Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

om617 93 pickup swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
om617 93 pickup swap

Hey guys I have swapped in an om617 into my 93 pickup the engine is in and running but low on power. Engine top end was rebuilt valve job timing chain, block has less then 150K on it. Timing was set 10atdc with a lock tool, maybe I have it too far advanced? stock setting would be 14 atdc. I also am getting air bubbles in my return lines. tonight I noticed that I had a leak around on of my prechamber nuts so I am planning on getting the tool and pulling the prechamber and putting new seals in them all. truck came with 4.56 gear and is stock except for 33x10.50s low end torque is horrible mid range everything seams good then the top end falls on its face.

I plan to re time to stock to see if there is any improvement,
Old 07-23-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 94 4runner is the same gearing and tires. Reset the timing to stock and get the air issue fixed. You should be able to find the pre chamber collar tool on ebay for 50$ I used a bicycle crank puller for the pre chambers on a slide hammer. Sucking air will kill your power. You may want to learn how to properly adjust the Alda for more power. Use a pyrometer and install a control valve for the turbo so you can adjust the boost before the wastegate opens. Don't go above 15psi on the boost. You will get better power. My 94 was never fast, it was quicker than the 3.0 that was in it originally. 22-27 mpg helped me love it. My top speed is 85. I do have the w56 trans in mine. My 79 pickup w/the om617 is much quicker due to less weight. The 94 4runner is 4300#s. Hope this helps! Learn as much as you can about the om617. There is lots of info online about it.