Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

95 T4R GM 4.8l Vortec Swap... The fun begins!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95 T4R GM 4.8l Vortec Swap... The fun begins!

Most everyone of us Toyota Pickup and 4Runner owners that are unfortunately graced with the 3.0L 3VZ-FE motor know the struggle of power. My 95 T4R is one of the unlucky models blessed with this motor. I love my 4Runner, because its the perfect size for me. It's small, darty, easy to maneuver and just plain fun to drive. I plan to keep it until it or I die, so I have to make it mine. I've owned my 4Runner for about 3 years, and for half that time, it was broke down with a burnt exhaust valve. I finally got it running again last September, and the lack of power is just maddening to me sometimes, lol! It has always been in my plan to engine swap it, and today marks the start of the parts gathering process and everything else that goes along with it! I was actually set on doing a Ford 5.0l pushrod motor swap, but I got a great deal on a GM motor. $400 for a 2004 4.8l Vortec V8, complete w/ accessories, harness & computer. Advanced Adapters makes a bell housing kit that will adapt the motor to the R150/R151F type 5spd transmission that I have in my 4Runner.

It will be a while before I get to starting on the actual swap, I'm planning on taking my first big vacation since 2006. I will be doing the research for now, while I build up more funds and more parts. Stay tuned for updates, they may be slow, but I will post them as they come. If anyone has any tips for this type of swap, I would really appreciate hearing them. Please feel free to post them.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bravo, Boomer! Life just changed forever (in a good way), don't plan on ever looking back. I'm still working out the final bugs on a LS1 swap (documented here) and I can tell you it's a lot of work being a tight squeeze, but worth it in every way, cool factor notwithstanding...
Happy to help in any way! Les
Old 02-21-2016, 05:57 PM
FGZ

Congrats on taking the plunge! My HG went and I'm gathering parts for mine too. The most useful threads (still open in my browser, even!) I've found are 88ECToy's BEHOLD and this very helpful gem belonging to magpede. And THIS THREAD on LS1Tech is good, and I think there is no shortage of talk on the topic on pirate.

If you're like me you'll learn a little more each time you read through those. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2016, 05:44 PM

You're too kind there, F, but also very resourceful. Lots of good stuff there, but take mine with a grain of salt, successful results not guaranteed...

Quick question, Boomer. Do plan on buying the things needed or are you more of a fabricator?

Enjoy the vacation. It's LONG overdue!

Last edited by 88ECToy; 02-22-2016 at 05:46 PM.