Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

cummins diesel swap?

Old 01-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by redneckzombie21
i never said that i could spell so what the difference.. when spell check auto corrects it that way.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What axles are you running front and rear? And how are you gonna find room for twins? I only know of one man to put a 4bt into a yota and it was a very extensive engine swap. He did run the stock yota axle up front and attached it with a 3-link suspension. He's also running a 3" body lift IIRC. Can you please list in detail what you've done to yours to accommodate the 4bt, or do you have a build thread or something we can look at? I'm sure there's more than one person in the world who's put the 4bt into a 2nd gen yota, but since only one man has posted it online, people are very skeptical that it can be done, and be done right. I plan to do one some day with dana 60's front and rear, but that's a very long way away.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 PM

i got pics on my camera just got to find the cable for it.
i all ready had a custom 3.5 in body lift on the truck. running dana 60 rear axle. front axle is yota, with all upgraded parts. i have 2 optima yellow tops in the tool box. added supports to the frame. to put twins on it the 2nd turbo is going to be where the battery was factory. i got the motor cheep had a bad injector pump making the motor knock so there loss is my gain
Old 07-04-2012, 08:00 PM

For those of you interested... Frito Lay is retiring their inner-city fleet of diesel powered delivery vans (usually a Chevy/Grumann with a 3.9L 4BT Cummins and a GM TH400 via a factory installed adapter plate). A friend of mine bought his '83 with about 125K miles on it for $2500, but they were selling ones with lower miles/recent engine replacement for slightly more than $5k.

Last edited by Nikodemus; 07-04-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:30 AM

were did you order diesel and what tranny does it use prices ect
Old 08-14-2012, 11:15 AM

Another problem with the 4bt.... since they only came in commercial vehicles, they will NEVER be a legal swap into a light truck or passenger vehicles. So if you live in an area where you have or will have emissions testing, you will NEVER get to pass. And to all you guys that are thinking about the Cummins 3.3, it's a Komatsu engine sold by Cummins.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:41 AM

Sorry to dig up an old thread but stumbled on this. I swapped a 3.9L 4bt Cummins into a 91 Yota. Luckily it's an offroad only truck so i wasn't as limited as a guy wanting a Daily Driver. Here are problems i could see for a guy wanting a daily driver.

1. Body lift is an absolute. No way it will work without one. The center of my crank is even with the front piece of the frame. And i still had to mod the hood supports and my intake tube because they hit.

2. Room front to rear makes an issue for radiator.

3. Frame width. Motor needs to be off center to the drivers side if you use a Chevy auto or the passenger side if you run a Dodge manual or the starter will not clear unless you set the motor higher than what i did.

4. Motor is very heavy and hard on parts. I've broken the Dana 60 front twice and the turbo 350 just went into the dumpster. It can't hang either and custom torque converters are expensive. I'm swapping in a 5 spd as we speak.

5. It does vibrate very bad. I did a lot of frame mods to handle the weight, torque and vibration. Any questions feel free to ask.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by lil Smokey
Sorry to dig up an old thread but stumbled on this. I swapped a 3.9L 4bt Cummins into a 91 Yota. Luckily it's an offroad only truck so i wasn't as limited as a guy wanting a Daily Driver. Here are problems i could see for a guy wanting a daily driver.

1. Body lift is an absolute. No way it will work without one. The center of my crank is even with the front piece of the frame. And i still had to mod the hood supports and my intake tube because they hit.

2. Room front to rear makes an issue for radiator.

3. Frame width. Motor needs to be off center to the drivers side if you use a Chevy auto or the passenger side if you run a Dodge manual or the starter will not clear unless you set the motor higher than what i did.

4. Motor is very heavy and hard on parts. I've broken the Dana 60 front twice and the turbo 350 just went into the dumpster. It can't hang either and custom torque converters are expensive. I'm swapping in a 5 spd as we speak.

5. It does vibrate very bad. I did a lot of frame mods to handle the weight, torque and vibration. Any questions feel free to ask.
Do you have any pictures or a thread on it would be even better, I'm looking to do this I'm the coming year. Planning on buying one with the tranny. I already have a manual so the swap shouldn't be too bad. Any good tips like where you modded the frame and how. What axles are you using and did you swap it from a passenger drop to a drivers drop or were you able to keep the passenger drop Tcase