All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

Reliable Importer for 2JZ-GTE ?!

Old 09-09-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reliable Importer for 2JZ-GTE ?!

Hello again!

Alright, so my decision on an engine swap is pretty much final. I have went back and forth on a Buick 3800 SC V6, Cummins 4BT, now the 2JZGTE w/VVTi. The reasons for settling with the 2JZ= cheap, it has been done (from what I have read and seen), and the power/mpg ratio is really good!

So, my only problem(besides funds ) is where to pick one of these engines up? I have been researching JDM importers for some time now, but I am leary of purchasing from some of these guys. I have found possibly two sites that seem legit, but I was hoping to get feedback from y'all as to who has purchased from where, and who they trust?

I would appreciate the feedback on any JDM importer. I have even went as far as researching purchasing a running supra and pulling the engine, but WOW they are still really expensive. I know the 7m and 1J are great swaps too, and probably even cheaper and easier to come by, but the 2JZ has VVTi and !!parallel turbos!! that is a big plus for me, just makes the engine that much more efficient.

Thanks All!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by chukarhunt
The reasons for settling with the 2JZ= cheap
Huh? Compared to what? You could build one insane 3800 w/SC for the price of a 2jzgte swap. Just sayin'... I've never seen the words 2jzgte and cheap together. Hell, for the price of my 7m swap, I probably could have had a decently tuned V8 LS motor in there, and I started with an entire supra donor vehicle. I would really suggest having a donor vehicle to work with for any engine swap because it makes it cheaper and much easier in the long run, but good luck finding a donor turbo supra for under 10k, and that's only if its been rolled down a mountain a few times.

Word of advice, if I were to do my swap over again, I probably would have went with a V8 of some sort just for the low end torque. PM me if you are still interested in a straight 6 turbo swap though, I've got a ton of info.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by egesledder
Huh? Compared to what? You could build one insane 3800 w/SC for the price of a 2jzgte swap. Just sayin'... I've never seen the words 2jzgte and cheap together.
lol, I guess you do have a point! I thought the 2jz was better bang for your buck, HP per dollar, but the 3800 is definitely the cheap way to start out, and I have found all the adapters I need to make it work. Just my luck with the 3800 hasn't been so good, even though I think it is a great engine. My buick lesabre's first engine hydro locked on coolant after the upper intake warped, and then 2 years later on the second engine (junkyard) it spun a bearing.

Sooooo, needless to say I would probably end up doin a complete rebuild of one before I dropped it in the yota. But they are great engines (constantly got 26mpg around town and over 30mpg on the highway, with plenty of power to sit you in the seat). Maybe I will have to think about it a little more, but I would still like to hit you up egesledder. I have seen you pop up quite a bit reading through all the engine swaps, so I respect the knowledge you have at hand.

As much fun as a V8 sounds, I do want fuel economy. I know I may never see more than 22mpg with any engine I drop in there, I do need to get every last bit I can . Where we live it is nothing but highway driving, so it is nice to save on fuel where we can.

Thanks for the help! I am still open to suggestions!