Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

4.3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.3 swap

I'm just bought a 1988 4x4 truck. The 3.0 is shot. Thinking about chevy 4.3 for replacement. What all is required if I keep my 5 speed. Also were to possibly find kit and wiring harness. Thanks
Old 02-24-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Its a great swap and fairly easy to do. If you can wire and weld youll be good. As for swap parts check out downey offroad and northwest offroad. There are a few other places. Search and you shall find all your asking right now. good luck with it
Old 02-24-2008, 05:33 PM

Thanks for the info
Old 03-05-2008, 07:59 PM

I was thinking about doing this swap down the road when the ol' 3.0 gives up. I don't have the time or know how to do this myself, so my question is about what would it cost to have it done. I'm just talking a ballpark for everything that is needed minus the engine itself. I have a auto in my 4runner. I'm guessing the labor costs would be really high with something like this, what is the cost for a rebuild usually run. any thoughts.

Last edited by irish80prf; 03-05-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:21 PM

is it harder to do the swap when starting out with a 22re??
Old 03-06-2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by irish80prf
I was thinking about doing this swap down the road when the ol' 3.0 gives up. I don't have the time or know how to do this myself, so my question is about what would it cost to have it done. I'm just talking a ballpark for everything that is needed minus the engine itself. I have a auto in my 4runner. I'm guessing the labor costs would be really high with something like this, what is the cost for a rebuild usually run. any thoughts.
Ide say dont even think about it and sell your truck and get one with a motor you can stand having. If you can fork the $$$ to a shop then hell do it but its gonna be steeeeeep and the best way if you do want to do this is learn it and do it yourself. You will be more satified I think from doing it. If all of the above is not possible then its gonna be more a headache than youll want to deal with. IMO

as for cost of a wrecked truck is about 1500 if not less in somecases. Great to start with a whole rig to pull the motor from. And shop cost were looking at about 90/hr most likely and as far as how long it will take. Ide say a good solid week possibly more maybe less. I dont know but I see it as a bad idea to have shops do the work. A few more things... the cost of labor could be spent towards tools to do the job, also you did it, you know it, its more fun and an amazing learnig experience what more could you want. Take the time to do what you love if you dont have time? make the time! If you want it enough its possible for anyone

It is a great swap BTW
Old 03-06-2008, 07:57 PM

Hey thank you much, I don't think I will have to worry about it anytime soon so by the time I do need to do it, maybe I will have more of the knowledge I need. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about toyota's, this is the first one I've owned. I kinda guessed it would be stupid expensive.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by irish80prf
Hey thank you much, I don't think I will have to worry about it anytime soon so by the time I do need to do it, maybe I will have more of the knowledge I need. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about toyota's, this is the first one I've owned. I kinda guessed it would be stupid expensive.
No worries dude you can make it happen. I say look into by searching here on Yotatech and the web. Youll find all the help you need from it and the people on it. I basically had no knowledge of anything car related when i started my search for my first vehicle. Hell i didnt even know what a brake master was till I started getting into it more and more. Youll learn if you really want to just like everyone can.

Good luck with your projects you may have in mind and I hope to see more and more crazy builds