Staging Area For Tech Article Submissions Got a tech article to submit? Post it here

22r AFM upgrade to 5M-GE AFM

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r AFM upgrade to 5M-GE AFM

hey guys my name is tom. i live in Australia and i drift a 22r powered ra65 celica.
when looking for ways to make more power i stumbled upon info about using a 5m AFM. so i got to looking for one of these magical upgrade AFMs

with a big thanks to se7enine for finding these parts in US junkyards and shipping them here for me and also for answering some technical questions about this mod.

some presents arrived for the red dragon today!

a 1982 usdm ma61, 5m-ge AFM AND THROTTLE BODY!!!

the reason the model and year of ma61 is so specific is because i needed a specific part number afm and throttle body.
this particular models afm is a direct plug and play unit that shares the same electronics and plug as the standard afm and its about +20% larger internally. which is a hell good upgrade for the ˟˟˟˟ty restrictive standard 22r afm. This is now confirmed to work with the older celica 22re as well as the newer 4 runner and other truck 22re engines

inside of 5m afm

plug

toyota part number 22250-43110
nd part number 197110-3020

5m on left 22r on right

above 22r below 5m

5m AFM installed, needed a new intake pipe as the new AFM has a 3'' inlet and outlet. perfect for my pod filter. but not perfect for the original 2 3/4 inch intake pipe.

comparison pic of throttles.

also the TB off this particular mk2 supra shared the same square type TPS electronics and plug and also has a wheel type throttle linkage which is easier to attach than the slide type linkage that is on some other 5m engines. This TB is 60mm which again is a decent upgrade from the standard 55mm unit. I belive that a lot of the newer truck 22re engines use a different type of TPS with a circular plug so this might be irreverent to you guys.

the plan with the throttle body is to get the plenum off a newer 22r out of a 4runner or similar. it apparently has better flow characteristics. i will then bore out the TB flange to suit the 60mm 5mge TB and then figure a way to get the throttle linkage adapted and working before swapping out the old gear for new.

The AFM however went straight in. no issues. works fine, car idles and drives as per usual. however when driven in anger it is a fair bit more punchy, the engine note is more aggressive and the power extends deeper into the rev range. The engine was choking on the restrictive old AFM. this AFM allows the upgraded cam to breathe and do its job right. The engine as a whole has only a little more max power but is much more rev happy with a better longer power curve.