Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

83 om617 shut off help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
83 om617 shut off help.

Its a 83 om617 I just bought the fuel shut off from Mercedes4x4 and I can't seem to get it right so if anyone has pictures or a way to do it. Could you show and tell me.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:18 AM

I just used the stock Mercedes adla solanoid. And connected it to ignition hot wire. I use the same wire for my glow plugs and my shut off. And mine works flawlessly. Good luck on your build man.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:10 PM

Yepper, I did the same with a vacuum solenoid from a 22re. You never need either when the truck is running.

Here is an auto key-off solution from a fellow with a swap at peachparts:

------
(OM617Yota)
Update:

Finally got around to messing with some vacuum solenoids for a shut-down system. I have two from the Toyota emissions controls that will work, they are normally-open(pass vacuum) when de-energized and closed when energized. I'll wire them up so that they energize with the key on and block vacuum from reaching the shut-down port, and when I turn off the key they will de-energize and pass vacuum to the shut down port. Hopefully there will be enough vacuum in the system to shut down the engine, the electric vacuum pump having also turned off with the key. A larger reservoir might be necessary. I'll also put a small leak in the hose leading to the vacuum shutoff from the shutoff valve, large enough for air to bleed back in and allow the engine to restart, but small enough that it won't interfere with the operation of the vacuum shutoff. No more sucking on a tube!

Ordered the adjustable vacuum switch with hysteresis from EVparts. Should be here in the next day or two, EVparts is only a couple hours up the road from me. My current vacuum switch is from a hot rod company and interestingly enough is also designed for this exact application, but has no hysteresis. It causes the relay to cycle a LOT and the pump to bounce on and off repeatedly after it turns off.
----------
Old 03-21-2014, 05:10 PM

There's a vacuum solenoid on the A/C that you can use. You put a line from the vacuum pump to the solenoid and the other end to the back side of the injection pump (inbetween the pump and oil filter housing). It will open with 12V supplied to it. I put a momentary switch under my dash. You hold the switch for 2 seconds, engine dies, then you turn the key off. Check my thread if you want pictures.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:26 AM

I kinda did the same I tested a connect point for 12v with off and on and wired it into that and grounded out the other wire. And I put a T in the brake line to the solenoid and from the solenoid to the top port on the vacuum port next to the Alda and still won't shut off. So I'ma have to keep trying different things.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:52 AM

Remember its the metal cylinder underneath the white plastic bits here:
(With the Orange/Blue tube)

You should be able to stop it just by sucking on the line, or use a vacuum tester to check the diaphragm. Good Luck! (Also test your VSV)
Old 03-24-2014, 09:03 AM

Hahaha wow I never saw that but once it stops raining here ima go out and test that.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:41 AM

PS, The Plastic bit might not be on your swap, I know they are not on mine, but the shutoff is that cylinder on the back of the IP.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:52 AM

I have that plastic piece but when I looked it up I could never get answers. On what it does.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:09 AM

I believe its for the automatic transmission, Kind of like a throttle valve.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:17 AM

Nice but ima test that out but one more question seeing as y'all are like the only people who have done this swap right. Has anyone took the alda off?
Old 03-24-2014, 10:23 AM

There's no gains from taking your adla off. Just adjust it out until you get a puff of smoke When you bump the throttle. Even diesel makin still runs in ADLA on his super pumps. Just an external one. What a adla is is an altitude compensator.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:27 AM

Ya I've adjusted it but I've seen people take em off and its been like mix thing on it. If it does anything or not.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:29 AM

I did mine too, my throttle response got better but as far as max power I don't think I gained anything.

Last edited by waltt; 03-24-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:45 PM

I took mine off. Won't ever put it back on. The low-end response is outstanding. I get better mileage with it off, too. Someone on one of the OM617 forums was machining a cap for it, which if you come across, please post on here. I haven't been able to find it again. Just make sure you have a pyrometer if you remove the ALDA. Removing it grants you full control of fuel for any boost level. You have to keep your foot out of it from a stop to get good mileage, but if you need to get your rig moving, like off-road which is my truck's main task, you will benefit from having it removed.

You are probably reading ForcedInduction's babblings about why it's bad to remove it. That guy is a psychopath (and goes by many other names) and is banned from most websites.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:48 PM

Ya mines gonna be a play toy so I won't hurt to play with it. But is the pump open or is there a cover for it? After its removed
Old 03-24-2014, 08:05 PM

Per the FSM the ALDA does adjust for altitude (as well as off-idle emissions) , probably not an issue unless you live in the mountains...

Nice to know that it opens up the low-end to remove it, I probably have a bit to gain since even all the way out I've never had it smoke. Hey Joe, have you adjusted your boost or fuel?

----------------------

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...07_1-010-1.pdf

(Ctrl+F and type in ALDA, for the curious...)

Last edited by Cadin; 03-24-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:53 AM

It's supposed to be sealed but mine leaks out a drop of oil about once a week. Not sure what makes it leak.

I've upped my boost to 15psi by adjusting the wastegate and added a Subaru WRX top mount intercooler. The intercooler dropped egt's 300 degrees and definitely added power. Also added Monark nozzle to my injectors which definitely dump in more fuel. I'm getting the truck dyno'd April 26th if the alternator doesn't explode again.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by pyrojoe22
It's supposed to be sealed but mine leaks out a drop of oil about once a week. Not sure what makes it leak.

I've upped my boost to 15psi by adjusting the wastegate and added a Subaru WRX top mount intercooler. The intercooler dropped egt's 300 degrees and definitely added power. Also added Monark nozzle to my injectors which definitely dump in more fuel. I'm getting the truck dyno'd April 26th if the alternator doesn't explode again.

What alternator are you using Joe? And did you have to use a fan with your intercooler, Or did you just install like a TRD hood scoop?
Old 03-25-2014, 01:07 PM

Autozone duracrap gold. I'm on my 4th one in less than 2 years.

No fan for the intercooler. Haven't even ran it with the hood scoop yet. I made my own scoop out of fiberglass. Should knock the egt's down on the highway (can't wait to test it). I'm actually going to attempt to put my hydro-assist cooler on top of the intercooler, with a motorcycle radiator fan off my wrecked bike on top of the PS fluid cooler (to keep the steering fluid cool off road when no air is flowing).

Quick Reply: 83 om617 shut off help.