Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

93 4X4 V6 to 2L-T build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 4X4 V6 to 2L-T build thread

The Engine and bell housing are here so my project begins. I expect it to take several months to complete as I only get weekends to monkey with it.
Its like an adventure into the unknown. So many will this fit, is that going to work things to wonder and worry about.
I'll post as I go along on this adventure.

Clancy
Old 03-09-2017, 09:13 PM

V6 is Out

Got the Old V6 out and will start working on prepping the engine compartment for its new Diesel engine.
Plenty to do there. Looks like all the clutch stuff will need to be moved to the other side.
Change out the bell housings.
The adventure continues.

Clancy
Old 03-11-2017, 04:46 PM

Bell Housing problem

Today goal was to remove the old Gas Engine bell housing and install the Diesel bell housing.
Removal went well.
Install not so good.
Seems I have the wrong one.
This is for a " W" or "G" series trans.
Mine is an R series.
So now I'm back to hunting for a bell housing.
Anyone know where I can find a bell housing
to go between my R150F and a 2L-T diesel ?
Stay tuned

Clancy

Last edited by kibbleking; 03-11-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might consider finding a W56 at a pick and pull to save some headaches. A few of the ones here in the Midwest will let you pull any tranny you want for $150. Just a thought.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:34 PM

I had good luck

The Project is moving forward again. I located a bell housing in Australia that fits. So this weekend I finally un-Crated the Engine.
Looks ok. I'm changing out the timing belt. Removed the EGR. Going to take the intake manifold off and giving it a good cleaning.
Its loaded with soot yuk an muck. I found the fuel cut off thing. But on the other end of the injection pump is a black gadget that kinda
looks like a Throttle position sensor ?? If thats what it is Why is it on a manual pump ? I'll try to attach a pic. Also a pic or two of some other things
That I don't know what are and what there for.
Thanks Whats this do ? What is this thing and whats it do.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:29 PM

Glad to hear you were able to use your existing tranny! I'm in the process of putting a 3l in my truck ( just got the engine) and noticed the same thing. I thought I got a mechanical one, but maybe not. I'll do some reading.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:56 PM

I did some reading on a different toyota forum and it seems those two parts in the above pics are for the EGR system.
There is some kind of an EGR computer thing that make the EGR system work. I've already removed the pipe and am making the
covers to plug off the openings in the Exhaust and intake manifolds. I ordered a couple of new gaskets for the intake manifold so I can
remove it and clean out all the YUK and Soot. Geez its a mess. So those two things can come off and go away.

More later

The project continues..

Clancy

Thanks Rustbucket
Old 04-19-2017, 06:27 AM

Sounds like a very fun project! Lets see some pics of the new lump?
Old 05-04-2017, 03:45 AM

Hi Gang,
The parts are all finally here. New Timing belt, Clutch Etc. I removed all of the EGR junk and made a couple of caps with gaskets to cover the Exhaust and intake holes.
I removed that TPS thing in the above pics. Now the fun of Removing the ECU from the truck. Then hook up all the wiring that used to run through it so my gauges will work.
And hook the four wheel drive wiring back up. Any of the gauges I can't get working I'll just replace with a mechanical or Electro/mechanical gauge. I going to add a boost gauge and
a Pyrometer just for because i can to make it fancy. So getting time to monkey with it all is the issue now. Honey-Doo's Ect.

Clancy...
Old 05-24-2017, 07:12 PM

Heres an update........
I replaced the timing belt.. That seemed to go well..Sadly the new belt doesn't look one bit better than the old one.
I did the clutch today.. I had to order some parts. The slave cylinder I had off the original bell is not going to work.
The off set is wrong. And the clutch fork is totally worn out. Ordering that from Japan. Working on the wiring.
Its a small nightmare. I need to get the speedo , Tach, 4X4 in / out shifter, water temp, oil pressure, volt meter seems to be working ok.
I monkeyed with trying to get the speedo working but no good yet.. All this stuff needs to work without the ECM.. I took it out.

Clancy
Old 05-25-2017, 04:50 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Do you have a wire diagram for the 2L-T? Are you just removing the ECU because the engine is mechanically controlled/injected? I like the idea of less wiring, but Toyota loves to integrate the body wiring into the ECU which makes simplifying the wiring a bit more challenging. I am thinning out my 1KD wire harness at the moment, and so far I have removed about 20 extra wires not counting the complete removal of the SRS system.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:06 AM

RBX,
The wiring diagrams I have are for a 93 4Runner with a V6. Its seems to be the same as my pickup.
Your correct on why I removed the ECU. When I do get this critter figured out I'm thinking I'll have
that many wires out as well. The wire diagrams are handy for figuring out which wires to look for as for
colors but would be nice if it said what they do. Like is it a hot wire, signal ?? Right not for all I know
I have it wired backwards. thinking I'll start by checking fuses today. see if I might have blew something up.

here we go.......

Clancy
Old 05-25-2017, 06:04 AM
RBX

I don't want to come off as a smarty, but the wire diagrams DO explain exactly what the wire does... trace it to a fuse, then its power, trace it to a ground point, trace it to a sensor or control unit then it is a signal wire. Just saying
Old 05-25-2017, 07:02 AM

RBX,
A Smarty is just what I'm looking for.. What you said is very helpful. Here is the diagram I have been using.. Perhaps you can find what i'm missing to get the speedo working.
I really appreciate your help..
Old 05-25-2017, 08:07 AM

Where did you find the wiring diagram, if I might ask?
Old 05-25-2017, 08:47 AM

I did a google search for 93 toyota wiring diagrams. It may have been a post in another forum.
Seems like it was a PDF i downloaded..

Clancy
Old 05-25-2017, 10:12 AM

Ok, thanks!
Old 05-25-2017, 10:39 AM
RBX

Alright, well Toyota EWDs have come a long way...that EWD you posted like many of the 80's vehicle schematics plain sucks compared to newer schematics. If I had to guess I would say the Grn-Red wire is your signal, and its a 50/50 shot at the other two 12v or ground, which is which I'm not sure. I can tell you that the schematic you provided is not for a 93 truck/4runner. Try to find an EWD for the 90-94 truck/4runner find the cluster schematic since that is what you are using.

look at this:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51951070
Old 05-25-2017, 01:19 PM

RBX,
Thank you again,
Yep I think grn/red is the signal..
The black/orange stripe is the hot.. Checked it with a multi meter is hot with key on
So the green/blue must be the ground.. Now ?? is that frame ground ?
I tried running it back to the ground on my charger. I'm still getting nothing.
When i've had enuff of this I'll put my GPS in the window. its got a speedo reading on the
screen all the time. It even knows when your in a speed zone..

Clancy
Old 05-25-2017, 06:07 PM
RBX

Frame ground the sensor.