Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

'94 Pickup x 6.5L Chevy Diesel Emergency Swap

Old 05-01-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'94 Pickup x 6.5L Chevy Diesel Emergency Swap

Greetings all! My first post comes with a bit of a rush. My daily, a '93 Silverado 2500HD (5-speed, 2WD, 6.5L diesel) was t-boned. I'd like to save as much of it as possible (damage is all body, nothing mechanical) if the insurance is going to total it. My '94 Pickup 4x4 (22RE, 5-speed) could make great use of a diesel swap, one-ton axles and power steering, but I need to know the price point at which the truck is worth using as a donor (before the insurance takes her!) Here are some of the issues I'm considering as well.

1) Most swaps are for 350's, 5.3's etc. Does anyone have experience with the 6.5, or make such a kit?

2) The IFS suspension will not support the diesel motor safely, and I'd like to swap a one-ton axle to match the GM 14-bolt I have already. What is the most simple, reliable route for this? I've been considering a Dana 60 (width is not an issue in New Mexico, poke 'em out.)

3) What transfer case will hold up (and mount up) to the 5-speed from GM, and what front axle is it compatible with?

I have the complete Chevy truck, and the complete Toyota, and can do any fabrication for installing a kit (leaf perches and mounts, installing engine mounts, basics.) at home. The priority here isn't extreme wheeling, but functionally using the swap that is (unfortunately) falling into my lap. That being said, I plan on U-Pull-ing the new axle and transfer case and staying cost effective.

Last edited by bigtexasrob; 05-01-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Waste of a good toyota.

Why don't you buy another chevy with a trashed drivetrain and a good body??
Old 05-01-2017, 10:53 AM

You're just a helpful little ball of sunshine.

I want to swap it because the 6.5 beats up the 22-RE for it's lunch money. Straight axles are better than IFS. Torque is better than trying to keep up with traffic.Turbo is better than NA. 26 MPG highway is better than 17 MPG. If you don't understand swaps, leave.

Last edited by bigtexasrob; 05-01-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
Waste of a good Toyota.

Why don't you buy another chevy with a trashed drivetrain and a good body??
I kind of have to agree with Millball. I would think you would have to do a lot of fabrication and replace the majority of parts to adapt to the diesel.

I think if you did the swap, you will end up with a Chevy truck crammed in a Toyota body.

Is there anything wrong with the Toyota currently?

Old 05-01-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by old87yota
I kind of have to agree with Millball. I would think you would have to do a lot of fabrication and replace the majority of parts to adapt to the diesel.

I think if you did the swap, you will end up with a Chevy truck crammed in a Toyota body.

Is there anything wrong with the Toyota currently?

Uhh... Check me if I'm wrong, but that's what "swap" means. The Toyota has been sitting for a while, it's never been spectacular. I've recently gotten it running again, but for the twelve years I've had it, it's always needed more power, better mileage. Less truck / more drivetrain means more capable (general rule of thumb, nobody swaps to IFS and 4A-GE, right?). I love the Toyota, but it could use more oompf. Kind of like if you crammed a Chevy into it.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:20 AM

The Toyota also needs most of the lower steering replaced, box, tie rods, bushings, and most everything is rusted. Prime candidacy for a straight axle.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Some swaps make more sense than others, your proposed swap, not so much.

Sometimes you're gonna hear things you might not wanna hear.

I rekon I won't be leavin.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:33 AM

Glad you're still here sunshine. I need the expertise of someone who hasn't completed their "new engine" or has otherwise stock drive trains.

Anyone that has swapped a Chevy V8 care to chime in?

Search this Thread