Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

'92 2wd Pickup 302 swapped drift truck

Old 01-14-2012, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '92 2wd Pickup 302 swapped track truck

11/2019:
Over the years I've been approached many times about the swap and I typically receive a group of the same questions every time. Here are some notes on some of the FAQ I get for the SBF swap. You have to keep in mind that I'm carb'd and running v-belt setup without PS or AC, meaning all I have for accessory drives are water pump and alternator. I did this intentionally and it simplifies things. I can't speak for anyone going with EFI and serpentine belts. I'm also running a GForce T5, but the layout is the same with any 'ole T5 you can scrounge.

0. $1000. Bare minimum it's going to cost you. Plan for double, or 12 times that much .
1. Motor mounts. You can build them, or you can use NWOR mounts. Back in 2011 I spoke with NWOR about their mounts and they were selling at the time as 4WD only due to clearance reasons. I used them and they fit like a glove.
2. Relocate your oil filer. I suggest to stay away from the Transdapt rubber line kit. Buy the adapter only and plumb it with some steel braided line with AN fittings. You'll thank me later.
3. Slightly modify your passenger side tunnel for bell housing clearance. What I mean by modify is either use a grinder to cut away and weld some sheet metal, or take a 5lb mallet and give it a few whacks. The lower "knub" area. Whatever works best for you.
4. Make your own transmission mount. I ended up getting a spare Toyota one, cutting it up and fabricating it to use the factory Mustang rubber mount on the Toyota cross member.
5. Have a driveshaft made. Use the matching T5 yolk with the Toyota flange. I'm running an 8.8 narrowed rear end so I used the Ford flange, but use whatever setup you have.
6. Clutch. If you're using a cable operated T5, you'll have to convert it to hydraulic. This is easier than converting your Toyota pedal to a cable, and it isn't as daunting or expensive as it sounds. Google "Mustang T5 hydraulic conversion". I used the Daze bracket.
7. Headers and exhaust. Probably the single biggest reason I see people turn away from the swap. As of the time of my swap (~2012), I wasn't aware of any set of headers that were a direct fit due to steering shaft and control arm clearance. I tried BBK shorties as well as no-namer China headers, both hit. NWOR sells swap headers, but I can't vouch for them fitting the 2WD.
8. I used my stock Toyota throttle cable.
9. Run the factory dual-sump oil pan. It fits like it was designed to be in there. It's tight, but perfect.
9. Engine running basics. You'll need all the basics to get the engine running. Power, grounds, fuel, etc. This can vary between SBF models and parts, whether EFI, Carb, which distributor you run, etc. Before I upgraded my entire fuel system, I ran a cheap Holley FPR and universal 12V external pump. It worked, I don't recommend it for performance, but it did work.
10. An unlimited subscription to your local beer and pizza mart.

1/2012:

Check it out.

I just put the motor and trans in last week. I took it to the shop for a few hours last night and finished up some things. I still have a few things left before she's going, but hopefully in about 2 weeks. I had the driveshaft finished, but was stolen from my house a few nights ago so I need to have another one made. I need to finish getting a radiator in there some how, and a fuel line. Then she fires up and goes. I also did a 95 4 runner front end swap, and a pretty radical wiring harness tuck integrated with BMW harness. I dont know, I thought it was cool at least.

These are the only crappy phone pics I have so far, but I will be working on it this weekend so I will be putting up some more pictures. BTW, I used the NWOR motor mounts. Flawless

If I get enough interest in the thread, I'll do a write up.

Last edited by Erik Beeman; 11-04-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impressive, most impressive
Old 01-15-2012, 11:39 AM

im excited to see it drift get it goin
Old 03-05-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That is sweet! Nice work! I am just starting a 302 swap in my 86' 4runner, what radiator are you planning to use on yours?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:11 PM

Sweet!

Very nice! I have seen a couple of Chevy conversions, but yours is the first Ford. And your motor looks GREAT!! Cool project.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:43 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Bringing out a dead thread....
Any updates? I'm about to overhaul a 2wd and I'm looking for suspension upgrade ideas.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:59 AM

2wd SBF swap

hey man I saw where you commented on an old post a few years ago about suspension ideas for your 2wd v8 swap? I was wondering if you ever do it and if so did you do anything to suspension? Im planning on doing it to my 91 2wd soon and was just trying to configure a price for everything
Old 04-20-2018, 09:35 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
cvandiver777 I replied to your PM before I saw this thread. I was just looking for some 2wd suspension upgrades, and short of putting an IRS out back.... its stock with new bushings and shocks at all 4 corners.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:57 AM

This truck is definitely still in my possession and it seems almost yearly it gets a hefty round of upgrades.

It's now a 347 stroked small block ford, full fuel system, built rear axle, revised interior and dash, custom t5, ect...
I love this truck!

I keep most of my stuff alive on ToyotaMinis.
https://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/th...-thread.12022/

Last edited by Erik Beeman; 10-30-2019 at 10:03 AM.