan underneath the drain hole again, loosen the last 2 bolts about half way, and pull the rear of the pan (drain hole side) down GENTLY until the rest of the fluid drains out.

Once its empty, put the drain screw back in, and remove the last 2 bolts. Be sure to have a hand on the trans pan when you take the last bolt out. pull the filler/dipstick line down, it should seperate about where its bolted down.

Last time I did this, I cleaned all the magnets, and the entire pan with brake cleaner and some rags. Cleaning the magnets are the hardest part.

From the front of the truck to the rear for the A340H transmission, it's the lock-up solenoid (GREEN) , #1 shifter solenoid (WHITE), and #2 shifter solenoid (BLUE). Be careful when disconnecting them at the harness, the lock in clips are pretty frail, if they do break off, it's no big deal, they stay in place once plugged in.

Directly underneath, top of photo is drivers side of the trans -

From the drivers side -

With these solenoids, they fit perfect. Only issue I had was the lock up solenoid where the electrical plug in is, when you are trying to mount it, it may rub against the case of the transmission, but it does fit perfectly. I also put a bit of ATF on each of the solenoid gaskets where they fit into the respective holes.

Wild guess that the 2 with the black nipple are the shifter solenoids, and the silver nipple is the lock up -

I didn't need to replace the filter, since I had replaced it 6 months ago - FYI ALOT OF FLUID IS STILL IN THE FILTER, ASK ME HOW I KNOW. Make sure you have that pan handy. And from what I've read, don't use any gasket sealer on the filter.

Now comes the hard part. Once you apply the gasket/sealer to the pan, and clean up the trans side where it seats, if you're looking up from underneath the truck, get the passenger side of the pan up and over the trans first, if you're doing this by yourself, holding the pan, trying to not touch the gasket with seal to anything, and trying to line up the filler pipe with the part thats still attached to the vehicle, fear not, you can unbolt the filler pipe later and re-align it, just worry about getting the pan lined up for now. Once everything looks good, hand thread one of the 19 trans bolts, preferably in any hole you can see through the gasket and just get it in enough so you can get more comfortable, and do the same thing on the opposite side so you can let go of the pan, continue the same step until you get all 19 in, and tighten them down evenly on each side to seat the pan.

If you're a normal person like myself and couldn't get the trans filler line to line up with the rest of it, there are 2 bolts holding the top portion of it on (the top one is the same size nut that the 19 trans pan bolts were) the lower is a 12mm if I remember correctly (horrible memory). It's easiest to go under the vehicle again to line up and seat the filler line to the trans line, once thats seated all the way down, put the bolt back in while your down there, don't tighten it all the way down until you put the top bolt in.

Also, make sure any transmission fluid laying around the garage isnt waste transmission oil you had laying around from the last time you did this. Luckily I only poured a small funnel full in, and as you've noticed, the trans holds alot of fluid. Depending if you replaced the filter also. I ended up putting around 5 quarts in. Don't forget to let it breathe while filling, ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

Last edited by xBEEFx; 04-17-2012 at 02:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xBEEFx:
bonznfc (07-25-2019), stomper4x4 (01-24-2024)